Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

I ride the short (Omni)bus... binding problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ride the short (Omni)bus... binding problems

I can't believe I keep buying oversized, omnibus style collections. I have had nothing but bad luck with them. I bought the Blankets hardcover when it first came out. Within months of just sitting on my shelf, the pages were sagging and the glued binding started coming loose.

I walked past my bookshelf yesterday and noticed that my Alias omnibus hardcover from Marvel was doing the same thing. The weight of all those pages causes the middle of the book to sag, pulling away from the binding.
So I pulled all of my oversized collections to see which were deteriorating.

The Fantastic Four omnibus from Marvel and my From Hell hardcover are fine. The X-Men and Alias omnibi from Marvel are sagging, and the Blankets hardcover is the worst offender. I think the Fantastic Four omnibus is fine because it is sandwiched pretty tight between other books on a seperate shelf.

I understand that my mileage may vary. I keep all my books away from direct sunlight, on sturdy real wood shelves in our climate controlled apartment. I do not abuse my books, which makes it frustrating for me to see these things fall apart without being read. I am still trying to decide if I want to throw money down on the Miller Daredevil Omnibus or any future Marvel Omnibi. I hate glued bindings!

Does anyone know of a place that can reinforce or possibly rebuild a book on the cheap? Or do I just need to invest in some super glue, and pack my books tighter on the shelf?
Old 03-15-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Speaking of which, has anyone tried to read/maintain those Top Cow omnibuses? They look really huge.
Old 03-15-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
This is why I don't like these giant hardcover books.

Hardcover books with hefty pagecounts are murder on bindings. Especially comics/graphic novels because the paper tends to be heavier than for plain text.
Old 03-15-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
All I have right now is the Alias Omni, and I have checked it for sagging or binding problems. I also have the Frank Miller Daredevil Omni on the way. I haven't looked at my DC Absolutes in a long time either but they're not as thick so I don't annticipate problems with them.

Does anyone store these flat? Any downsides to doing that?

I just remembered that I've been worried about this same problem with my Complete Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes books too. I'll have to go check on them tonight.