Reload this Page >

January 2006 Comics Discussion Thread

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

January 2006 Comics Discussion Thread

Old 01-07-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I think it can work. I would love to see an entire series strictly based on the original conflict. We can still have a few of the main characters showing up and it's a good way to fill in the backstory.
Here's the original conflict.

Old 01-07-06, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Braddok
I know that Infinate Crises is hot right now. Could someone please suggest the proper order of reading the whole story line, including the pre-crisis stuff? Thanks in advance
Check what I posted here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=451293
Old 01-07-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Have you read that Titans/Young Justice miniseries that kickstarted Outsiders and Teen Titans? The one where Donna gets killed? That was terrible.
You know I did sort of read that, but just because I was gearing up to read the Teen Titans which everyone said was great. I honestly don't remember it though, so it certainly wasn't memorable to me. That can't be a good sign.
Old 01-08-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pic Todd B. That brings back some memories. I had that issue and sporadically got others. I also read some of the Liefield one's from the mid-90s, but lost interest after a bit. Those were pretty hyped up and you can't deny that they and Richard Hatch's novels helped get Galactica back on the radar screens.

EDIT: looks like there was a new BG comic scheduled to debut last fall.

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...?postid=841809

Last edited by MBoyd; 01-08-06 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-08-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exharrison
Does anyone know what is happening with the Alan Moore DC collection that is supposed to come out this month? Amazon said it was supposed to be released today, but they have it listed as 4-6 week shipment now and I can't find it anywhere else. The DC page says Jan 11th.
What is in this collection? Is it just the previously released "Across The Universe: The DC Stories of Alan Moore" reissued with "The Killing Joke" and Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?" included this time around?

Also, whatever happened to Darwyn Cooke taking over "The Flash"?
Old 01-08-06, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gamblor187
What is in this collection? Is it just the previously released "Across The Universe: The DC Stories of Alan Moore" reissued with "The Killing Joke" and Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?" included this time around?

Also, whatever happened to Darwyn Cooke taking over "The Flash"?
Yes that's what the Alan Moore collection is. As far as Cooke on the Flash, I haven't heard anything about it. Maybe for one year later? Flash has one more issue left on the current run.
Old 01-08-06, 02:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yes that's what the Alan Moore collection is.
According to Midtown Comics, it's coming out this week.
Old 01-08-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got the Absolute Hush HC...and can I just say it's the sexiest thing since Scarlett Johansson in a bathtub sucking on a cherry popsicle (lots of tongue folks). OK, not really, but still this thing is awesome. It's not my favorite story ever, but it's a good way to get a flash of the majority of what the Batverse is (since most of the characters are represented) and the art looks great in this form, so it's all good.

Are all the Absolute oversized in a similar fashion? And is there some master list of what Absolutes are out there? I really love the presentation and want to get more. I will definately buy The Authority ones (assuming I can find Vol.1 for less than a million bucks) and the Absolute JLA/Avengers book. I know there is a Crisis and Watchmen Absolute too, but not sure what else.

Now more than ever I need an Absolute New Frontier. That book I think I would try to marry in Vegas.
Old 01-08-06, 05:17 PM

The Crisis and Watchmen Absolute's aren't printed on the glossy paper. I think I heard that if it was published originally on the non-glossy paper, that would be the norm with the Absolute release. I definitely want a New Frontier Absolute as well. And Dark Knight. And Kingdom Come. And a big no to the rumored Azzarello/Lee For Tomorrow.

I started reading The Walking Dead HC today which is more or less an Image Absolute. Big thumbs up there. I'm about a 3rd of the way into it.
Old 01-09-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,487 Posts
Finally got my comics for last month (December). It'll take me a while to go through the trades, but I went through the monthlies pretty quickly:

No Legion last month? Or Supergirl?
JSA: the whole Jakeem Thunder saga ends with what seems like a cop-out, though I never really understood what was going on anyway. I'll have to read it back-to-back, I guess.
Teen Titans: Maybe I misjudged last week's book... I actually kinda liked the whole Captain Carrot thing, and even the Kid Devil cameo which will set up for something down the line. But man I can't stand Tony Daniel's art, and that is really bringing this book down. So maybe the writing is decent, and I just can't accept the art. And Daniel's gonna be the regular artist on this book?

I've been collecting the issues of Justice and All Star Batman and Robin, but I have yet to read a single one. Probably should've just waited on the trade for both.
Old 01-09-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Teen Titans: Maybe I misjudged last week's book... I actually kinda liked the whole Captain Carrot thing, and even the Kid Devil cameo which will set up for something down the line. But man I can't stand Tony Daniel's art, and that is really bringing this book down. So maybe the writing is decent, and I just can't accept the art. And Daniel's gonna be the regular artist on this book?
At least it's better than Liefield's was.
Old 01-10-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Given the ending to the Captain Carrot storyline, I have to wonder if a new series is in the future?
Old 01-10-06, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
No Legion last month? Or Supergirl?
I don't read Supergirl, but this was the last issue of Legion that came out:
Old 01-10-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,487 Posts
Yeah, I got LOS 12 and Supergirl 3 in November's shipment, and nothing in December's... just wondering if they're late. It was amusing to me to read December's issue of Superman/Batman, and in the back they're advertising OMAC #6.

Better than Liefeld, sure, but that's not saying much. Maybe Daniels is just doing a rush job, and he'll settle in. I certainly hope so. Is it just me?
Old 01-10-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Given the ending to the Captain Carrot storyline, I have to wonder if a new series is in the future?
Old 01-10-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Like I was looking through my box of of old Marvel Two-In-One last night and thinking "Why do I keep these?". It's a good enough read, but thats just it...I NEVER READ THEM.
I picked up the Essential Two-in-One and had a good time. Agreed it's not Great Stuff, but it brings back good memories. I used to subscribe to both Two-in-One and Team-Up and they introduced me to a lot of different characters. I'll have to pick up Essential Team-Up next.

Like someone else posted recently, I've jumped into the Essentials. I was an Iron Fist fan way back when, but now reading the Essential, I realized I must have just stopped reading about three years into the series. The new stories should be discoveries to me, but I find I have less patience with them. Maybe the black-and-white format is better when I've already read them and can mentally fill in the colors.

Rarely buy single issues other than Infinite Crisis and the occasional Marvel Giant-Size, which seem like pretty good value at $4.99 even if it's almost all recycled. Also got that three-issue Spider-Man/Black Cat compilation.
Old 01-12-06, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Hey, what's this Ulitmate Avengers:The Movie? I saw it in Wizard mag.
Old 01-12-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I haven't seen the mag, but I think you're talking about the straight to DVD animated film. It's the Avengers, but with the Ultimates slant. I heard the story is great, but that art isn't as cool as it could be. But I haven't seen it.
Old 01-12-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think we've done this in awhile, and if we have forget I asked this, but what are everyone's current top five books? Or if you can't do five, what about top ten?

Here's mine:

Birds of Prey
Y: The Last Man
DMZ (although I might switch to all trade on this one)
Catwoman
Captain America (I think the new Daredevil will squeeze into this spot soon)
Old 01-12-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think my top 5 list changes fairly often:

Gotham Central
Captain America
Y: Last Man
JSA
Marvel Team-Up
Old 01-12-06, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'll warn everyone right now, I saw a preview and Captain America's voice was terrible. He sounded 16 years old. I'll probably Netflix this one.
Old 01-12-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think my top 5 list changes fairly often:

Gotham Central
Captain America
Y: Last Man
JSA
Marvel Team-Up
Great taste, Chew. I actually left GC off my list just because it's being cancelled. What do you think will take its spot when it's gone?
Old 01-12-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know

I'm only up to around issue 11 on the first volume of Fallen Angel, but I think that just might if the second volume continues to impress.
Old 01-12-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up selling my entire FA collection. I thought it was a good story, just not a great one. I did pick up the new first issue to see if that sparks my interest again.
Old 01-12-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Current top 5:

Captain Atom: Armageddon (favorite thing going right now)
Teen Titans
Marvel Team-Up
Batman
Ultimate Fantastic Four

These are books that always hover near the top of the pile, but things I don't always feel like reading or prefer to read in bunches.

Y The Last Man
Strangers in Paradise
Captain America
Runaways
The Ultimates
GI Joe: America's Elite
The Walking Dead
Birds of Prey

I want to read DMZ (heard the story is good) but the art isn't my cup of tea. I think it will be one of those books who's art I appreciate after I get into the story, so I'll probably pick up the trade down the line.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.