Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Original Comic Art

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Original Comic Art

So does anyone here own any original art from a comic? I was thinking of picking up something (as I would love to own anything Ambush Bug or Fred Hembeck related), so I'm curious as to what you may have, where you got it, how much it cost, etc.
Old 01-16-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhere I have the last page to an issue of The Avengers, which was drawn by Kirk Jarvinen, an aquaintance of mine. Kirk came close to being a hot artist with work on a story in an X-Men annual, where Wolverine has a dream of fighting his adamantium skeleton. The memorable image is of Wolverine and the Slkeleton merging side by side.

I had a chance to buy some of Norm Breyfogle's art from the Batman "Knightfall" storyline at a convention, but at the time I thought that $75 was too much to spend for a page of art. I soon regretted that after Knightfall became a hot story arc.
Old 01-16-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have about 50 pages of various issues of the Buffy comic, a Farscape page, a double spread from Rising Stars, an Ultimate X-Men page (there might be a couple more) as far as published items.

I think some of my better pieces are actually the commissions or the non-published art.

I will see if I can post some pictures later this week.
Old 01-16-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have quite a few commissioned pieces as opposed to original comic art. You tend to get 'what you want' when you do it that way.
Old 01-16-07, 04:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I have a Scott Saavedra page from "It's Science with Dr Radium", I think something from Flaming Carrot, and a few other pages that I can't recall.

I'd love to get more, including some from Ambush Bug and Hembeck, but my problem is lack of wall space. What I have bought is sitting in a box.

If I recall I paid like $30-50 per page.
Old 01-16-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Ive got the credit - splash page from Punisher #3 (3rd Series) When I was in college Tom Lyle was getting rid of a LOT of his work online, really cheap too. Being college left me broke, but I scored that page for $25.

Also have some original drawings from local boys David Brewer of Evil Ernie fame, and Tom Fleming
Old 01-16-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to have about two dozen pages, but sold most of it off on eBay (which is where I got all of it). I have a Gary Frank page from Godwheel #1 and an Ed McGuiness Superman splash page. In addition, I have a very cool Batman Adventures page from Tim Levins and a Sandman Mystery Theater page by Guy Davis. My pride and joy is a Hate page by Peter Bagge and a Minimum Wage page by Bob Fingerman.
Old 01-16-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have quite a bit of original art from a buying spree that lasted about 2 years, but finally the buying itch subsided for now. A lot of mine are pages from Gary Frank, Greg Land, Ed Benes, and I hope to take some shots of them one of these days (I wish I had a big enough scanner that did 11"x17", but I don't.)
Old 01-16-07, 10:12 PM

here's a link to my collection, i haven't posted much of my sequential art, but i have pages by Mark Bagley (mostly Ult. Spidey), John Cassaday (Planetary and Captain America), Sean Chen (Elektra and Wolverine), Gary Frank (Midnight Nation), Joe Quesada (Daredevil), and Bryan Hitch (Ultimates). I'll be posting a lot of the sequential pages next week, but meanwhile you can look at con sketches, commissions, and covers that i own.

My Comic Art
Old 01-16-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
as I would love to own anything Ambush Bug or Fred Hembeck related
You can get pages of Ambush Bug for near-nothing. I meant to buy a big stack of 'em at one point (it's one of my all-time favorites) but it kinda slipped my mind. I can try to dig up a link if you need me to.

The only original comic art I have is page 13 of Legionnaires #32. Not my favorite issue or anything, but I love Jeff Moy's art.
Old 01-17-07, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You can get pages of Ambush Bug for near-nothing. I can try to dig up a link if you need me to.
If you happen across that link, I'd love it too. Googling now.....
Old 01-17-07, 06:29 AM

Found something, looks like the Ambush Bug pages are $60 minimum. Some of the other stuff is pretty cheap though.

http://www.theartistschoice.com/giffenal.htm
Old 01-17-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the Ambush Bug link!
Old 01-17-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a page of links to my modest collection of sketches I picked up in the past decade, more so in the 1990's than in the 2000's.
Old 01-17-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
here's a link to my collection, i haven't posted much of my sequential art, but i have pages by Mark Bagley (mostly Ult. Spidey), John Cassaday (Planetary and Captain America), Sean Chen (Elektra and Wolverine), Gary Frank (Midnight Nation), Joe Quesada (Daredevil), and Bryan Hitch (Ultimates). I'll be posting a lot of the sequential pages next week, but meanwhile you can look at con sketches, commissions, and covers that i own.

My Comic Art
Dude, did you pick up that page of Midnight Nation on eBay?! I'm pretty certain I bid on that page a couple of years ago!
Old 01-17-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Here's a page of links to my modest collection of sketches I picked up in the past decade, more so in the 1990's than in the 2000's.
Modest? You sly bastard! Your collection kicks much, much ass. Out of curiosity, what is your pride and joy in that collection?
Old 01-18-07, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
Dude, did you pick up that page of Midnight Nation on eBay?! I'm pretty certain I bid on that page a couple of years ago!
if you're referring to the cover, yah i picked that up on the Bay. i bid substantially higher than the final bid so don't fret if you thought it got sniped. i think my final bid was like $881 (actual winning bid was about $400) or something close to that. i wanted it pretty damn bad as it's my second favorite cover of the series. if you're referring to the second to the last page of the series, i got that direct from the same seller and we bypassed EBAY altogether, because he told me after selling the cover, that he had that one as well. now all i need is the final page and the alternate cover to number one, and i'll have my favorites from the series. thanks for the interest.

Last edited by ScottsdaleSaint; 01-18-07 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-18-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar
Modest? You sly bastard! Your collection kicks much, much ass. Out of curiosity, what is your pride and joy in that collection?
Probably this one.

Truth be told, some of the other sketches on that page belong to a friend named "Patrick" (so if you see some signed to "Patrick", those are his sketches, while most of the ones signed to "Pat" are mine). I should go through and post the few I've collected in the past 4 years as well. Just never got around to scanning them.

BTW, anyone know where I could get an inexpensive 11"x17" flatbed scanner? I have a 11"x14" scanner, but that just won't do the job for original artwork, and I hate stitching scans together.
Old 01-18-07, 01:17 PM
Cool New Member

BTW, anyone know where I could get an inexpensive 11"x17" flatbed scanner? I have a 11"x14" scanner, but that just won't do the job for original artwork, and I hate stitching scans together.
What do you mean by inexpensive? I got a flatbed scanner for Christmas expressly for the purpose of scanning original comic art, and it has seemed fine so far.

It's the Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB Flatbed Scanner, which Amazon has in stock and sells for about $160.
Old 01-18-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Thanks for the Ambush Bug link!
Geez, they really jacked up the prices since the last time I looked. They had pages for as low as $15-$25 last year, if I'm not completely misremembering.

Sifting through web.archive.org, apparently I am completely misremembering. "Video Jack" must have been what I had in mind. (I've always had a soft spot for that miniseries that no one else has ever heard of.)
Old 01-18-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HokieGAK
What do you mean by inexpensive? I got a flatbed scanner for Christmas expressly for the purpose of scanning original comic art, and it has seemed fine so far.

It's the Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB Flatbed Scanner, which Amazon has in stock and sells for about $160.
That's a nice price! I was seeing much higher prices, but I suspect it was because I was only finding document feeders/scanners. I'll check out that Mustek model! Thanks for the heads-up.

I notice it only has USB 1.1, do the scans take a long time to get from the scanning process to the PC as an image file?

Last edited by Patman; 01-18-07 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

I notice it only has USB 1.1, do the scans take a long time to get from the scanning process to the PC as an image file?
No, it's pretty much immediate. It takes maybe 20-25 seconds to actually do the scan, but then the file is there right away.

The installation is a little difficult and the software that comes with it takes some getting used to. If you get this and need some help, let me know and I'll guide you through scanning something.

Just in case you're curious about the quality... here's an example I did. Note that Photobucket auto-shrinks everything:

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=ytlm12-4.jpg
Old 01-18-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, thanks for the info. I have a really old HP 4C SCSI flatbed scanner, and it's no speed demon either.

It looks like photobucket is in maintenance mode right now...
Old 01-18-07, 05:40 PM
Cool New Member

It looks like photobucket is in maintenance mode right now...
Check it out here, then. Everything here was done with that scanner except one piece AND it's not subject to Photobucket's shrinking policy.

A couple of the Cerebus pages probably look a little fuzzy -- this isn't because of the scanner. They're framed and the scanner couldn't focus properly.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=19868
Old 01-18-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a chapter stop page from the Violent Messiahs TPB - I loved the series and once I graduated college and could afford to buy original art, this just happened to show up on eBay:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.