Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Just a heads up, DCBservice.com has New DC trades/hardcovers for 50% off.

https://www.dcbservice.com/products/...editions/3ab/1

Some collectors editions and absolutes are included.
Old 07-21-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Amazon has the Multiversity hardcover pre-order up for nearly 50% off.
Old 07-22-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TFAW has over 5000 items for 70-80% off. Imho there's lots of crap, but even if you can only find a couple, 70-80% off is pretty great: https://www.tfaw.com/promos/progressive-sale
Old 07-23-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, I ended up buying about $30 worth of stuff. The code Hankpym gets you $5 off $50, Antman gets you $10 off $100
Old 07-24-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't really know where to put this but a trade-like publication for DC's line of graphic novels is being given away for free at Barnes & Noble. Apparently the bookstore is expanding their graphic novel section and they had a table up in the front with an array of newish DC trades. I think a poster was also being handed out for free. It's called DC Entertainment Essential Graphic Novels and Chronology 2015.

It's pretty nice for a freebie advertising their other graphic novels and includes a checklist of their in-print trade paperbacks. I initially mistook it for another trade paperback.

If you have an itch to pre-order DC trades from Amazon, they have several at nearly 50% off.
Old 08-02-15, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I didn't really know where to put this but a trade-like publication for DC's line of graphic novels is being given away for free at Barnes & Noble. Apparently the bookstore is expanding their graphic novel section and they had a table up in the front with an array of newish DC trades. I think a poster was also being handed out for free. It's called DC Entertainment Essential Graphic Novels and Chronology 2015.

It's pretty nice for a freebie advertising their other graphic novels and includes a checklist of their in-print trade paperbacks. I initially mistook it for another trade paperback.

If you have an itch to pre-order DC trades from Amazon, they have several at nearly 50% off.
That may be a hangover from the DC Pop Cultured Day event. I hope such samplers are popular, though, and stick around.
Old 08-02-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Amazon have Grant Morrison's ANIMAL MAN OMNIBUS for $38, which is reasonably well-priced...
Old 08-04-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gohastings has 50% off used today with code DEALOFTHEDAY. There's a limit of 5 and if you put more than 5 in your cart it won't apply to any.

(shipping was 7.95 for me with 5)

There were some of the Library Edition Hellboys and Fables Deluxe editions available, there's also a copy of the X-Men The Adamantium Collection (62.33 before shipping).
Old 08-04-15, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Gohastings has 50% off used today with code DEALOFTHEDAY. There's a limit of 5 and if you put more than 5 in your cart it won't apply to any.

(shipping was 7.95 for me with 5)

There were some of the Library Edition Hellboys and Fables Deluxe editions available, there's also a copy of the X-Men The Adamantium Collection (62.33 before shipping).
Their shipping is atrocious.

Assuming the used book is even in good/clean condition to begin with, prepare to get a book that gets damaged because of the way it was packaged.

Even if they ship something in a box, most of the time they don't adequately pack it. For example, they would probably put that Adamantium Collection in a box, but then add a few of those big air bubble things, which will instantly get crushed and the book will slide and slam as the box moves through sorting machines. They once shipped an Absolute edition to me in a BUBBLE MAILER.

Their customer service is also atrocious. It's amazing this company isn't out of business yet, though I assume a cash influx from the company that recently bought it is helping it stay afloat.

But if you don't mind used books unnecessarily damaged by the shipping process, buy all you can.
Old 08-04-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ntnon
Amazon have Grant Morrison's ANIMAL MAN OMNIBUS for $38, which is reasonably well-priced...
While I hesitate to order trade paperbacks from Amazon due to their shipping practices, Amazon has a ton of DC trade and hardcover pre-orders on sale around 50% off at the moment. I've never had a problem ordering hardcovers from Amazon, since those seem to get better treatment.
Old 08-04-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kodave

But if you don't mind used books unnecessarily damaged by the shipping process, buy all you can.
Yeah, I hardly order any more except for some
Old 08-05-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Even if they ship something in a box, most of the time they don't adequately pack it. For example, they would probably put that Adamantium Collection in a box, but then add a few of those big air bubble things, which will instantly get crushed and the book will slide and slam as the box moves through sorting machines. They once shipped an Absolute edition to me in a BUBBLE MAILER.
Doesn't sound any different than how Amazon and B&N ship books to me.

Though I will agree that Gohadtings is a horrible company. I ordered from them one time, a DVD that had just gone out of print that they still had in stock, and while it was a "new" DVD still in shrinkwrap, it was so shopworn that it looked like some had run it through a clothes dryer. I would never, under any circumstances, buy a book from them.
Old 08-05-15, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Doesn't sound any different than how Amazon and B&N ship books to me.

Though I will agree that Gohadtings is a horrible company. I ordered from them one time, a DVD that had just gone out of print that they still had in stock, and while it was a "new" DVD still in shrinkwrap, it was so shopworn that it looked like some had run it through a clothes dryer. I would never, under any circumstances, buy a book from them.
Amazon used to ship books right. It seems like these days, it all depends on what the format of the book is. Amazon sticks TPBs in oversized bubble envelopes, so they arrive bent and damaged. They'll ship regular HCs and deluxe HCs that aren't too thick in the fold over cardboard mailers, which are great in my opinion. They also have boxes that are close to perfect for oversized HCs like Omnibuses, but they don't always use them so that could be hit or miss. The plus side is you can just return/exchange or complain to customer service and it will come out in your favor every time.

B&N is a shit show of shipping. Nothing is handled or packaged with care, or put in the correct/best form of shipping protection. I've received so many damaged books from them. The good thing is, if you can talk to someone in CS, they'll often ship you another copy of the book and not even check or care if you send back the first. Someone out there has to be abusing the hell out of the fact that B&N don't link or track replacements and returns. On a few occasions I've benefited from the windfall of having an extra damaged book to flip on eBay because they didn't bother to ask for it back. On a couple of occasions they've also generated multiple replacement copies for me that they then don't charge me for. Their loss prevention just must have their head up their rear end. (But when they do want it back, I send it of course.) The only thing B&N does right is Absolute editions, and that's because they actually leave the Absolute edition in the white box it comes in, and then they put that in a shipping box.
Old 08-05-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I hesitate to order trade paperbacks from Amazon due to their shipping practices, Amazon has a ton of DC trade and hardcover pre-orders on sale around 50% off at the moment. I've never had a problem ordering hardcovers from Amazon, since those seem to get better treatment.
True. I ordered a Thor Epic using mostly points last week and it came in a bubble mailer with one corner bent. I knew that was a danger, though. That's why I purchase most of my trades through In Stock Trades these days. I used to order a lot more through Amazon when their discounts were better and they were using cardboard mailers for pretty much everything.
Old 08-05-15, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Super X
True. I ordered a Thor Epic using mostly points last week and it came in a bubble mailer with one corner bent. I knew that was a danger, though. That's why I purchase most of my trades through In Stock Trades these days. I used to order a lot more through Amazon when their discounts were better and they were using cardboard mailers for pretty much everything.
Just do a return/replacement with Amazon, and then if they screw up again, get on the horn with customer service and do it yet again. It's an annoying process but it might be the only way for Amazon to learn their lesson.
Old 08-05-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just do a return/replacement with Amazon, and then if they screw up again, get on the horn with customer service and do it yet again. It's an annoying process but it might be the only way for Amazon to learn their lesson.
That is how customers get banned at Amazon. The first-level customer service reps of course will automatically replace almost any order for any reason. But Amazon has upper level reps checking on returns and if they believe a customer is getting too expensive to service, you can get banned. Amazon has pretty much shown they don't care about shipping out pristine trade paperbacks, which is why I had to stop ordering them from Amazon.

I'm honestly surprised an efficient business that made its name as a bookseller like Amazon continues to give short shrift to shipping trades.
Old 08-06-15, 01:17 AM

That is how customers get banned at Amazon. The first-level customer service reps of course will automatically replace almost any order for any reason. But Amazon has upper level reps checking on returns and if they believe a customer is getting too expensive to service, you can get banned. Amazon has pretty much shown they don't care about shipping out pristine trade paperbacks, which is why I had to stop ordering them from Amazon.

I'm honestly surprised an efficient business that made its name as a bookseller like Amazon continues to give short shrift to shipping trades.
Yes, Amazon bans some customers for excessive returns, but from the general info out there you need to hit a very high threshold in terms of % returned and the dollar value of what was returned.

It's the people buying several $500 camera lenses then returning all but one that are getting the stink eye from Amazon. They're not going to ban someone because of consecutive damaged TPB returns.

Sure you may see an odd horror story here or there on consumer report websites, but for every anomaly or half-of-the-story we get from those, there's plenty of people not being banned for doing legitimate returns.

It might help if you supplement your complaints to Amazon by filling out packaging reviews and including pictures of damage, though I doubt anyone at Amazon is looking at those.
Old 08-06-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've exchanged dozens of things with Amazon (mostly movies and tv), but never tried straight returns, or to be refunded, except with market sellers (some of whom should be at least fined for falsely advertising product with no shrink and lots of fingerprints as brand new and factory sealed).

I'd guess it makes some difference whether you're just asking for a decent copy and exchanging, or not, but I can only speak for myself.
Old 08-11-15, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I lucked out with gohastings, my omnibus came in great shape, wrapped in bubble-wrap in an appropriate sized box. A couple of the other trades just came in mailers, but they were fine. I think for me the stuff that comes in bad shape is likely sitting in bad shape on their shelf as well, the mailing issues are only part of the problem.
Old 08-12-15, 05:44 PM

I lucked out with gohastings, my omnibus came in great shape, wrapped in bubble-wrap in an appropriate sized box. A couple of the other trades just came in mailers, but they were fine. I think for me the stuff that comes in bad shape is likely sitting in bad shape on their shelf as well, the mailing issues are only part of the problem.
Sometimes it is already in bad shape on the shelf, but I think most of the time certain damage is clearly a result of poor shipping practices.

I've had countless packages from Hastings where the bubblewrap envelope was torn or crushed or damaged during shipping, and sure enough there's corresponding damage on the book based on it's orientation in the packaging.

Conversely I got a box from them with 5 different books that were Marvel overstock from their flagship store. It was actually packaged well, but one of the TPBs was bent to shit. So that's clearly an instance of just having poor condition product on the shelf. But I didn't care about that particular book since it was part of a series where the rest of the TPBs I've bought, all from Hastings, also came damaged like that.
Old 08-16-15, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have any of you used jet.com yet? It has some great prices on Hellboy universe books, especially with the 10$ off $35 first order coupon, but I"m a little skiddish on signing up for another site (and not knowing where it actually ships from).
Old 08-16-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Have any of you used jet.com yet? It has some great prices on Hellboy universe books, especially with the 10$ off $35 first order coupon, but I"m a little skiddish on signing up for another site (and not knowing where it actually ships from).
As far as I can tell it is a store aggregator with negotiated discounts. I believe they pull the offerings from partner stores and order it for you. I made a purchase a few days back and it all shipped from deep discount at prices a little below what they offer(varying discounts per item). I couldn't find any indication of what site they were offering the products from, so you can't really predict where it ships from.

Hope that helps...
Old 08-16-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jet doesn't actually fulfill any of their orders themselves. They use drop-shippers and other sites to fulfill orders. Deepdiscount is filling most of their media orders. I don't know which store is fulfilling their book orders.

All DC & Image books at Instocktrades are 45% off right now.
Old 08-17-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys, I placed an order, so will let you know where they actually come from. If it's a large order, the discounts start to get pretty significant (I was at about $6~ per trade, included the last Farscape book, which seems to stay at around $20 everywhere.

I'm guessing this will be my only order though, the site is far too fiddly, and the search sucks. I can't imagine why anyone would pay to be a member.
Old 08-21-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Twomorrows ( www.twomorrows.com ) currently has a 40% off sale on almost all of their in print books and magazines (except for current releases) right now. It's going on thru the weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.