Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Seriously what's up with Marvel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only buy the Ultimate titles...and 95% of the time, only in HC collections. Though I've read Marvel since...well, since before I could read.
Old 09-29-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've actually always felt comics were like that. Well mainstream comics. That they work on a five year continuity scale. With some exceptions like Johns or Waid, most books operate on a five year scale.

I mean a ton of shit has happened to Batman, but so much of that is dropped once the story is over. No Man's Land? That was HUGE and that is barely mentions. Hell, he was on trial for murder a couple of years ago and that is practically forgotten. I think the worst of all is the murder of Spoiler. The weight Bats gave to Todd never really was applied to her, and she might get a mention here or there, but her death doesn't feel as "cannon" as Todd's or Batgirl's crippling.

Mainstream comics suck at this. Across the board.
Old 09-30-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoilers dead? I remember when she got introduced. Sort of sucks since I liked the character when she was in the Robin book.

How did it happen? Spoil the Spoiler.
Old 10-01-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I've actually always felt comics were like that. Well mainstream comics. That they work on a five year continuity scale. With some exceptions like Johns or Waid, most books operate on a five year scale.

I mean a ton of shit has happened to Batman, but so much of that is dropped once the story is over. No Man's Land? That was HUGE and that is barely mentions. Hell, he was on trial for murder a couple of years ago and that is practically forgotten. I think the worst of all is the murder of Spoiler. The weight Bats gave to Todd never really was applied to her, and she might get a mention here or there, but her death doesn't feel as "cannon" as Todd's or Batgirl's crippling.

Mainstream comics suck at this. Across the board.
If by mainstream comics you mean superhero stuff published by DC and Marvel, you'd be right, they can't do drastic changes to their iconic heroes without eventually coming back to the status quo, especially with soo many creators working on the same characters over the years, all wanting to put their own spin on the characters and/or discarding characters that they no longer care about. I loved both Young Justice and the New Warriors, and now I think the majority of both teams are dead or forgotten.

Wasn't the old joke that the only comic book characters that haven't come back from the dead were Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben? Guess Ben's coming back soon.

If by mainstream comics you mean superhero comics in general, I think the creator owned stuff is a little better at this, mainly because of the amount of control the creators have over the continuity.