Comic Care and Storage Thread

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Care and Storage Thread

Old 08-12-20, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Comic Care and Storage Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor
Continuing my ranting/thinking out loud, I decided against putting the comics in storage. I think they'll be safer here at home, even though my upper floor does push 80 in the summers. Plus I really do want to get back into reading them and organizing them and filling in holes and probably getting rid of a good chunk of them. If I put them in storage I'll never make progress on those goals.
Good idea. Also, renting a storage space for anything other than a short-term period of time is an extreme waste of money. Even if you rent one for just a month for your excess comics, you may be spending more money on the storage than the comics are worth.

And even if that doesn't happen in the first month, it will definitely happen as time goes on. So, I don't see this as a viable - or cost-effective - option. In fact, I see long-term storage facilities as akin to flushing money down the toilet.
Old 08-13-20, 01:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
Good idea. Also, renting a storage space for anything other than a short-term period of time is an extreme waste of money. Even if you rent one for just a month for your excess comics, you may be spending more money on the storage than the comics are worth.

And even if that doesn't happen in the first month, it will definitely happen as time goes on. So, I don't see this as a viable - or cost-effective - option. In fact, I see long-term storage facilities as akin to flushing money down the toilet.
I’ve had a storage site almost my entire life. I’ve flushed a lot.
Old 08-16-20, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I’ve had a storage site almost my entire life. I’ve flushed a lot.
Haven't we all?
Old 12-23-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 586 Likes on 338 Posts

Thought I'd bump this again to post a few photos of my Comic Room. This shows the bulk of my collection, but I also have miscellaneous things like cards and whatnot in other closets.

The first two pix are the same wall - I just couldn't back up enough to get it all in one shot. The last pic is the closet in that room. I built the side shelves in there.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bronkster:
BackStJoe (12-26-20), ddrknghtrtns (03-02-21), PhantomStranger (12-24-20)
Old 12-24-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like how organized your collection looks and the comics seem easily accessible for reading. Gives me an idea of something I might copy.
Old 03-02-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! The metal racks were a bit more than the plastic, but so much sturdier it's well worth the extra cost!

Has anyone been getting stuff from the BCW site? My last order was all screwed up because they kept changing the availability date for a back-ordered item. I eventually canceled it when they couldn't provide a date beyond "maybe by next month?". I just looked again (reluctantly!) because I need to order bags and boards again. Hardly anything is available! Probably 75-80% of their bags and boards are on backorder! A few not available until September! I don't know what's going on, but I'm having to buy off Ebay now, which sucks due to price mark-ups. Is BCW trying to ruin their own business?
The following users liked this post:
story (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I ordered 10 of these racks last year when they were sold for $49.99. They fit 3 short boxes per shelf (12 boxes per rack). They are light but sturdy and fit well if you use BCW short boxes with the short houses.

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/5-ti...0-h-black.html
Old 03-02-21, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Thanks! The metal racks were a bit more than the plastic, but so much sturdier it's well worth the extra cost!

Has anyone been getting stuff from the BCW site? My last order was all screwed up because they kept changing the availability date for a back-ordered item. I eventually canceled it when they couldn't provide a date beyond "maybe by next month?". I just looked again (reluctantly!) because I need to order bags and boards again. Hardly anything is available! Probably 75-80% of their bags and boards are on backorder! A few not available until September! I don't know what's going on, but I'm having to buy off Ebay now, which sucks due to price mark-ups. Is BCW trying to ruin their own business?
BCW has been having issues getting their inventory since the pandemic started. Most, if not all, of their items are produced overseas and the raw material has been scarce as of mid July of 2020. I placed an order with them back in December for short boxes, silver age bags and boards and they were supposed to have shipped by the beginning of February. I'm still waiting for them and really need them.
Old 03-02-21, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
BCW has been having issues getting their inventory since the pandemic started. Most, if not all, of their items are produced overseas and the raw material has been scarce as of mid July of 2020. I placed an order with them back in December for short boxes, silver age bags and boards and they were supposed to have shipped by the beginning of February. I'm still waiting for them and really need them.
Ah, that makes sense. I kinda thought that the pandemic had some effect, but didn't consider the overseas aspect. Sucks that you're still waiting. And just think; even after BCW gets supplies and ships your stuff, you'll have to deal with the DeJoy Postal System delays! AUGH!
Red Hood (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 05:27 PM
Banned

Ah, that makes sense. I kinda thought that the pandemic had some effect, but didn't consider the overseas aspect. Sucks that you're still waiting. And just think; even after BCW gets supplies and ships your stuff, you'll have to deal with the DeJoy Postal System delays! AUGH!
I went with UPS free shipping option so no getting screwed by DeJoy
Old 03-04-21, 04:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I work for the post office and you did the right thing going with UPS. The new policies are destroying the post office. No one agrees with anything he is doing.
Red Hood (03-04-21)
Old 08-09-21, 11:22 AM
Banned

Prices for BCW supplies keep increasing and worst of all, everything is backordered.
Old 08-09-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Prices for BCW supplies keep increasing and worst of all, everything is backordered.
I've been using Ebay. The costs are higher - although some sellers are reasonable - and some offer free shipping.
Old 03-21-23, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bumping for a Public Service Announcement!!

I was rummaging through a box of comics today and came across my "extra" copies of Superman Forever (the one with the truly cool Alex Ross lenticular cover). But I noticed that there were spots - white-ish little spots all over them!! Pulling them out of the polypropalwhatzis bags, they appeared to have a powdery substance on them! With a soft cloth I was able to wipe it off and they look ... okay again. I'll be using mylar bags for them now, and hope there isn't some reaction to those.

Anyway, for those of you who have lenticular covers, you may want to check to ensure there isn't any weird chemical reaction going on.

Keep your comics safe!!
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Awhile back, when I was re-bagging and boarding my Superman books, I noticed my Superman Forever was the exact same way. I was able to clean it (carefully) but it as weird. My copy of Sensational Spider-Man #0 had the same issue. All other lenticular covers looked okay.
Bumping this instead of starting a new thread. I was going through my binders of comic trading cards (I was a total sucker for those in the '90s!) and came across the binder with the Star Wars lenticular set - and they ALL had the same "lenticular rot" that had infected the comic covers mentioned above! These cards were in the Ultra-Pro card sleeves, in the binder, stored in a closet away from light and heat and whatever else. I took one out to see about maybe trying to clean it or whatever, and promptly forgot about it a few days. When I looked at it again, it looked ... better?? I took a soft cloth and wiped off whatever was left and now it looks almost as good as new!

Curious, I grabbed my copied of Superman Forever (now in mylar, but still affected by rot!) and Sensation Spider-Man #0, which also was looking really sad! Both had a "tacky" feel to them, making me reluctant to want to wipe a cloth over them. So I let them sit out and "dry" for a few days. The Spider-Man book had the most improvement, and then looked great after a soft cloth wiping. Superman was a bit more difficult, but still a noticeable improvement! Below are Before and After shots of each.

I have no idea what's causing this, and am curious if it's more widespread. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-21-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Since the problem seems to clear up by itself (at least to some degree) when you take the comic or card out of its protective bag/sleeve, it sounds like the residue might be the lenticular plastic outgassing. When they're left sealed up, the gas doesn't have anywhere to go and either turns into a liquid or crystalizes, and when you take them out and leave them in the air for a while, it sublimates or evaporates.
Old 03-21-23, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Since the problem seems to clear up by itself (at least to some degree) when you take the comic or card out of its protective bag/sleeve, it sounds like the residue might be the lenticular plastic outgassing. When they're left sealed up, the gas doesn't have anywhere to go and either turns into a liquid or crystalizes, and when you take them out and leave them in the air for a while, it sublimates or evaporates.
I thought of something like that, but the Star Wars cards aren't really sealed; they're in open-ended pockets. Also, I just checked my copy of Batman: No Man's Land and it's just fine! Weird ...
Old 03-22-23, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

The rot depends on the bag and board where the book is in. Seen the same type of issue with hologram covers. Some of the bag and boards sold back in the 90's were not truly acid free, thus creating this rot on these types of books. Changing the bags and boards does the trick for the most part.
Old 03-22-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Spectre
The rot depends on the bag and board where the book is in. Seen the same type of issue with hologram covers. Some of the bag and boards sold back in the 90's were not truly acid free, thus creating this rot on these types of books. Changing the bags and boards does the trick for the most part.
That was one of the first things I considered, which is why I moved the Superman Forever into mylar. (I'm trying to remember if I tried to "clean" it before I did that, or if the rot returned anyway). But that also doesn't explain the Star Wars cards, in Ultra-Pro sleeves with no board. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency to the problem. But I appreciate the ideas and comments! Keep 'em comin'!
Old 03-22-23, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

That was one of the first things I considered, which is why I moved the Superman Forever into mylar. (I'm trying to remember if I tried to "clean" it before I did that, or if the rot returned anyway). But that also doesn't explain the Star Wars cards, in Ultra-Pro sleeves with no board. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency to the problem. But I appreciate the ideas and comments! Keep 'em comin'!
Ultra Pro card sleeves were not acid free back in the 90's even though they claimed to be. These sleeves, depending on the thickness, would turn yellow and sticky. Are these the ones that the Star Wars cards were in?
Old 03-22-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Spectre
Ultra Pro card sleeves were not acid free back in the 90's even though they claimed to be. These sleeves, depending on the thickness, would turn yellow and sticky. Are these the ones that the Star Wars cards were in?
Not noticing any yellowness, but they do have a bit of "tackiness" when I try to slide them out, so you may be correct there.
Old 03-27-23, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I learned the hard way not to use masking tape when sealing bags and boards. I bagged and boarded my entire collection back in the 1990s. Most times I'd use the normal scotch tape or whatever but a couple batches when I ran out I used very sticky masking tape. Stored away for years, the glue eventually melted and became a mess inside the longboxes. Didn't damage any comics but I more or less had to toss most of the bags.

One issue I've had opening old bagged comics of mine - the tape clings too well and makes opening them a real pain.
Old 03-27-23, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 432 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
One issue I've had opening old bagged comics of mine - the tape clings too well and makes opening them a real pain.
Yeah, I've kinda noticed that low-quality clear tape does that. So, I used high-quality 3M-branded Scotch tape, and that seems to work well. What does everyone else use?

Also, how many pieces of tape does everyone use? I used to use two half-inch wide strips, but then I switched to a single 3/4-inch wide strip in the middle.
Old 03-27-23, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

This is how I keep my bags taped shut:

Two pieces of Scotch-brand Magic tape (green label) about 1 1/4" long on the sides. The tape is placed so that the bag is only sealed by about 1/8" of tape. This makes the bags easier to open; the tape less likely to stretch, misshape, or tear the bag; less likely for the tape to stick to the comic cover, and prevents the corners from folding up.
Old 03-27-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

I use two pieces of tape but I do vertical not horizontal. What you say makes sense about being easier to open.

I like the Scotch matte tape but was cheap last time and got Dollar General brand and I can already tell it sticks too well and will be a problem in the future.
Old 03-27-23, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I have no idea what quality of tape I used decades ago, and got tired of mangling the bag trying to convince the tape to unstick itself, I've taken to using an exacto blade very carefully to slice the tape. Since there's a board underneath I know the comic is in no danger, and done gently enough, doesn't even scar the board. Then I just retape it when I'm done.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.