Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Need recommendation for comic book cataloguing software

Old 01-07-07, 09:10 PM
Banned

Need recommendation for comic book cataloguing software

Like the title of the thread says. I'm trying to organize my comic book collection and need a good software to keep track of what I have. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-07, 01:35 AM

Have you tried these guys? Collectorz.com Comic Database Software
Old 01-08-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what I use. It's good enough for me.
Old 04-11-07, 09:07 AM
Banned

Has anyone used www.comiccollectorlive.com ? I saw them advertised in the Captain America 25 issue, so I was wondering how good the cataloguing is.
Old 04-11-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Has anyone used www.comiccollectorlive.com ? I saw them advertised in the Captain America 25 issue, so I was wondering how good the cataloguing is.
I downloaded that today. I'm checking it out. Its a little weird. You have to add the series to your catalogue and then add the individual issues. Its pretty good for viewing the collection, but not the easiest to add collections. But comics can be a little hard to organize.
Old 04-12-07, 05:02 PM
Cool New Member

I use www.comicbookdb.com. The site is relatively easy to use and have some cool features that make it easy to add issues. There is a pull feature that automatically adds the next issue of a title, w/o having to add it manually. This comes in handy w/ titles that you collect religiously. Plus it's free!!!
Old 04-15-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

god , i dont even want to think about trying to catalog all my books.

i have about 50 longs.
what fits in them 250-275?
Old 04-15-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do any of these allow you to:
1) Scan barcodes to enter
2) Offer offline saving
Old 04-15-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by drk_knight01
I use www.comicbookdb.com. The site is relatively easy to use and have some cool features that make it easy to add issues. There is a pull feature that automatically adds the next issue of a title, w/o having to add it manually. This comes in handy w/ titles that you collect religiously. Plus it's free!!!
I took a quick look at the site, it seems pretty good.

Question, though - let's say I'm going to a convention where George Perez is appearing. Once I have my comics in their database, can I search my collection for anything done by Perez, or do I just have to pull up a list of his complete work and find the issues I have?
Old 04-16-07, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I took a quick look at the site, it seems pretty good.

Question, though - let's say I'm going to a convention where George Perez is appearing. Once I have my comics in their database, can I search my collection for anything done by Perez, or do I just have to pull up a list of his complete work and find the issues I have?
Unfortunately it appears that you would have to pull his complete work. However, there is a request in the forums for the feature that would pull missing titles based upon different criterias. Although I am not certain if this is being worked on or not.
Old 04-16-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you type in the name george perez and click the checkbox that says in my collection only, it should give you what you are looking for. This is, however, only as accurate as the users that have contributed the issue information.
Old 04-16-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
If you type in the name george perez and click the checkbox that says in my collection only, it should give you what you are looking for. This is, however, only as accurate as the users that have contributed the issue information.
Yeah, I noticed that after I registered and started entering my collection. Gonna take a long-ass time to do this (I have 14 long boxes at the moment), but things like the report where you can see what issues of a title you are missing will come in handy when I go to conventions and want to fill holes.
Old 04-16-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I noticed that after I registered and started entering my collection. Gonna take a long-ass time to do this (I have 14 long boxes at the moment), but things like the report where you can see what issues of a title you are missing will come in handy when I go to conventions and want to fill holes.
Don't forget, you can enter runs of a title. I'm still fearing the process, though.
Old 04-16-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank the gods for being able to enter runs. Made 52 a hell of a lot easier.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to add new info to their database. I can add the basic issue information, but the artist I'm entering isn't in their dropdown menu and I can't see how to request that his name be added.
Old 04-16-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I sign up at comicbookdb.com, and now I get this message when I try to access the site:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User comicboo_admin has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/comicboo/include/config.php on line 22
Could not connect

Is this a common problem for the site?
Old 04-16-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting that, too. I guess all the comic geeks are online tonight. I was about to put someof my collection in it.
Old 04-16-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the site's back up for now...
Old 04-17-07, 05:49 PM
Cool New Member

Thank the gods for being able to enter runs. Made 52 a hell of a lot easier.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to add new info to their database. I can add the basic issue information, but the artist I'm entering isn't in their dropdown menu and I can't see how to request that his name be added.
You can actually add the information yourself. At the top of the page, there is an option for add new content. There you can add titles, creators, characters, storylines and so forth.
Old 04-18-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can actually add the information yourself. At the top of the page, there is an option for add new content. There you can add titles, creators, characters, storylines and so forth.
Ah, ok, thanks! I'm used to the way DVDSpot's system works, where when you're adding a new DVD and you have a cast / crew member that isn't present in their database, you just type the name in and the name gets added when the ticket is approved.
Old 04-18-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the site's back up for now...

Site is back down again.
Old 04-18-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrPink
Site is back down again.
God dammit! I just got home from work and was going to sit down and get another longbox out of the way.

I think I'm going to look for another database... I want a site that will always be available, not one that goes down every other day.
Old 04-18-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Working fine for me right now. They must get hit really hard and past their load capacity at night.
Old 04-18-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
Working fine for me right now. They must get hit really hard and past their load capacity at night.
Yeah, I tried again about 15 minutes after that post and it's up again. I'll probably make a post in their forums asking about these outages and how frequent they are.
Old 04-20-07, 01:35 AM
Cool New Member

Sorry guys, I usually have no problems w/ the site. I feel bad as I had recommended them. I've checked their forums and there is no mention of any issue. However, there was a server upgrade at the beginning of the month, but I am not sure if that is the problem.
Old 04-20-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry guys, I usually have no problems w/ the site. I feel bad as I had recommended them. I've checked their forums and there is no mention of any issue. However, there was a server upgrade at the beginning of the month, but I am not sure if that is the problem.
It is. I checked the forum yesterday and someone was asking about it.

http://comicbookdb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=395

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.