Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel jumps into the digital age

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Re: Marvel jumps into the digital age

Anyone a current subscriber to this? They recently sent me a 30% off coupon for a year's sub and I was wondering how people like it or if it is worth it.
Old 05-11-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Reminds me, I got a sub with my Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 SE.. hope it didn't expire...
Old 05-11-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Anyone a current subscriber to this? They recently sent me a 30% off coupon for a year's sub and I was wondering how people like it or if it is worth it.
I love it. I don't use it as much as I use to, but when I first got it, I was devouring comics. Well worth the money. I probably won't renew, simply because you can get to where you've read all you want and don't have enough unread to keep going year after year. But I highly recommend it.
Old 11-16-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I finally subscribed to this. They still have no ipad app, but I just got a kindle fire and the browser is usable if you do a page at a time (though this is still not as intuitive or as easy as comixology).

The gaps in series are annoying... I'm not sure if it's due to incompetence, or if they just don't care, or if they are sneakily trying to get you to buy tpbs to fill in missing issues, but you'd think at least the last ten years would be covered. The organization also seems like a joke, unless I'm missing something. It's very hard to just read complete runs. And I tried to search for, say, all comics "released" between Jan 2000 and Jan 2001 but they use the digital release date, which is fine if you want to see what's new but useless if you want to go by publishing date (there's also a comic published in 2004 that was apparently added online in 2001 via time machine).

But hey, lots of stuff to read, and I was running out of space anyway. I would still love for them to introduce an app, but that probably would tick comixology off or violate some agreement. A few weeks ago, there was a 99 cents sale that I passed on because I checked and all those issues were available in this unlimited sub.
Old 11-18-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^Can you download your own files onto the Kindle to read? I have so many comics on my hard drive that I want to just read on it and not sure if I can.
Old 11-18-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can load files from your computer via the usb port, however you'll need to buy a cbr/cbz reader from the app store (or if you have one for android already, you can load it as well). Currently I only see one app that's in the actual Amazon app store, i think it's 2.99, but because I don't have a usb cable yet I haven't bought it.
Old 02-07-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So have the gaps in the series gotten any better? Just curious since I got my new tablet and was thinking about subscribing (though I am waiting for another coupon since I seem to have gotten a ton of them recently but just not in the last few weeks).
Old 02-07-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are still gaps, but they've been filling them... there are just so many that it depends on what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure you can check what's available before you subscribe. That way you can also test out the functionality on the tablet...
Old 02-07-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a ton of comics on dvds and don't really need to subscribe but it would make my conscience feel a little clearer...you know what I mean?

DC still hasn't stepped into the digital much have they like Marvel has, have they? Comixology is a great idea but there is just no way in hell I would ever pay 2 or 3 bucks an issue for a digital comic. I prefer the subscription based way like Marvel is doing it. Are there any other comic companies doing it like Marvel or is it just the single issues thru Comixology (or some other program)?
Old 02-16-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a total dumbass and just read this after subscribing to Marvel and then finding out this on their FAQ:

I'm also a Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscriber. Can I access my subscription via the app?

No, the Marvel Comics app for Android does NOT currently support this functionality.

40 bucks down the drain.
Old 02-16-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does your android device use Flash? If so, you should be able to read it via the browser, although it is more cumbersome than the app.
Old 02-16-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I am a total dumbass and just read this after subscribing to Marvel and then finding out this on their FAQ:

I'm also a Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscriber. Can I access my subscription via the app?

No, the Marvel Comics app for Android does NOT currently support this functionality.

40 bucks down the drain.
The way I see it, you already paid Marvel. And there are plenty of free CBR readers for the Android. IMO you'd be totally in the clear, ethically speaking.
Old 02-17-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I almost signed up for that, but when I read it didn't support iPads I ended up skipping it.
Old 02-18-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The way I see it, you already paid Marvel. IMO you'd be totally in the clear, ethically speaking.
I agree with you but if the program had worked at least thru the browser on my tablet I would have kept it. But it was worse than fujishig even described it. It works great on the laptop but trying it on the tablet (again, thru the browser...the app worked great) and it would just crash, not work properly or not even load. I thought it was maybe something I was doing wrong but I tried it dozens of times. "Cumbersome" was an understatement.

Why the hell have the unlimited subscription but not allow it to work thru their app? It just makes no sense. I will definitely subscribe when they fix it but for now, I sent an email to their customer service and got my sub promptly refunded. I gave them the reason why so hopefully they get a lot of complaints like that and fix it in the future.

I paid money to see Ghost Rider in the theater so my conscience is clear.

Another thing...their pricing, as others have mentioned, is way too high. I was going to buy "Maximum Carnage" thru the app to try it out (and my kid loves Carnage for some reason) and they want $25 for all the issues. Hell, you can buy the trade brand new on Amazon right now for under $20.

Bah...I will stick to my comics dvds, legit and non-legit, and wait for them to catch up with the app and the pricing on collections. I still buy enough trades, omnibuses (omnibuy?), and movies and junk to support them and feel okay.

I have always believed that if something is not in print and you get it buy digital means, be it book, comic, magazine, movie, music, etc. then it isn't stealing. It's the companies fault it isn't available legitimately so fuck 'em at that point. And I am glad the third party sellers are getting a little screwed at this point after over charging outrageously for back issues for so many years. It was one of the reasons I got out of comics in the first place.

By the way, I am enjoying the (legit) gitcorp disc of the House Of M so far. Never read it but it is okay though some of the tie-in issues are either confusing or suck. When Peter Parker finds out what is going on, I actually felt bad for him. I plan to start their complete collection of The Civil War after HOM.

Yes...I am that behind in comics. Haven't really read anything since giving them up around 1990 other than a lot of comics history books and the magazines Back Issue! and Alter Ego (from www.twomorrows.com ) which I cannot recommend enough!
Old 02-21-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The reason they don't update it to work on the ipad, I assume, is to keep the money flowing through their Comixology app.

I don't know what kind of Android tablet you have, but on the Kindle Fire, you have to set the page to view in something other than the default... I forget what it's called, but you basically look at one page at a time. Even with that, it is cumbersome (and forget about two page spreads) but it's easy enough to use that I get my bang for my buck for my sub. You can also look at stuff like Splashtop remote, which will let you connect to your computer and view the browser... this is how I originally tested it on my ipad. But yeah,anyone looking to try it should try the free preview issues before dropping money for a sub.

Check the comixology sales, including the Monday ones that Marvel has every week... for the 99c price point, I bit on a few things I normally wouldn't.

I love TwoMorrows, but the problem I have with Back Issue is that you really have to like what they cover in that particular issue to get the most out of it. As I usually order stuff a few months in advance, I usually don't order it unless I can tell from the cover that it's something I'll really enjoy.
Old 02-21-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't know what kind of Android tablet you have, but on the Kindle Fire, you have to set the page to view in something other than the default... I forget what it's called, but you basically look at one page at a time.

I love TwoMorrows, but the problem I have with Back Issue is that you really have to like what they cover in that particular issue to get the most out of it. As I usually order stuff a few months in advance, I usually don't order it unless I can tell from the cover that it's something I'll really enjoy.
I have an Acer 500. Not sure how to find the setting you mention though.

I understand what you mean about Back Issue! but even when they have issues on comics that I don't know much about or have little interest in, I still read the damn thing cover to cover usually.

I keep hoping for an ALL Jim Shooter issue. I keep trying to remember to suggest that though most people would probably balk at it. He fascinates me whenever he is interviewed or whenever someone talks about him (usually with despise).
Old 02-21-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you read Shooter's blog? He occasionally posts some interesting things (from his point of view/recollection, of course).
http://www.jimshooter.com/
Old 02-22-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Have you read Shooter's blog? He occasionally posts some interesting things (from his point of view/recollection, of course).
http://www.jimshooter.com/
Awesome. Had no idea. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-09-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So all 3.99 Marvel comics are going to come with a digital copy. I wonder if they'll lower the price of the day and date digital releases, since they are also 3.99...
Old 03-09-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is that the big news?

I got this email today:

I was hoping they were going to announce that the unlimited digital subscription would work with the app version and not just online.
Old 03-09-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think so (I got that email earlier too), because it's not March 11, but who knows? The description (Marvel's revolutionary new way of reading comics) doesn't seem to fit, though.
Old 03-19-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the 20% off coupon for Marvel Digital Unlimited, and took the plunge. Looks to be a pretty good deal so far---I really like the format of their reader.
Old 03-19-12, 01:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

How's the selection of 70-80s stuff? I may have to look into this, as my new iPad is opening up the world of digital comics to me.
Old 03-19-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
How's the selection of 70-80s stuff? I may have to look into this, as my new iPad is opening up the world of digital comics to me.
I've only been on about 24 hours, so I can't give you a definitive answer---just from browsing, they seem to have a pretty decent selection from all eras.
Old 08-05-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quick question: now that Marvel Unlimited is up and running on the the iphone and android, if you buy a subscription, can you use it on say, an iphone AND an android tablet? do you have to have two subscriptions or will one sub work for both devices?

They are currently running a special but a year and get 2 months extra and I am thinking about trying it but my son has an iphone (touch) and i have an android tablet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.