Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Oooh, I'm Buying That: January 2007 Previews

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oooh, I'm Buying That: January 2007 Previews

It's snowing and I'm ditching work, so I'm going through this month's PREVIEWS. One thing I've noticed is that I have to cut back. My shelves are overflowing with trades and graphic novels. I can't fit much more. But anyway, here's what looks good to me...

Conan: Hall of the Dead and Other Stories (page 32)
I'm getting the hardcover to go with my other three hardcovers. I'm loving this series, but this will be my first taste with other writers. If all goes well, it won't be my last.

Catwoman 65 (page 65)
I'm buying this series for the Hughes covers, but I'm still enjoying the stories too. I thought this book would fall off once Brubaker left awhile back, but that hasn't been the case (even with that Film Freak character).

The Spirit 4 (page 88)
I'm not getting this, but I wish I were. Maybe I'll order it if I can find the first two issues somewhere. Cooke's art makes me salivate.

Wonder Woman 5 and 6 (pages 90 and 91)
I want to like this series, but with the issues shipping so rarely, it's hard to get excited. Will Picoult do good work? Who knows. I might have to just wait for reviews.

Cross Bronx TP (page 147)
Love the art, and loved the first few pages of the preview. Seventeen bucks for a 4-issue series is a bit steep, but I think I can manage.

The Walking Dead Book Two (page 149)
More hardcover goodness.

Savage Tales 1 (page 249)
I love the idea of this, but I'm not sure DE can make it as good as the old stories I used to love. We'll see. If nothing else, that Suydam cover looks fantastic.

Savage Red Sonja: Queen of the Frozen Wastes HC (page 249)
Not sure if Cho is worth $20.00 when he's not drawing too. This will be a game time decision.

Wasteland Volume 1: Cities in Dust (page 306)
I've been waiting for this one. And with Sessa's recommendation, this is a must buy.

Love as a Foreign Language Omnibus Volume 2 (page 306)
I already have the issues, but if anyone out there likes romantic comedies, this one's pretty fun. It's light reading and won't change the world, but it's good entertainment. Maybe something you can get your girl into comics with if you're into that kinda thing.

Dark Goodbye (page 318)
Eh, maybe. I'm not sold on manga, but I might try it out.

Battle Club Volume 4 (page 326)
The perverted teenager in me enjoys the humor of "exploding clothes"...I mean, what a silly story element, but it's hilarious in a "what the hell is going on" kinda way, and it's fun to look at.

Stephen King's Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born 2 (Marvel page 6)
Eh, not sure about this one. I ordered the first issue, but I'm not sure how this story will translate into comic format.

Mighty Avengers 1 (Marvel page 39)
Frank Cho. 'Nuff said.

Half Dead (Marvel page 76)
Have to read some reviews or see some art to buy this, but the cover adn the solicit looks good.

Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel page 90)
Not sure about this one either. I've never read it, but these Premiere HCs are only $10 at DCBS, so they're hard to resist.

So much for cutting back. I'll have to rethink all of these if I'm going to save money and shelf space.
Old 12-29-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My shelves are overflowing with trades and graphic novels.
Boy I know what you mean. Maybe we could set up some sort of tpb/gn exchange thread?
Old 12-29-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
That is some sweet art
Old 12-29-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
The Spirit 4 (page 88)
I'm not getting this, but I wish I were. Maybe I'll order it if I can find the first two issues somewhere. Cooke's art makes me salivate.
How can any true fan with tastes such as yours, resist (& not want to support) the unbelievable awesomness that is Cooke's work. Shame on you. And any comic book store should have the first issue, they can still be ordered through Diamond.
Old 12-29-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
How can any true fan with tastes such as yours, resist (& not want to support) the unbelievable awesomness that is Cooke's work. Shame on you. And any comic book store should have the first issue, they can still be ordered through Diamond.
Yeah, I just saw that. I thought they were on two already. Next time I'm in the shop, I'll pick this one up. Have you read it yet? Anyone else?
Old 12-29-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Boy I know what you mean. Maybe we could set up some sort of tpb/gn exchange thread?
that would be good. i have lots that i have read but deemed not worthy enough to keep.
Old 12-30-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Haven't gotten the new previews yet, but I like this thread.
Old 12-30-06, 06:19 AM
Banned

Two Ultimate Spiderman Hardcover books being released in March...UGH! I own all the Ultimate Spiderman Hardcovers so I have to keep going. Marvel seems to be publishing hardcovers right after the comics finish, why do we bother buying monthly books?
Old 12-30-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
...why do we bother buying monthly books?
Old 12-30-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The big want for me was the Kermit the Frog puppet. I was prepared to pay about $125 for it, but when I called the LCS they said it would be $190. That's just a little too rich for me.
Old 12-31-06, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Two Ultimate Spiderman Hardcover books being released in March...UGH! I own all the Ultimate Spiderman Hardcovers so I have to keep going. Marvel seems to be publishing hardcovers right after the comics finish, why do we bother buying monthly books?

I no longer buy the monthlies unless it's just unbearable for me not to look it over (I bought the limited USM #100 after seeing the homage cover, for example). But I buy all the HCs of the Ultimate lines religiously. And I, for one, am glad they don't make me wait a year (give or take) for the new collection to come out.
Old 12-31-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of Adam Hughes covers... don't you think that someone at DC would have had the idea to put a collection of Hughes' covers for the past X amount of years? I actually bought many issues of Wonder Woman over the years just because of the gorgeous covers. Same thing for JSA Classified. I had to have that Power Girl cover.
Old 01-02-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
The big want for me was the Kermit the Frog puppet. I was prepared to pay about $125 for it, but when I called the LCS they said it would be $190. That's just a little too rich for me.
If it's the Master Replicas version, you can find that for $165-$170 on eBay and it's available now.
Old 01-02-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichardW
If it's the Master Replicas version, you can find that for $165-$170 on eBay and it's available now.
Yeah, I checked there also. That's still a little too rich for my blood, though. I was stretching things to rationalize the $125 I was willing to pay.
Old 01-03-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
Speaking of Adam Hughes covers... don't you think that someone at DC would have had the idea to put a collection of Hughes' covers for the past X amount of years? I actually bought many issues of Wonder Woman over the years just because of the gorgeous covers. Same thing for JSA Classified. I had to have that Power Girl cover.
I remember reading on his message board that Hughes himself is wondering why that hasn't happened. If I remember correctly, it's got something to do with the cost of acquiring rights, but that doesn't make sense if it's a DC only cover art book. If he does ever do one, I hope it has his comments and behind the scenes info. The Frank Cho cover book was disappointing to say the least because it was just the covers and line art, nothing more.
Old 01-03-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember reading on his message board that Hughes himself is wondering why that hasn't happened. If I remember correctly, it's got something to do with the cost of acquiring rights, but that doesn't make sense if it's a DC only cover art book. If he does ever do one, I hope it has his comments and behind the scenes info. The Frank Cho cover book was disappointing to say the least because it was just the covers and line art, nothing more.
Seriously, the guy has had to have produced more than 100 covers for DC over the years. These include Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and others. Surely you could justify the expense in putting this together in a nice hardcover. DC has to own the rights to these covers already. Glad I'm not the only one wondering about this.
Old 01-04-07, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A Tek Jansen comic!

I know Kirby's Fourth World gets a lot of talk, but the complete collection advertised in this month's Previews is only about 12 issues at a $50 MSRP. Worth it?
Old 01-04-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
Seriously, the guy has had to have produced more than 100 covers for DC over the years. These include Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and others. Surely you could justify the expense in putting this together in a nice hardcover. DC has to own the rights to these covers already. Glad I'm not the only one wondering about this.
A few years back, I even had the notion that I could edit a book about his work. I envisioned an extensive interview that went over every period in his comic career, studying the man, the methods, and the art. Of course, then I realized the logistic nightmare that'd be trying to get rights to all of those covers and pages.

Of course, that doesn't mean this shouldn't be done. I mean, a book of just his Wonder Woman covers would be cool.
Old 01-04-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Sounded like a good idea to me. So I made one:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488576
Old 01-04-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heck yeah. At least 5 of the books I want this month are on special at DCBS this month. Giddiup!
Old 01-05-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love as a Foreign Language Omnibus Volume 2 (page 306)
I already have the issues, but if anyone out there likes romantic comedies, this one's pretty fun. It's light reading and won't change the world, but it's good entertainment. Maybe something you can get your girl into comics with if you're into that kinda thing.
I'm with you on this one. I picked up the first volume after hearing you talk about it and love it.
Old 01-05-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
I'm with you on this one. I picked up the first volume after hearing you talk about it and love it.
Glad you liked it. I think vol. 6 must be the end because I haven't even sniffed word of anything else coming our way. I don't even understand how they can put out the second omnibus without vol. 6 being shipped yet. Hmmmmm....
Old 01-06-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thankfully after last months' dd omnibus, absolute long halloween, and madman gargantua, this month looks to be fairly light.
Old 01-08-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts
A few years back, I even had the notion that I could edit a book about his work. I envisioned an extensive interview that went over every period in his comic career, studying the man, the methods, and the art. Of course, then I realized the logistic nightmare that'd be trying to get rights to all of those covers and pages.

Of course, that doesn't mean this shouldn't be done. I mean, a book of just his Wonder Woman covers would be cool.
We need TwoMorrows to do a Modern Masters volume on him. Just picked up the Wieringo volume that came out last month, and can't wait to go through it...
Old 01-08-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasteland Volume 1: Cities in Dust (page 306)
I've been waiting for this one. And with Sessa's recommendation, this is a must buy.
The great DCBS price doesn't hurt either.