Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions...

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 04-12-07, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when I heard that Buffy was continuing in comic book form I thought oh what a neat concept...I never really had exposure to comic books prior to that. So when I went to the store to get the issue I was quickly drawn into the appeal of comic books and instead of buying the one buffy comic I bought six other comics. As someone who has just started into the comic book world do you guys have any suggestions? I guess at this point I'm finding I'd like to try something other then super hero related, something with a quirkly storyline.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-07, 02:11 PM

Right off the bat, I'll recommend Y: The Last Man. It has the funny/serious tone that Buffy does. It's a limited series (it should end soon, around issue 60), but it's all collected in trade paperbacks. The first issue can be read (legally) here.
Old 04-12-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Libby
So when I went to the store to get the issue I was quickly drawn into the appeal of comic books and instead of buying the one buffy comic I bought six other comics.
What are the 6 books that you picked up, since something about them must have caught your interest. And have you read them yet, did you like any of them?

I can't recommend Invincible & Runaways enough. They are both superhero books, which I know you said you don't want, but they are done with new twists & since you like Buffy, they are very similar in tone & humor mixed with really deep emotional content as well. Plus Whedon loves Runaways & recently took over as the writer of the series.

As for non supehero stuff.

Run out now & by the trades of Fables. In short it's about classic fairy tale characters that are exiled from their fairy tale world by an unknown evil & forced to live in modern New York city. Trust me, this series is brilliant, definitely quirky, but so well told, just brilliant story telling & I really don't see how anyone can not love it once they try it.
Old 04-12-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 295 Posts
Girls is good stuff also
Old 04-12-07, 08:47 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Incredible Hulk --- catch up on the Planet Hulk saga and get ready for World War Hulk

Daredevil -- don't think about how the Ben Affleck movie sucked....this comic is fantastic. I advise picking up a couple of Frank Miller trade paperbacks such as Born Again and Visionaries Vol 2.

Civil War 1-7 trade paperback -- I really enjoyed the main storyline for Civil War.

The Walking Dead -- I have read almost all of them and they are great...especially if you are a zombie fan. Great art and great story.

Last edited by wlj; 04-13-07 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-12-07, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
What are the 6 books that you picked up, since something about them must have caught your interest. And have you read them yet, did you like any of them?

I can't recommend Invincible & Runaways enough. They are both superhero books, which I know you said you don't want, but they are done with new twists & since you like Buffy, they are very similar in tone & humor mixed with really deep emotional content as well. Plus Whedon loves Runaways & recently took over as the writer of the series.

As for non supehero stuff.

Run out now & by the trades of Fables. In short it's about classic fairy tale characters that are exiled from their fairy tale world by an unknown evil & forced to live in modern New York city. Trust me, this series is brilliant, definitely quirky, but so well told, just brilliant story telling & I really don't see how anyone can not love it once they try it.

Wow thank you so much for all these great suggestions, I am actually making a list of them to go and pick up at my local comic book shop. To answer your question the titles I picked up were: Magnitude # 1,2,3 (it is super hero but the comic is actually done by a local writer here in my city and features city landmarks and local celebrities...so that sold me and for super hero and as a new series it really is good). Others included Painkiller Jane 0 I was looking for a strong female hero as well. Runaways # 1 because I like Joss Whedon a lot, and the last one was a new series out called Raise the Dead it looked kinda like the movie Shaun of the Dead and I wanted to see what horror comics looked like.
Old 04-13-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My suggestion would be to pick up some trade paperbacks. Publishers make it very convenient for new readers to sample monthly books via TPBs. I would suggest the first volume of Fables along with Y:The Last Man. If you want some older stuff, pick up The Sandman, possibly my favorite book of all time. Hellboy is more of an occult kind of book than superhero. You might enjoy that it.

Box Office Poison is an independent comic book that has been gathered together into a massive trade. The entire Hate series is now available in TPB too.

If you want a great read with a superhero flavor from a man on the street point of view, pick up Marvels.
Old 04-13-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497155
Read through the comments in these weekly threads and you can get a good idea of some new comics to try out. I know Sessa and b2k often post series that are lesser known/read but great. b2k is the reason why I picked up "Love as a Foreign Language" and I've picked up a few trades/issues due to Sessa's recommnedations.
Old 04-13-07, 09:50 AM

i second "Invincible" also check out "the walking dead"

for great fun/romamce check out "true story, swear to god"
Old 04-14-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Libby
I was looking for a strong female hero as well.
If you are looking for a book with a strong female lead, I cannot recommend enough Queen & Country. It's not quirky but it's got such a bad-ass female lead. It's a Black & white comic about the British Ministry of Intelligence, really pure spy & epsionage awesomness, one of the best comics I've ever read & truly unique, it also has 2 Novels that are excellent, that fill in what happens between issues. You can get the trades pretty cheap around $10 a pop.

Also Fables as I've already raved about, has some of the best female characters in comics.
Old 04-14-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for Y: The Last Man. I've read the first three trades. Good stuff.

Walking Dead is OK, and I'll also add DMZ to the list. Both can be found for relatively cheap as trades.

Best comic ever, IMO, is Preacher (also available in trades).

And if you haven't done so yet, check out the Top 100 graphic novels thread in this forum. Should give you a good starting off point for some older should-not-be-missed collections (like Maus, Astro City, The Invisibles, Concrete, Bone, etc.)