Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Was Ultimate Spider-Man good past issue 50?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working my way through the oversized hardcovers of Ultimate Spider-Man. I've really enjoyed the first three volumes (issues 1-34 if I remember right). I'm about to start on volume four.

Anyone enjoy this beyond issue 50? Should I plan ahead and have the next few volumes handy when I'm done with volume four?
Old 11-11-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Volume 5 might be the absolute lowest point of the series, and volume 6 wasn't all that much better. On the other hand, I enjoyed volume 7 and volume 8 well enough -- they're hit or miss, but the highs are high enough to make 'em worth it -- and I really loved the recent Clone Saga collection.
Old 11-12-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought that b&n HC that had the first 50 issues in it as well, and I enjoyed reading them ok, but was not motivated to continue on. However, I'm really curious to see what Bendis did to change the Clone Saga, so I might just jump forward and read that someday.
Old 11-19-07, 09:30 AM

The Clone Saga has nothing to do with the original comic story, which is why it is great. There was a lull in the middle, but Hollywood and the two-issue arcs were really fun. USM is one title that has been consistently good, you may want to consider reading more.
Old 11-28-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I started out loving Ultimate Spider-Man and gradually grew to loathe it. I just wish they'd take Peter off on his own new storylines instead of re-hashing (and in the process gangraping) classic older storylines.

I think my turning point was the way Jean DeWolffe was handled.
Old 11-28-07, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Personally I started out loving Ultimate Spider-Man and gradually grew to loathe it. I just wish they'd take Peter off on his own new storylines instead of re-hashing (and in the process gangraping) classic older storylines.

I think my turning point was the way Jean DeWolffe was handled.
I'm all for the "gang-raping", myself. I love the old stories, but they could use an update/re-imagining...it makes them new and fun all over again. If it was just new adventures, it might as well be in the old MU (which I no longer read).
Old 11-28-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I'm all for the "gang-raping", myself. I love the old stories, but they could use an update/re-imagining...it makes them new and fun all over again. If it was just new adventures, it might as well be in the old MU (which I no longer read).
You're not understanding what I'm saying. The re-imagining isn't that bad, it's that they do it poorly, thus gangraping the story instead of telling a better version. Once again, I'll bring up Jean DeWolff. When she died in Spectacular Spider-Man, it meant something. It was important. It was an event that shook Peter's world to the very core.

In Ultimate Spider-Man, she was a throwaway character that meant absolutely nothing. It was almost like pissing on the history the character represented.