Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Some amazing auctions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some amazing auctions

Some amazing auctions closed on Ebay this weekend...

This is the granddaddy of them all....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

The condition of some of those old books blows me away.

Another huge collection sold, apparently to another dealer:

And this haul for $8000.00 is amazing:

Apparently the guy selling these got the comics from a warehouse where they have been stored for quite some time.

Yet another...

I won this auction myself:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-760-Bronze-Age...QQcmdZViewItem

I was shocked that I won...I thought for sure that lot would go for more but it looks like the dealers watching these auctions got caught up in the Marvel/DC lots.
Old 08-20-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ha. I have some Charlton stuff that I got for free. Never bothered to read it, it seemed so cheesy.
Old 08-20-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Ha. I have some Charlton stuff that I got for free. Never bothered to read it, it seemed so cheesy.
It's amazing how much that stuff goes for, though. I can get the better comics CGC graded and turn my meager investment into some serious cash. Of course, it will take time and work, but I certainly don't plan on keeping all 7 boxes.
Old 08-20-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on that great buy. I had the Six Million Dollar Man comic pictured in one of the lots for years. This auction reminds me of one for every Nintendo NES game and a new top loading NES a few months ago. It was sick.
Old 08-20-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want the cover of Fantastic Four #1 on a t-shirt. I don't care if it prevents me from getting laid. It's too damn cool.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 08-20-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts
Every once in a while I look at the Ebay comic book auctions sorted by price. I remember one auction which included the shipping container that was completely filled by the comics.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 08-21-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
I want the cover of Fantastic Four #1 on a t-shirt. I don't care if it prevents me from getting laid. It's too damn cool.

cheers,

-the Jesus
I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find classic comic book covers on shirts.

Not the shirt you were looking for, but I found this in a quick Google search...
http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-T...QQcmdZViewItem

I find the title mildly amusing...
FANTASTIC FOUR T-shirt (Comic Book, Marvel, Not DVD, 4)
I am sure they put "DVD" in the title to get more hits on the search, but I like how it says "not DVD." In case there was any confusion.
Old 08-21-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Every once in a while I look at the Ebay comic book auctions sorted by price. I remember one auction which included the shipping container that was completely filled by the comics.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Thanks. I paid for it last night and am hoping this turns out for the best. I figured if 30 % of the collection is not in good shape (and talking to the guy who was selling it that's what he estimated) that would leave me with about 1500 comics in good to great shape to sell off. So I spent about a dollar per comic. Estimating I might want to keep a least a long box worth of old Charltons for myself, depending on what's in there, I might have 1300 to sell off...I should be able to make back my money plus a nice profit to make it worth while, but why am I so worried?
Old 08-22-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's always a bit scary, buying comics off eBay, so don't feel badly about being worried.

You shouldn't be worried...Ross Koondel is a pretty solid seller, even if his reserves are always crazy ass high. I've found a few NeatStuffCollectibles auctions in my price range in the past, though. They're good sellers and they always seem to have the biggest auctions...rest assured when and if I ever open my own shop, I'll definitely be hitting him up for about 20-30,000 dollars to use as my inventory (that way I can add to my collection and not dip into it so much...though I do have some books, runs and duplicates just waiting to be sold).

I've oftentimes thought about doing just that...buying large lots of comics off eBay and reselling to make a profit. I thought if one was dedicated, they could make a good living earning 40-50,000 dollars per year just listing auctions for a few hours per day (tax free, too...and you can pay for your hobbies). The problem is, I don't want to spend that much time on eBay or that much time trying to offload garbage...but that's what's nice about getting an eBay store...if you don't mind selling at reasonable prices. Also, one has to have a pretty good savings account to begin with.

The reason is, dealers like NSC buy inventories from going-out-of-business comic stores, dealers and old collectors, which means they do not have the time to root through every single box trying to pick out all the pristine copies of ASM 129. That's good news for the purchaser. I promise, you'll make money. Even on Charltons, which I loathe. You'll make even more if you can add to the investment with CGC time.
Old 08-26-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
It's always a bit scary, buying comics off eBay, so don't feel badly about being worried.

You shouldn't be worried...Ross Koondel is a pretty solid seller, even if his reserves are always crazy ass high.
Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't really find the reserve on my auction high...about a dollar a comic seems really reasonable.
Old 08-28-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got them today. Several copies of some crap comics like Gunfighters, but there are a few treasures in there worth a special trip to get them CGC graded before selling them off.

A few of them have a mildew smell to them...does that devalue the comic? They look like they are in mint condition otherwise.
Old 08-29-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
A few of them have a mildew smell to them...does that devalue the comic? They look like they are in mint condition otherwise.
Have those CGCed. You can't smell anything through the plastic.

Seriously though, what "gems" were included in the lot?
Old 08-29-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But would a CGC grader mark a book down if it smelled musty?

And I take it by your use of the quotations in gems, you really don't think there could be some gems in a Charlton lot?
Old 08-30-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I should sell my comics in a big lot - I have about 10,000. And I PLAN to sell them in pieces, but haven't done so because of the work involved.
Old 08-30-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I got them today. Several copies of some crap comics like Gunfighters, but there are a few treasures in there worth a special trip to get them CGC graded before selling them off.

CGC may lower the grade because of a high mildew smell. I haven't seen any Charlton Comics in many years. As I recall they were all made on very cheap newsprint. Even the covers on some were newsprint and not glossy paperstock. That's possibly why they smell bad.

How is the condition on most overall? Was it only 30% that were in bad condition as they said or was it more? I've looked at their auctions in the past, considering buying a lot or 2 to resell. they have a lot of negative feedback though, so I'm not sure what to make of them. That 60,ooo lot for $8k looked like a good deal though. You could take out sopme of the good stuff and sell the rest at cons as $1 deals.
Old 08-31-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the conditions are fantastic...Such as a copy of Emergency #1 I pulled out that looked perfect...it's gotta be a 9.6 or better. A lot of them are yellowed at the top, and there were a few that looked like they had water damage.

I think the 30% estimate was pretty fair. Not all of them are unsellable...Might go for a few dollars for lots of them on Ebay if I assemble them with a good variety of titles. Make the bulk of my money on the mint stuff that's harder to find and sell off the rest in lots of five to ten comics on Ebay...that might be the way to go.
Old 09-30-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have some lots of the horror books that are damaged or not of a high value I might be interested. I used to love to read those.
Old 10-13-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Just curious how the OP did with reselling these titles. I'm looking at some of Neat Stuff collectibles auction lots now.