Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

I might be buying a comic book store...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might be buying a comic book store...

depending if the loan all goes through. Any suggestions for do's and don'ts?
Old 05-27-07, 05:49 AM
Banned

IMO I am not sure buying a comic book store is a smart decision at this time...Comic sales are quite low, cover prices are too high for most people. The local store in my area just had a 75% sale on their inventory to help keep the store open. This is the last comic shop in my area. They also sell alot of gaming cards, action figures but even after the 75% sale they still had a ton of stock left...Finally remember with a comic shop Wednesday is the day for the most business with the new release books, the comic shop owners tell me there are days they can barely stay awake.....

Last edited by Wildo1966; 05-27-07 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-27-07, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Linn1
depending if the loan all goes through. Any suggestions for do's and don'ts?
Here's a thread from another forum about what people want from a comic store
here

But no matter what you do, open a retail business is incredible risky (expect to lose money for quite some time). and a comic store specifically is even riskier as it's so dependant on loyal repeat business (so if there's already a popular comic store in the area, you'd have a hard time stealing customers.
Old 05-27-07, 06:55 AM
Banned

Another very important point...Discounts on new release comics. I am pretty sure you will offer a reserve service for your customers, well in this day and age the discount is extremely important. My LCS offers 15% off new titles, I have seen some online sellers offer 40% off. I have seen alot of stores in my area close up, some offered 10% off, some even 20% off. If you are starting a new store you will need to pull the new customers in, which means giving that discount. Also you might want to advertise in a local paper...
Old 05-27-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Try to sell other things too that could appeal to the same demographic i.e. used DVDs and video games (don't bother with new ones, very little profit margin), toys, snacks, etc. Anything that might make you a little extra profit, take advantage of the traffic that will already be coming into your store.
Old 05-27-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Keep all the inventory for yourself
Old 05-27-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe go around to a bunch of other comic stores that are close enough to drive to within reason. Bring some friends and see what you do or do not like about how other people set things up.
Old 05-27-07, 12:24 PM

Be nice to customers...that seems really obvious, but there's something about comic and record stores that brings out the biggest know-it-all douchebags. Be prepared to help customers and treat them how you'd want to be treated.
Old 05-27-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take if from someone who has managed a comic book store for over 5 years, the BEST advice I can give you is, especially since you have to take out a loan & I'm guessing are not very rich, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT buy a comic book store. Unless you don't have to pay rent or utilities of any type, it is near imposssible to make any type of profit from a comic book store. The only way to even stand a chance, would be to already have a built in customer base (ie, taking over a store & inheriting their subscribers). Simply looking at this forum should be reason enough not to buy a store, almost everyone here buys there comics on-line.

Trust me, I know every in & out of running a store, I know all the discounts, all the tricks, & especially how difficult it is to do an order every month. Seriously, I can't stress enough what a bad move it is to own a comic book store, unless you are very rich.
Old 05-27-07, 01:52 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If your still going to do it, I remember when my local comic shop was struggling. They started a Thursday night game night, people would come in and play Magic the Gathering. They use to make up for poor sales on those nights. Good Luck.
Old 05-27-07, 02:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Take if from someone who has managed a comic book store for over 5 years, the BEST advice I can give you is, especially since you have to take out a loan & I'm guessing are not very rich, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT buy a comic book store. Unless you don't have to pay rent or utilities of any type, it is near imposssible to make any type of profit from a comic book store. The only way to even stand a chance, would be to already have a built in customer base (ie, taking over a store & inheriting their subscribers). Simply looking at this forum should be reason enough not to buy a store, almost everyone here buys there comics on-line.

Trust me, I know every in & out of running a store, I know all the discounts, all the tricks, & especially how difficult it is to do an order every month. Seriously, I can't stress enough what a bad move it is to own a comic book store, unless you are very rich.
I totally agree. I've been managing a store for nearly 3 years now and this rings true.

If you go through with it I wish you good luck
Old 05-27-07, 02:23 PM

I noticed that there is a chain of comic stores here in the Phoenix area that dedicate almost half of their stores to manga and anime. That seems to make up for lack of interest in comic books.
Old 05-27-07, 03:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Where are you located? Is this the only comic book store in town?
Old 05-27-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I think two things save my LCS

Gaming- They have a large game room that is packed with tournaments every weekend, and during the week there are game clinics held

Promotion- Seems like the store is everywhere inb the community. At the theater during opening weekend for every comic themed movie, charity events, indy stuff, etc.

For ex this weekend in town is WeFest, which highlights indy music, so yesterday they had a band at the store playing, and Indy comics were $1.

Now bear in mind I dont shop at my LCS as much anymore due to prices. They charge $20-$22 for DC direct toys, that I can get at the mall for $15, or $10 on eBay. And the highest discount they would offer on pull boxes was 15% off, and I was subbing to 30 titles. They have a mentality that they do us a favor by being a comic store.

So dont rely on just comics, get involved to get your name out, and price is everything.
Old 05-27-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Instead of a local comic book store why not create a comicbook mail order business. This offers a much better chance of success and has virtually no overhead that you would with a brick and mortar store.

90% of comic book sales are new books. There's virtually no back issue market at a store fron level. Even if you're in a large metropolitan area you'll have a hard time findind a customer base for back issues; and most back issues will only sell for a $1.

Better than a LCS would be to sell at all the big comicbook conventions they have. You'll have more customers looking at your back issues there in a weekend then you will at a LCS in over a years time.
Old 05-27-07, 07:09 PM
Cool New Member

if you do it good luck.. a games room would be a good idea as well as selling online.
Old 05-28-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Be nice to customers...that seems really obvious, but there's something about comic and record stores that brings out the biggest know-it-all douchebags. Be prepared to help customers and treat them how you'd want to be treated.
I know I stopped shopping at the first comic book store I frequented when the manager who'd been there forever left, and they hired a couple of jackasses. These guys ALWAYS acted like they were doing you a favor by getting my books from my pull list. They always acted like I had banged their mother when I dropped a book. And they always made me feel like shit when I didn't feel like keeping a book they suggested and they decided to put in my pile. Eventually, I took most of my business to another store. No idea if a lot of customers felt like me or the market just caved, but the store eventually closed.
Old 05-28-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only advice you need is don't do it.. The comics market sucks right now. Diamond doesn't give a shit about the LCBS anymore. Marvel & DC don't either, as they're too occupied trying to get more of a foothold in the big retailers.

Why is the previous owner selling? Have they opened their accounting books to you? Have you hung around the store for several weeks to months on various days to see the traffic?

As more people discover mail ordering, the worse off you'll be. If you're in a major city, you're better off opening a gaming store. I can't believe how well the gaming store has done that opened near my local mall. I thought the overhead would kill them, but instead in the 3 months they've been open they've suddenly had to start thinking about how they can re-arrange the store to make room for more Magic: the Gathering and miniatures players.
Old 05-28-07, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Sorry if I wasn't clear, this is an established comic store that's doing well. The store is in GREAT shape. It's the only store in town, been in business for over twenty years, is located next to a Starbucks and between two colleges, and it has increased profit every year since opening. And this is with VERY little advertising or promotion. It carries a little bit of everything, games, comics, movies, cards, etc. I've run a bookstore for over ten years, both used and at a corporate. If the store does go belly up, I can still pay it off with the stock. The owner has to sell because he's up a creek with his wife having health problems and having already moved to Texas because of them. He's currently having to pay for two locations and all his wife's bills, and he's gone down to the wire.

Last edited by Linn1; 05-28-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-28-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure it's not impossible to succeed with a comic book store, but you have to have the right model too. It sounds like this store might have the right model for it's respective community. At a time when comic book stores are closing left and right, the store I frequent is one of four stores in Houston. If they are struggling, you wouldn't know it by looking at it.
Old 05-28-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With two colleges and a coffee shop nearby, I'd say you should find a way to make a high quality catalogue of trade paperbacks you can order. There's no way to carry them all (not to mention how financially irresponsible that would be), but if you could show someone a catalogue that displayed a small color scan of the front cover and a line or two of text stating what is printed in the TPB along with the price, you could probably do good business there.

If you go that route, also consider adding a blurb of "if you're interested in this, you might also like..." and name a related series or another TPB done by the same writer.
Old 05-28-07, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Luck, My favorite Comic Book stores are the that are well lit and clean and all of the fanboys are in the back of the store, and the isles are wide enough for people to walk down.
Old 05-29-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
There is a store in a nearby city that has done so well that they just opened a third store in a mall. They do a lot of special events for releases and movies. So, that may help a little.
Old 05-29-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I would suggest that you check out Brian Hibbs' "Tilting At Windmills" column at http://www.newsarama.com His older columns (that aren't online) are available in a book called "Tilting at Windmills" from IDW. He offers a lot of nuts and bolts information about comics retail that would probably be quite useful for someone getting into the game.
Old 05-29-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
If it wasn't for the cheap B&W Manga books that the kids love, my local shop would've closed down years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.