Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

January 2006 Comics Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts
January 2006 Comics Discussion Thread

Since benedict locked half the threads in the forum yesterday, I guess we need to get started on some new ones.

i just downloaded acquired the Miracleman series last week and started reading the first couple issues. Good stuff so far. Alan Moore really likes the whole retired/forgotten superhero returns to harsh/cruel world thing, doesn't he?
Old 01-01-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup. that he does. It's a shame that MiracleMan has been in legal issues for a whole long time now.

ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN is got to be one of the best comics out there. No, not because it's a serious read or anything. I just love how extreme it is. It's like Frank is mocking Jim Lee with his story. Look how Black Canary is at the bar and the dialogue is so insanely out there that it's just beyond funny. From the "Shut up!" to "What are you retarded or something? I'm the goddamn batman!".. It's so insane I just can't stop laughing at it.

Also, is it just me or is IC really not full on. You seldomly get any real tie ins that matter and at this point I want OYE to happen already.
Old 01-01-06, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I wish they'd get the rights to Miracleman sorted out. Last I heard, Gaiman was going to use the proceeds of his suit against McFarlane to sort out the Miracleman rights and put it back in print. That was a few years ago, though, and still no Miracleman.
Old 01-01-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all of this ASBAR bashing (i only read the first issue) has me wondering, if jim lee knew what a clusterf*&^ this was gonna be before he signed on, or if he even cares.
Old 01-02-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It may read terribly and be a laugh.. but it's still a very hot title and flys off the shelf.
Old 01-02-06, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts
I found that Wikipedia has a really long article about the whole Miracleman legal saga:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracleman

Did anyone buy the All-Star Batman and Robin #1 Director's Cut that came out a couple weeks ago? I couldn't bring myself to buy it again. What was different about it? Does anyone know why this series is shipping so late?

I thought the All-Star line was supposed to be these classic characters stripped down to their core, presenting them in a way that shows off their timeless qualities and appeal. Am I wrong? Am I thinking of Alex Ross' Justice series? Cause what I've seen of ASBAR so far doesn't seem like timeless Batman. I flipped through All-Star Superman in the store too, and even that seemed . . . off.
Old 01-02-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Dammit! Did anyone read the latest issue of Birds of Prey? Barbara...
Spoiler:
tells her Father what she does(Oracle) and that she used to be BatGirl...and he says he already knew! WTF!? I've been waiting for that conversation for some time now and I thought i was going to get it when Babs went under the knife to get the tech shit out of her system. How did he know? That conversation was cool but it was also a huge letdown.
Old 01-02-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, but it's kinda like lois lane and superman. how good would either of them be at their jobs if they didn't know the truth already?
Old 01-02-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey Giantrobo, did you read Batgirl year One? I just recently read it, thought it was great and really loved the style of the art especially the colors. Anyway in it Gordon seems to know what Barbara is up to doing in her spare time but never directly pushes the issue.
Old 01-02-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Hey Giantrobo, did you read Batgirl year One? I just recently read it, thought it was great and really loved the style of the art especially the colors. Anyway in it Gordon seems to know what Barbara is up to doing in her spare time but never directly pushes the issue.
No, I haven't read Year One. But yeah that's the jist(sp?) of his reaction and comment. He knew but left it up to her to reveal it to him. They both chalked it up to "the Gordon need to help" or something like that.

Speaking of Batgirl, I know Babs Batgirl is a fan favorite and will be forever cool but the current Batgirl is a little kickass dynamo too.
Old 01-02-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kevin75
yeah, but it's kinda like lois lane and superman. how good would either of them be at their jobs if they didn't know the truth already?

Well, considering that marriage thing they got between them I think your'e right.
Old 01-02-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, Jim has known for the longest time now. So it wasn't so much of a reveal as him just turning the blind eye and not getting involved.

From all the rumors of OYL... I wouldn't be surprised if she was back in the Batgirlwoman outfit. Especially since she was left off the cover of OYL Birds of prey.

As for the DC of All Star. The whole comic was just in pencils and it had the script in the back. I picked it up because I dig Lee's pencil work and man oh man, I can't stop laughing at the script.
Old 01-02-06, 03:29 PM

Just curious... Has anyone ordered from DCBS? I have been thinking about placing an order with them, and was hoping for some feedback.
Old 01-02-06, 06:42 PM

Oh boy . . . yeah a lot of us do order from there. At least 4, I believe. We have had nothing but success and the couple of times a book wasnt bagged or not included they have made it right. Prices are great and even better this month with 40% off (with selected 50 and 75% off titles). The Newsarama board seems to think that is a permanent change. Books were 35% off previously.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

I think Chew usually gets his shipments on the Friday after Wednesday release. I'm usually Monday, which sucks because of Holidays like today. It really depends on what part of the country you live in. They use ground DHL.
Old 01-02-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DCBS is the shiznit. really they are great. i had a galactus statue that arrived broken once and they were super quick to give me a return and credit.
Old 01-02-06, 08:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I just placed my first order with DCBS for the Alias omnibus, but I don't think that ships until March.
Old 01-03-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Chew usually gets his shipments on the Friday after Wednesday release.
Actually, it's one day better: Thursdays
Old 01-03-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It may read terribly and be a laugh.. but it's still a very hot title and flys off the shelf.
Yes, and the New Kids on the Block sold millions of records. You're using an appeal to popularity fallacy.

Just because you enjoy Frank Miller basically ass-raping everything he's done previously for the Batman character while slapping the fans upside the face, that doesn't mean it's a great book. It means you enjoy watching a great character being trashed.
Old 01-03-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished reading Azzarello's Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

Basically the book is a big wank from Luthor about how everything he does to get rid of Superman is because he's really concerned for the well-being of the planet, that Superman could turn into a threat one day and try to take over. Luthor believes that he's saving mankind by trying to get rid of Superman.

Personally, I think that it's a bunch of bullshit. I saw them taking this route a few years ago, and assumed that it would be a thing of "yeah, he says that, but we all know that he just wants Superman out of the way because it'll make his schemes easier to pull off."

Now, though, it seems as if they're actually trying to push this as a legitimate motivation for him.

And the Batman scene? That alone made me believe that Azzarello, much like other popular non-superhero writers, needs to stick with the non-superhero crowd.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-06, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
Actually, it's one day better: Thursdays
Oh you just love to rub that in! I get mine today at some point.
Old 01-03-06, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
And the Batman scene? That alone made me believe that Azzarello, much like other popular non-superhero writers, needs to stick with the non-superhero crowd.

Thoughts?
That Batman/Bruce/Kryptonite scene troubled me too. It had a loose end that was never really addressed or resolved. I didn't mind the changes to Luthor's motivation so much. I thought it gave him new dimension. Of course all of it can change on a dime anyway. It seems like scientist Luthor is sorta coming around again.

Azzarello's 12 issues of Superman with Jim Lee I found nearly unreadable. I have the two HCs and will probably get rid of them.
Old 01-03-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh you just love to rub that in! I get mine today at some point.
Not me. They'll deliver today, I won't be there, they'll leave a note, I'll sign it, and I'll get the books tomorrow. Lame!

I made my order for March and realized it's close to $150. That's way too much. Now, I'm considering dropping all but 10 (or maybe 5) titles. Hell, maybe I'll go cold turkey. I can't buy old back issues if I spend $150 on new ones each month.
Old 01-03-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's interesting that you have to sign something for it. UPS and DHL never require signatures from me, they just leave the package.

Due to my internet access problems at home, I still haven't ordered yet. I spent the weekend planning out my order in Previews though.

Getting back to Superman/Batman #23, the fact that this entire storyline hasn't made a lick of sense was completely cleared up in the last page. Now it makes sense why it makes no sense.
Old 01-03-06, 10:44 AM

Whoa - $150! I cut back from about $120. My order this month was $78 with once a month shipping and about 41-42 books. I stopped doing bags and boards. Just takes up too much space. I'll just bag them when they come in.

I dropped a lot of Marvel, but I have a feeling Civil War will suck me back in this summer.
Old 01-03-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, my $150 includes 5 trades: Gotham Central, 100 Bullets, Red Sonja, Ultimate Invincible, and Ex Machina. Drop those and I have a much smaller bill. Hell, maybe I should drop the monthlies instead.

Anyone here still buy back issues? And I mean back issues, not older moderns.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.