Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

WTF Happened to JMS?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I have to say though, that I think JMS's actual wiriting is pretty good. It's his ideas and plots that are ass-tastic. It's like he sits at his keyboard, cackling, "this'll surprise the shit out of the fans", and sure enough...

I would love to have been in on the meeting where JMS brainwashed the Marvel editors into accepting the storyline of Norman Osborne forcing Gwen Stacy into having sex with him and that she had twins from the encounter and they grew up super fast and fought Spiderman. I mean, sure, these are comics but you have to be out of your fucking gord to greenlight something like that.
Old 07-17-07, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
big JMS comic fan here

ive read every JMS comic mentioned in this thread. i agree that his f4 was weak (for JMS) and i preferred the waid run. i also thought the spiderman started really strong and kinda fizzled out. i do realize that editors made him change parts of his story, and also he had to shape his arcs around the big marvel storylines like civil war (i am guessing they prolly forced the return of the black costume as well, to coincide with the spiderman3 movie). in my opinion his best work is still supreme power and rising stars. if you are gonna pick up anything, grab those two.

coincidently, someone earlier in this thread suggested they should give JMS an icon book. just in case you dont already know this, they actually did do that recently! it seems pretty good so far. its called the Book of Lost Souls
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Lost-Soul...702702&sr=1-65

in addition JMS has one other series going recently called Bullet Points. its basically just a What If story but it's not bad and worth checking out if youre a JMS completist like me!
http://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Points-...702623&sr=1-10

i found the jms and bkv dr strange runs alright, but that character just doesnt do it for me.
Old 07-18-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
i took a look into an issue a few weeks ago and it happened to be the one were peter picks his black costume off the building with the webbing on it.

i really couldnt un derstand what was going on because webs only last a few hours.
i was certai i missed something, but if i had that wouldnt matter because he hid this costume years before i stopped reading and before his new abilities,.

anyway the black costume still being webbed up is completely ridiculous...
I was reading a friend's Wizard (issue #189) and there was a letter to the editor asking why this was. The explaination given from Amazing Spider-man writer J. Michael Straczynski was, "Peter designed his webbing to have a one-hour limit in order to protect people from getting caught in it indefinitely and starving, or otherwise finding themselves in jeopardy. He can alter that to his heart's content; nothing has been established to the contrary."

There's it is. I have read Spider-man in years but that is a pretty lame/soap opera excuse/reason.
Old 07-18-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
The big question is why the hell did he just abandon Squadron Supreme? I wonder how long Gary Frank was sitting around before getting the quick Hulk gig, and now Action comics.

Word is it will return late this year (or early next), with new creators, and JMS's 'blessing'.
Old 08-07-07, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long did we have to wait between issues of Rising Stars? His comic-related storytelling abilities and his release schedules are equally inconsistent.
Old 08-11-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mraor
How long did we have to wait between issues of Rising Stars? His comic-related storytelling abilities and his release schedules are equally inconsistent.

I believe it was 2 years before the last 3 issues of Rising Stars came out, but that was due to a dispute over the potential movie deal. JMS is a crybaby on the level of Alan Moore... if everything doesn't go precisely his way, he declares it as some sort of insidious plot against him and he'll refuse to do any work.
Old 08-11-07, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I believe it was 2 years before the last 3 issues of Rising Stars came out, but that was due to a dispute over the potential movie deal. JMS is a crybaby on the level of Alan Moore... if everything doesn't go precisely his way, he declares it as some sort of insidious plot against him and he'll refuse to do any work.
I hear what you're saying about Moore, but at least the quality of Moore's work is top notch. He does have a bit of that "madness" bug, but I think a lot of writers have their quirks. Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Mark Millar...but again, at least the final product for these guys is typically high quality. JMS doesn't have that to fall back upon.