Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Dropping some reserve titles today....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropping some reserve titles today....

Well, I have dreaded this moment for a few weeks now...Today at my LCS I am dropping some titles from my reserve list...Does anyone else find it tough to drop books from a reserve list? At my LCS they make me feel so guilty about doing it, asking questions like why am I dropping the book? I know LCS have to order 3 months in advance and they now will be stuck with these books so I understand why they would be upset, but they make me feel bad when I do it and that is why I put it off for so long. I think they will be really shocked when comic prices go up again and I dump about 1/2 of my titles.....
Old 05-16-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I had a reserve list, I would buy the remaining 2 months of books I wanted off my list because the LCS ordered them in good faith for me, and I wouldn't want them to eat the cost if avoidable. But once they know which titles I want off my list, I would not feel bad about not buying the titles 2 months later when they have time to re-adjust the quantities on the orders for each title.

(But then again, this is why I don't have a reserve list at my LCS, I want to be able to walk away when I decide to without feeling the duty to take on 2 more month's of comics if I am done with them.)

Last edited by Patman; 05-16-07 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-16-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember how hard it was to drop books from my list. I was always scrutinizing the solicits for upcoming issues, thinking that now was a bad time to do it. The next issue was always going to be the one that actually didn't suck.

But now that they're gone, I don't miss 'em. Not in the slightest. At some point, after the cut, you'll feel liberated and might even want to drop more.
Old 05-16-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find it tough to drop books because I know that the publisher won't give a damn... it's my LCBS that will feel the loss. They can't just ring up Marvel and say "hey, people are dropping your books here because Bendis can't write worth a shit anymore and they're tired of the 'they're dead / no they aren't / yes they are / you idiot of course they're not' game."

I try to find other things to spend my money on at the shop, either by special ordering items for my store (which I get to write off on my taxes because they're store decorations) or TPB's of older story arcs that I always meant to read.
Old 05-16-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I dropped by entire box last year, just to save money and order online. I didn't get hassled too much, but i think its because my store makes more money on gaming anyway.

Cutting a book is fine with me, cause if the story is worth a damn, it will make a trade, or I'll hear about it somewhere, and I'll just catch up. Comics are too expensive, to hope a title will get better.

I still go at least every other week, for random trades, or like today a new poster.
Old 05-16-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know precisely what you mean, because I dropped a couple today. I only feel bad because it's revenue lost for my LCS, which I know is doing ok financially, but I still want to support them in any way I can.
Old 05-16-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went in today to finally give and drop Ultimates and All-Star Batman and Robin, just because i thought they'd never come out. Well surprise surprise.
Old 05-16-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
not my place

i just ask for my list and i cross off what i dont want.
Old 05-17-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's funny. My old LCBS used to also make me feel really guilty about dropping books, and acted like it was going to be a huge hassle to take them off my pull list. This became such an ordeal, I started just putting them back on the shelf. No idea how much trouble that caused, but I was really annoyed by their act. I eventually stopped shopping there and about a year later the place closed down. That's how much money I was spending. Seriously, I think that the customer service was so poor, business eventually dried up, as at one point this place was the third or fourth largest store in Houston.
Old 05-17-07, 08:44 AM
Banned

Well my LCS was alot more understanding yesterday than I thought they would be...Dropping 5 titles from my list of about 30 titles is a pretty big drop but they told me no problem....I also found out my LCS is having money problems and they are not sure if they are going to close. This is the only LCS in this area, so if they close I have to go online for my monthly books...It's sad how low the comic business is right now..
Old 05-17-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was spending about $100 a month not too long ago (and this is online where it was 35% off at the time).

I decided it was way too much and I wasn't really enjoying a lot of those titles anyway. I'm down to $30-$40 now (and the discount is 40% off) and the titles are mostly just ones "I can't wait to read".
Old 05-17-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the past few years, I've went from pulling about 20 titles to the 5 or so I'm at now. I can't see it EVER getting up to that many pulls again. My LCS guy is always cool when I want to drop something. I'm actually pretty happy with what I'm currently reading, so he knows I'll always be buying SOMETHING at least.
Old 06-13-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was really sad today to walk out with 3 books ... Justice PvP and Hulk ... and a Hellboy animated trade ... really cut down on what i get pulled from about a year ago having about 15 titles a week.