Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Archie comics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Archie comics.

I was a huge fan when I was a kid.

I'm 35 now. I think I was about 12 when I stopped buying them.

Old 08-11-06, 12:14 PM
Banned

Here are some stories from the comic books that you can read online:

http://www.archiecomics.com/comic_sh...cs_stacks.html
Old 08-11-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Archie Comics is how I learned English when I was 12 I used to run to my sister (18 years older, knew English)... why is this funny? And why is this funny?
Old 08-11-06, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was very tedious to get through. Is is supposed to be? Is that a threadcrap for me to say that? I can't tell if you think that is funny or not. I did not know if this was another "Why are they still drawing these?" type threads, like we have sometimes with Family Circus and Dennis the Menace. On topic, why are they still drawing these?

Apologies to you if this was not one of those threads.
Old 08-11-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I thought the punchline was kinda funny.
*shrug*
though it did move rather slowly and has just a few logical inconsistencies or misphrasings.
I never seriously read Archie comics, but if I'm standing in the checkout line waiting, I'll flip through the digest ones.
Old 08-11-06, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Archie Comics is how I learned English when I was 12 I used to run to my sister (18 years older, knew English)... why is this funny? And why is this funny?
I think it's really cool!
Old 08-11-06, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duse
That was very tedious to get through. Is is supposed to be? Is that a threadcrap for me to say that? I can't tell if you think that is funny or not. I did not know if this was another "Why are they still drawing these?" type threads, like we have sometimes with Family Circus and Dennis the Menace. On topic, why are they still drawing these?

Apologies to you if this was not one of those threads.
That's OK. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I guess I was just feeling a little nostalgic.
Old 08-11-06, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I thought the punchline was kinda funny.
*shrug*
though it did move rather slowly and has just a few logical inconsistencies or misphrasings.
I never seriously read Archie comics, but if I'm standing in the checkout line waiting, I'll flip through the digest ones.

The digest ones consist mostly of revisouly published cartoons, so the stories may be better.
Old 08-11-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by grundle
That's OK. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I guess I was just feeling a little nostalgic.
I used to read them all the time, and enjoyed reading the one you posted. Although, it is weird to see it with such a modern setting. I haven't read them for quite a while.
Old 08-12-06, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by andicus
I used to read them all the time, and enjoyed reading the one you posted. Although, it is weird to see it with such a modern setting. I haven't read them for quite a while.

Yes, seeing Archie using the internet did seem a bit weird.
Old 08-12-06, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a big Archie fan as a kid also and it is fun to see what the comic is doing now. Actually, Archie stories are often topical. Looking back on the 1980s digests I used to read, there were lots of reprinted stories that referenced 50s, 60s and 70s trends. I still enjoyed them at the time.
Old 08-12-06, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ms. M
I was a big Archie fan as a kid also and it is fun to see what the comic is doing now. Actually, Archie stories are often topical. Looking back on the 1980s digests I used to read, there were lots of reprinted stories that referenced 50s, 60s and 70s trends. I still enjoyed them at the time.
Yes. I remember that.

amazon.com sells the Archie "Americana" series of books that collect stories from each decade. There are 2 books each from the 40s and 50s, and one book each from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
Old 08-12-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So they are still making Archie Comics?? Where do they sell them? I haven't seen a comic book of Archie in years. I have seen those Digest ones at the grocery stores but thought (correctly I guess) that they were just older ones in new packaging.
Old 08-12-06, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by resinrats
So they are still making Archie Comics?? Where do they sell them? I haven't seen a comic book of Archie in years. I have seen those Digest ones at the grocery stores but thought (correctly I guess) that they were just older ones in new packaging.

Yes, they still make new ones. They're sold in stores that sell comic books.

The digests and double digests are a lot easier to find. They consist mainly of older stories (with maybe 1 or 2 new stories), which is a good thing. Writer Frank Doyle died in 1996. Here's a great article about him which says he was their best writer:

http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2005/11/...ies-comic.html