Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Let's talk about what comics you're reading in June, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I think it's because Civil War made us hate Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, et all so much, that the beat-down that Hulk's giving them is sorta cathartic.
Old 06-14-07, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
WWH fell totally flat for me. I can't even sum up why, and with so many people drooling over it, I feel like I'm missing something. Ah well. I'm still interested to see what's going to happen.
[spoilers]Some plot points really bothered me. I don't like how Spider-man was thrown in there with no confrontation between him and Iron Man. Also the evacuation of Manhattan seemed like pointless filler - and lessened the drama, since all the innocents were out of the way. I guess the story was trying its best to make The Illuminati the criminals and Hulk a hero - or anti-hero, without giving us cause to hate him. [/spoilers]
Old 06-14-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
[spoilers]Some plot points really bothered me. I don't like how Spider-man was thrown in there with no confrontation between him and Iron Man. Also the evacuation of Manhattan seemed like pointless filler - and lessened the drama, since all the innocents were out of the way. I guess the story was trying its best to make The Illuminati the criminals and Hulk a hero - or anti-hero, without giving us cause to hate him. [/spoilers]
Spoiler:
Nice spoiler tag!!

I agree with the Spidey/Iron Man thing - with all the crap going on in the Spidey books, I felt like I missed a few issues of something where Pete and Tony kissed and made up. Unless we're just supposed to accept the "common enemy" concept. Other than that I thought it was a good start to the WWH arc. Hope it keeps up the pace.
Old 06-14-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally went to pick up my books at the shop last weekend... for the first time since the end of March. Really didn't have too much backlog. 2 issues of Hulk (and the Worldbreaker special), 3 Punishers, 2 Daredevils, 1 Captain America, 1 Astonishing X-Men....and 1 Walking Dead. ONLY ONE ISSUE OF WALKING DEAD??? How far behind is this book getting? Anyway, I am still very pleased with these few titles I'm reading. World War Hulk has me giggling like a school girl. It's so freaking awesome!!!

The shop owner asked me if I wanted to start picking up the new THOR book that was coming out, since I had him pull the previous series for me. I just kind of shook my head "no", and one of the other customers spoke up, "He probably lost interest as soon as he heard who would be writing the new book". Then we both had a laugh because he was 100% correct.

Also had a little store credit left over, so I picked up Essential She-Hulk for the hell of it.
Old 06-14-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you read the Thor Ragnorok storyline? That is such a gem that seems to get overlooked because it was part of disassembled.
Old 06-14-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Did you read the Thor Ragnorok storyline? That is such a gem that seems to get overlooked because it was part of disassembled.
Yeah, I actually collected that entire Thor series, from the Heroes Reborn #1 reboot all the way through Oeming's Ragnarok. It was a great way to end the run, especially after a rather long stretch of weak issues.

And as much as I've liked Thor over the years, I can't bring myself to EVER spend money again on a book with Straczyski's name on it.
Old 06-14-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
Just read about the whole
Spoiler:
skrull
plot on newsarama, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
Old 06-15-07, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Just read about the whole
Spoiler:
skrull
plot on newsarama, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
I'm curious to see where the take this since WWH is starting so the tie-ins will be soon. Maybe this plot will be back shelved for Hulku and pick up later? Or just plain forgotten?

The next issue of Amazing Spider-man hopefully will go in to a little more detail of why Peter and Tony are very friendly right now. Remember, WWH is just the main issue, it won't tell us anything besides what's happening main stream plot points.
Old 06-16-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know what's funny. Love it or hate it, Marvel's Universe is about as cohesive as it has been in I can't say how long. Maybe cohesive is not the right word. I remember some readers not caring for the early 00's with Marvel Knights being the shit and so many characters off doing their own thing with little interaction in the universe as a whole. Now, Marvel feels a lot like DC did right before Infinite Crisis to me.

Not saying this is a good or bad thing, just an observation.
Old 06-20-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bronkster
Spoiler:
Nice spoiler tag!!

I agree with the Spidey/Iron Man thing - with all the crap going on in the Spidey books, I felt like I missed a few issues of something where Pete and Tony kissed and made up.
When Spidey calls Iron Man "boss" they deliberately put quotations around the word. It's supposed to imply sarcasm I think, so I don't think they are at all friendly.
Old 06-22-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a little ways off, but I'm really looking forward to the wedding/marriage/adventures of Green Arrow and Black Canary. Those are two of my favorite characters, so heres hoping the title they both call home kicks ass. I just wish Gail Simone was writing it, but I wish Gail wrote pretty much everything.
Old 06-23-07, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Same here. I loved the way they had Ollie confess to Dinah that he made all the changes in his life for her. It's emotionally mature moments like that that remind me that Comics aren't just for kids....well...that and the violence, sex, and big boobs.
Old 06-23-07, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Meglos
When Spidey calls Iron Man "boss" they deliberately put quotations around the word. It's supposed to imply sarcasm I think, so I don't think they are at all friendly.
See, I understand it's sarcasm but they just tried to inject Spider-man with those nanites which would have suppressed his powers. In my opinion, Peter and Tony are on extremely friendly terms at the moment. Seeing as the whole "let's try and take powers away" and threats, etc.
Old 06-25-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Same here. I loved the way they had Ollie confess to Dinah that he made all the changes in his life for her. It's emotionally mature moments like that that remind me that Comics aren't just for kids....well...that and the violence, sex, and big boobs.
And isn't it amazing that there is an outcry against the marriage? I've seen a lot of "How could you ruin Dinah like this!" "Way to throw away all that characterization Gail built up in BoP!"...etc. Like, shut the fuck up. I know comic fans are resistant to change, but on what planet does deciding to get married make a person weak? Not to mention she has a kid now and Ollie has his family tree. If this book is done right it could be something really special.

Letting characters evolve? Whowouldathunkit?

Clark and Lois are pretty much the first couple of DC, but they've always seemed like the prom king and queen to me. Dinah and Ollie seem more real and down to earth.
Old 06-25-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Xerogod
See, I understand it's sarcasm but they just tried to inject Spider-man with those nanites which would have suppressed his powers. In my opinion, Peter and Tony are on extremely friendly terms at the moment. Seeing as the whole "let's try and take powers away" and threats, etc.
Well, this is Marvel. Who knows when (or even if) it takes place in regards to the Spidey books...

I think it might've been Quesada who said there was no more continuity in Marvel...
Old 06-25-07, 02:35 PM

I'm not crazy about the Ollie/Dinah wedding myself. I'm not a Green Arrow reader, so I haven't caught any of her appearances there, but my problem with it mainly comes down to her leaving the BoP. Dixon & Simone managed to carve this nice little role for her in this book, which was essentially all about her and Oracle, with a few new characters thrown in for variety. One of the core elements of the book was the Dinah/Barbara friendship, and that whole dynamic is gone.

I don't really care about Ollie, so for me, the adventures of Green Arrow & Black Canary, Husband-and-Wife Crimefighters is a poor substitute. I guess if Chuck Dixon or someone was writing it, I would be more interested.

It's also part of this larger DCU trend of late where a lot of stuff established in the late '80s/'90s is being wiped out/reverting to an older status quo. The old Dinah/Ollie romance has been over for years and years; putting them together again feels like it was done because Dan DiDio loved it in the '70s or something.
Old 06-26-07, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sinestro Corps...

Can't. Wait.
Old 06-26-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sinestro Corps...

Can't. Wait.
I like the Tales of the Sinestro Corps backup stories better than the actual Green Lantern comic.
Old 06-27-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
Heard the guys at my LCS talking about the 5th issue of "Fallen Son - Captain America" that's due out next week. They say that the "big rumor" is there will be "some sort of big media event" accompanying this issue, similar to Cap getting killed. Not a for-sure thing, but I figured I'd give y'all a heads up just in case.
Old 06-27-07, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Heard the guys at my LCS talking about the 5th issue of "Fallen Son - Captain America" that's due out next week. They say that the "big rumor" is there will be "some sort of big media event" accompanying this issue, similar to Cap getting killed. Not a for-sure thing, but I figured I'd give y'all a heads up just in case.
Rich Johnston has reported that it will not be "Dead Captain America" big, but it will be "Gay Batwoman" big.
Old 06-27-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superboy
I like the Tales of the Sinestro Corps backup stories better than the actual Green Lantern comic.
Yeah, those SC stories are good. I'm still a huge fan of all things "Lantern" so I'm diggin' GL's book. I hope the Sinestro Corps continue to keep trying to get Batman. That's going to add to the already tense relationship between Bats and Hal.
Old 07-02-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Picked up Black Summer #0, a new Warren Ellis book. Worth the 99 cents for the preview.
Just read this over the weekend. The artwork almost has a Darrow eye for hyperdetail. It's an interesting idea for a plot, even though I think it goes too far. That said, I'm still preordering #1.
Old 07-03-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just had to note that this week makes the one year anniversary of when I pre-ordered LOEG The Black Dossier.

I keep asking this every couple months: are we getting any closer?

Edit: Apparently the latest "set" release date is October 3rd!

Last edited by Chew; 07-03-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 01:49 PM
Banned

It's been on the news this week, it is going to be Captain America's funeral in this week's Fallen Son book...We gotta wait until Thursday this week for our weekly comic book fix...DAMN!
Old 07-03-07, 08:54 PM

Is it a slow news week over there at the States? 'Cause Cap getting buried hardly qualifies as a "big media event". The guy's dead. Of course there'll be a funeral.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.