[Feb] da thread what we talk 'bout dem funny books fer

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

[Feb] da thread what we talk 'bout dem funny books fer

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Nightwing #117

Spoiler:
Bye Dick.
Old 02-09-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ That's what I heard about that issue too. That end must be the change that Devin Grayson was forced to make in her storyline.
Old 02-11-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Spoiler:
Bye Dick.

yeah...
Spoiler:
See you in about 10 years or when the Next DC Crisis hits...whichever comes 1st.
Old 02-11-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Holy shit Grant Morrison on BATMAN!!!!!

In an unexpected announcement at the DC panel (though not coming as a complete surprise), it was just announced Grant Morrison will be the next regular writer of Batman, following James Robinson’s eight-part story arc running through that title and Detective beginning in March.

Though not announced or even confirmed, popular rumor and speculation still holds that one of the DC exclusive Kubert brothers will eventually be announced as his artist.

Morrison said that he’s already plotted 15 issues, and in his first issue alone, he has 15 ninja man-bats as well as Talia, and the story is called “Batman & Son”. Morrison said Batman coming out of 52 OYL will be a more of a “fun guy, more healthy”, more like the “Neal Adams, hairy-chested, love-god” version of Batman.
Old 02-12-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
After his run on X-Men, I find it hard to be excited about Morrison anymore.

though, it's been building up for a while now...
Old 02-12-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love that Morrison always swings for the fences. Don't get me wrong, I love the good consistently rock solid styling of Geoff Johns or Mark Wair, but with Morrison there is always that chance for some mindf*** of a story. I liked his Bats in JLA, so I can't wait for this.
Old 02-12-06, 08:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm pretty pumped about Morrison on Batman. So far I've liked everything that I've read of his (though I'm on the fence about Arkham Asylum).

On another note...I just cracked my Walking Dead omnibus last night and damn is it good. I hadn't read any of it until last night, but now I'm glued to it. Great artwork, and the grayscale presentation really channels flicks like Night of the Living Dead.
Old 02-12-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Morrison doing Batman is good news. He is one of my favorite writers in comics right now. I can't for that and the Wild C.A.T.S stuff he's doing with Jim Lee this year.

Couple of questions...

1. is the All Star Batman and Robin that Miller/Lee are working on....any good?

2. I know I'm behind, but is All Star Superman #2 out? I wasn't able to find it at the con I went to over the weekend.
Old 02-12-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

to answer your questions...

1. nope. it generally seems to be thought of as crappy.

2. ASSupes #2 is out and really good.
Old 02-13-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
1. is the All Star Batman and Robin that Miller/Lee are working on....any good?
NO.
Old 02-13-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Morrison doing Batman is good news. He is one of my favorite writers in comics right now. I can't for that and the Wild C.A.T.S stuff he's doing with Jim Lee this year.
The whole revamp of WildStorm is probably what I'm most excited for in comics this year behind the fallout from Infinite Crisis. I just got into that universe this year by first reading The Authority, then Planetary, Captain Atom: Armageddon, and now I'm set to start Wild C.A.T.S. Such a great universe.
Old 02-13-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotham Central had a pretty disappointing ending. I was expecting a few more pages of resolution and then it just....stopped. I know the story continues with these characters elsewhere in the universe, but a 40 issue series needs to have more of an ending than that!
Old 02-13-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
NO.
yea it seems like every review of the All Star: Batman and Robin I read is nothing but negative. I was talking to the owner at my local comic book shop today when I was picking up some stuff, and he hated the book as well.

on a similiar All-Star note, is anyone else enjoying All Star: Superman? I usually don't like Superman, but this book so far (even though only 2 issues in) has peaked my interest.
Old 02-14-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All-Star Superman is very different from any Superman book I've ever read. I've enjoyed the couple issues I've read so far (maybe that's mainly because I'm comparing them to All-Star Batman), but I'm going to reserve overall judgement until it's a few more issues in.

On another note: several interesting Infinity Crisis-related events in the Rann-Thangarian War special issue that came out in the last week or two. Didn't care for the artist who did the second half of the issue though.
Old 02-14-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chew, I liked the ending of Gotham Central. But, here's something that might interest you from this week's All the Rage....

Heard It On The Streets

One of our ATR Associates also at Wonder Con overheard the following tidbits from Greg Rucka. According to our source, Rucka said that the Streets of Gotham spinoff from Gotham Central MAY happen, but that he’s still waiting for the okay. He also mentioned that Renee Montoya might get her own series…

This Has A “Bullet for Bullock” Factor of Five Out of Ten
Old 02-14-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

on a similiar All-Star note, is anyone else enjoying All Star: Superman? I usually don't like Superman, but this book so far (even though only 2 issues in) has peaked my interest.
It's not what I thought it was going to be exactly, but I'm enjoying a bunch. I know it's All-Star Superman, but I hope Grant brings in a few other DC heroes for cameo's.
Old 02-14-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find the All-Star series to be one of the best this year. It really digs into the heart of DC. That and Batman is just plain perverse (the character, not the comic).

The first issue of Infinite Crisis had me skeptical, but the last 3 issues have been excellent. The plotting is super-tight and there's a lot of good action. Once again proof that when Johns gives something his all he can write like the best of 'em.
Old 02-15-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Morrison and Quitely's "All-Star Superman" is the shit. Amazing book.

I don't read much superhero comics any more, but I'll pick up almost anything Grant Morrison does. His recent "Seven Soldiers" crossover is excellent as well.

The real feat that Morrison pulls off is that he's telling Silver Age stories with modern sensibilities. "All-Star Superman" is basically the Superman from the 1950s and 1960s being thrust in the modern day. It has the quirkiness and sense of wonder of the old comics, but with modern art and no high camp.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-16-06 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 06:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think I might pick up all the issues of All Star Batman just to see what the fuss is all about. Besides, I love Jim Lee's artwork.
Old 02-16-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anybody read anything from Boom Studios? Keith Giffen seems to be all over that publisher and it certainly gets me interested.

Especially this one:

It brings the "bwah-ha-ha" JLA creative team back together.
Old 02-16-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll chime in on some of the titles being discussed, and some of the ones not being discussed...

All-Star Batman & Robin: As I've said in previous threads, I just don't understand what the hell is wrong with Miller. The only plausible explanation is that he is tired of people asking him to write more Batman stuff, and since the complete shitfest that was Dark Knight Returns didn't stop them, he's doubled his efforts to write the worst material in his career with ASB&R. His Batman vs. the terrorists book has picked up national media attention in the last week, so we apparently have one more shit sandwich coming. I'm going to read it at the local comic shop and then decide if I want to buy it or not.

All-Star Superman: Morrison is very hit or miss with me. So far this series is a miss, as Superman seems like a dope. It didn't help that the first image of this series' Superman was him looking completely stoned on the cover of issue 1. I'm giving it 2 more issues before I make the decision whether to drop it or not.

Ghost Rider: Thank god it's over. I never thought I'd see the day when I looked forward to a Garth Ennis series ending, but this was just an embarassment. Garth, please join Neil Gaiman on my list of people that I NEVER want to see writing super-powered characters again.

Sensational Spider-Man: No longer Marvel Knights Spider-Man, but keeping the same numbering. Reginald Hudlin is gone, now can we get rid of Angel Medina? It's been a while since I've seen his art.... when did he go to drawing everyone like they're from the LenoVerse? What's the LenoVerse, you ask? It's where every person, when viewed close-up, has a huge fucking chin.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 02-17-06 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-16-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chew
Has anybody read anything from Boom Studios? Keith Giffen seems to be all over that publisher and it certainly gets me interested.

Especially this one:

It brings the "bwah-ha-ha" JLA creative team back together.
If it does then I'm there. The "Funny JLA and JL Europe" are some of my favorites.
Old 02-16-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If it does then I'm there. The "Funny JLA and JL Europe" are some of my favorites.
In fact, that issue should've come out yesterday.
Old 02-16-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Ghost Rider: Thank god it's over.
From what I could actually follow, I enjoyed the fairly different art style. But, I agree: the plot and dialogue sucked.
Old 02-17-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dammit. DCU's Crisis is pissing me off. Since they've got me to buy books that I normally would pass up so I can get all the "Crossover" I can, I'm starting to fall in love with Characters that are either getting killed, quitting, or just going away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.