Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

??'s about Complete Comic Book Collection dvd-rom's

Old 10-26-07, 11:08 PM

??'s about Complete Comic Book Collection dvd-rom's

I found out about the up coming Iron man dvd-rom set, and found out there are more. ie Spider-man, X-men, Capt. America...

do these really have all issues from 1st appearance? Including appearances in other books?
Also do the dvd's install jpeg's or is the disc spinning the whole time you are reading the pages?

Amazon.com has info but I would like to know what issues are included, does someone have a link that lists whats in each volume?

thankz
Old 10-27-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only have the Spider Man CD set. Yes, it's EVERY Amazing Spider Man comic from issue 1 to I think 300 or so. Every page, every ad, every Bullpen Bulletin and all. But, no, not every appearance, and if a story crossed over with another comic, forget about reading the other part of the story unless you have the original comic.

My only disappointment with the CD set is the older issues are obviously scanned from the original comics. (Well, all the issues are scanned from the original comics, but the older ones look worse because of the condition of the pages). I know they had to do what they had to do, but I was hoping for something that looked better in quality, like what they do with the Masterworks series and what not.
Old 10-27-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When these things drop the PDF method (I HATE those) and go CBR I would definitely buy them. I agree that I wish they could do something about those older comics, but I guess it isn't cost efficient? As cool as they are, I would drop the ads and letters columns in favor of them scanning those issues from masterworks or something where the image is better.
Old 10-27-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
As cool as they are, I would drop the ads and letters columns in favor of them scanning those issues from masterworks or something where the image is better.
No way. I love looking at the old ads and reading the letters page. Most of the people I know who bought these collections agree.

Kids these days...want to cut up & cut out everything.
Old 10-27-07, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
No way. I love looking at the old ads and reading the letters page. Most of the people I know who bought these collections agree.
I agree, though I think I'd probably still buy them if they only had the comic content. But the letters, ads, etc, are a great bonus for me, and seeing the "newsprint" look is cool, too. Especially since I had lotsa letters printed back in the day (I've read Marvel Comics for around 40 years).
Old 10-28-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish the letters and all the ads and front and back covers were included in the Omnibus collections. Seriously! It might add to the page count considerably, but it would be great fun.
Old 10-28-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I wish the letters and all the ads and front and back covers were included in the Omnibus collections. Seriously! It might add to the page count considerably, but it would be great fun.
Agreed. Plenty of memories there as well.
Old 10-28-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Letter and all are cool, but if I'm honest, I won't read them. I would rather have the better quality image from new releases. But that's just me.
Old 10-28-07, 05:43 PM

I know the basic original story's but have never read them. I only got comics as a kid when I was sick & never really got into them. Back in the late 80's or beginning 90's X-men did that major reset (back to #1) and a friend got me into the X-men stories X-men, X-factor, Cable, ect. I went back & got all the Little Mutants (the one with Cable's kid group??)
I collected for a few years but just got bored nothing ever really changed..

OK enough history back on topic.
I'm only gonna get 1 to start & see how I like these DVD rom's. Which would be the best to start with?? 40 yr's of X-men (this is wear i'm thinking of starting), Amazing Spider-man or Invincable Iron Man??

Also any links to full contents?? thankz
Old 10-28-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would wait on the Iron Man collection. BB or CC will likely have a sale on these when the Iron Man movie comes out in the spring. They did for the Fantastic Four & Spider-man DVD-rom sets.

I have the The Avengers, FF, Spidey & X-men collection.

But you know what my favorite DVD-rom collection is...Absolutely Mad (53 years of Mad Magazine). The damn thing is awesome.