Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Used CGC slabs......

Old 11-21-07, 10:52 AM

Used CGC slabs......

I have some very important books that I wish to keep in the best possible condition. Now, I realize that geting your books slabbed is the best possible way of keeping your books cared for. The problem is I still like to reread these books occasionally? I like the presentation of the "slab" also. Does anyone know of a place to buy used or new cgc slabs that are not sealed? I looked on the CGC site and nowhere did I see such a thing? Any ideas? Thanks guys....
Old 11-21-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you should look into something like toploaders, which are thick plastic sleeves which are open at the top, and you can just slide a bagged/boarded book into like you would a bag. You may have seen people use something similar to these for ball cards, but they make them for comics and magazines as well.

I used to buy stuff from a place called BCWsupplies.
Old 11-21-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love toploaders. Seriously. For my important books, I use Mylites plus an acid free bag slid into a top loader. The books look fantastic that way and they are protected very well.
Old 11-21-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coincidentally, I was looking at this site last night because of an ad in a current comic: http://millcase.com/

Might be nice for a few books, but I couldn't see doing a large number this way.

Awesome Disclaimer! Bronkster in no way is endorsing this stuff, or has even used it before. Investigate thoroughly and draw your own conclusions.
Old 11-24-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mattrat
I have some very important books that I wish to keep in the best possible condition. Now, I realize that geting your books slabbed is the best possible way of keeping your books cared for. The problem is I still like to reread these books occasionally? I like the presentation of the "slab" also. Does anyone know of a place to buy used or new cgc slabs that are not sealed? I looked on the CGC site and nowhere did I see such a thing? Any ideas? Thanks guys....
CGC doesn't sell them by seperately. If they did the empty case could be used for fraudulent purposes. As for used CGC slab... In order to get the comic out of the slab, the case has to damaged to do this.
Old 04-22-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Used CGC slabs......

So I've been wondering the same thing. ARe there any type of slabs for comics that at least look like CGC slabs?
I have some signed comics that I'd like to put in slabs but not interested in getting them graded. Grading has no interest to me to be honest.
At the same time, I really dont want to display in cheap top loaders.

I mean, what is the cheapest grading. Would CGC just slab my comics without grading?
Old 04-22-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe try some of these:

http://www.thecollectorsresource.com/
Old 04-22-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure I've seen non-graded, slabbed comics but I can't really point you to where you might get them.

I doubt CGC sells them.
Old 04-23-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Comic Book POD is cool but at $20 I could just head to Michaels and get something similar, cheaper.
It looks just like a thick border picture frame.

I think maybe my best bet is to scour eBay and find a cheap graded comic with a low grade. Open it up and I'm set.