Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

December's Let's Talk Comics and Nothing Else Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December's Let's Talk Comics and Nothing Else Thread

Yeee haw. Another month of comics has come and gone, so it's time to make a switch to a new thread. But be careful, don't talk about anything else or we'll get locked.

Anyone pick up the new Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths? I surely wanted it, but man, $100 is a little hefty. Thing that sucks is that there's a good chance this sucker sells out like Watchmen did. If so, there's no time like the present to make a purchase.

I didn't spot the new Red Sonja trade, so I was unable to pick it up. Anyone nab it?
Old 11-30-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COIE was $55 on DCBS back in July. Look for it on Amazon if you want it now. I think Watchmen will get a new printing. On another message board they are saying all the absolutes so far have been kept in print.
Old 11-30-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
COIE was $55 on DCBS back in July. Look for it on Amazon if you want it now. I think Watchmen will get a new printing. On another message board they are saying all the absolutes so far have been kept in print.
Hmmm, my sources say otherwise. I'll have to look into this further.
Old 11-30-05, 05:32 PM

I've been reading this board. It's for both the DC and Marvel books. These guys are really into the collected editions. I think there is a thread on Watchmen in the DC section. If anyone wants to keep up with collected comics in hard and softcover form this site is a must read.

http://p206.ezboard.com/bmarvelmasterworksfansite
Old 11-30-05, 08:03 PM

I thought Absolute Authority Vol 1 was OOP (or maybe it was reprinted) - it was mighty pricey on eBay for a long time.
Old 11-30-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone pick up Tales Designed To Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman? He did that Snake N Bacon book. There is some funny funny stuff in there. I think its from Fantagraphics.
Old 11-30-05, 09:31 PM

There's a guy on ebay according to that other message board who has 98 copies of Watchmen at a buy it now for $33. Wonder if these are some of that batch that got returned for having too much glue on them.
Old 11-30-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget the $17.82 for shipping and $5.72 for required insurance!!!
Old 11-30-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been reading this board. It's for both the DC and Marvel books. These guys are really into the collected editions. I think there is a thread on Watchmen in the DC section. If anyone wants to keep up with collected comics in hard and softcover form this site is a must read.

http://p206.ezboard.com/bmarvelmasterworksfansite
yeah, as a longtime member over there, it's a treasure trove of knowledge and nice people too!!
Old 12-01-05, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by James W. Powell
But be careful, don't talk about anything else or we'll get locked.
Old 12-01-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolute Crisis is $54.99 at buy.com

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...queryType=book

Budget shipping adds another $2.40.
Old 12-01-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Absolute Crisis is $54.99 at buy.com

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-28092...queryType=book

Budget shipping adds another $2.40.
Oooh, good price. I'll still need to wait...can't afford this gift for me when I have Christmas presents to deliver.

New books are up on DCBS. And I have a question. For the new Warlord, they have the regular book for 75 cents. But they have a second one for $1.49. The first is code DEC050281 and the second DEC050281A. Anyone have any idea what the difference is? I've seen different codes and prices before, but the second never has an image and I have no idea what it is.

Last edited by James W. Powell; 12-01-05 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, since it's nearing the end of the year, I was thinking it'd be cool to devote a chunk of this thread to making a list of the Best Comic Books of 2005.

If you can, jot down a few of your favorite titles in these categories. I'll do some tabulations along the way. If nothing else, it'll give us all more books to try.

Best On-Going Title
Best Mini
Best Collected Trade
Best Original Graphic Novel
Publisher of the Year
Writer of the Year
Artist of the Year

(Those are the ones I can think of...if you have others, well, the more the merrier.)
Old 12-01-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by James W. Powell
New books are up on DCBS. And I have a question. For the new Warlord, they have the regular book for 75 cents. But they have a second one for $1.49. The first is code DEC050281 and the second DEC050281A. Anyone have any idea what the difference is? I've seen different codes and prices before, but the second never has an image and I have no idea what it is.
I've always wondered that myself. Maybe if you order one it's the $.75 price and if you want a second copy, you have to order the $1.49?
Old 12-01-05, 07:34 AM

I think the 1.49 button is used if you want to order more than 2 copies. If you want the two covers you can use the .75 button and get both.
Old 12-01-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even know there were two covers. Maybe I'll shoot them an email.
Old 12-01-05, 09:06 AM

well I could be wrong, but in the past when there has been 2 buttons and 2 prices there have always been 2 covers. That's what I'm basing my assumption on. I'm pretty sure they lose money on the .75 comics and thats why the limit is 2.
Old 12-01-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
What makes the absolute crisis absolute? Is it all the parts of the crisis and supporting stories?
Old 12-01-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by exharrison
What makes the absolute crisis absolute? Is it all the parts of the crisis and supporting stories?
All of the supporting stories would be a pretty huge book! Maybe they should do a companion Showcase collecting them or something?

Now this landmark series gets the star treatment in CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: THE ABSOLUTE EDITION — an oversized slipcased set containing two hardcover books. The 368-page Book One includes the full 12-issue maxiseries (which was painstakingly restored and meticulously recolored in 1998), with an introduction by Marv Wolfman, afterword by Dick Giordano, and creator bios. George Pérez provides all-new art for the dustjacket. (Please note that the Monitor Tapes section from issue #10 will be shot from the original art for this issue and represented in its original form.)

The 96-page Book Two contains a compendium featuring the full behind-the-scenes story on the years-long making of the maxiseries complete with memos, notes, original plots and commentary from Marv Wolfman and Jerry Ordway; the Official Index to Crisis and Official Index to Crisis Crossovers being reprinted for the very first time, completely updated; a look into post-Crisis events and aftermath stories, how the Superboy/Legion conundrum was solved, and a look at the 20th anniversary of this seminal event. George Pérez provides all-new art for the dustjacket.
http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=4203
Old 12-01-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
All of the supporting stories would be a pretty huge book! Maybe they should do a companion Showcase collecting them or something?

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=4203
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how much they devoted to the crisis. I completely missed it as it took place a year after I was born. I've been interested in reading it, but somewhat confused on where to start as it seems there is crisis on infinite earths, crisis on multiple earths(which is what I was referring to as supporting stories), and who knows what else.
Thanks for the info and link. Somehow it didn't occur to me to check out DC's website.
Old 12-01-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
There's a guy on ebay according to that other message board who has 98 copies of Watchmen at a buy it now for $33. Wonder if these are some of that batch that got returned for having too much glue on them.
Didn't see any...
Old 12-01-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Didn't see any...
Not on the auction portion, but on the store portion of the site here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Absolute-Watchme...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-01-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
ah ha....and under "Fiction Books" too...silly me.

Thanks Chew.
Old 12-01-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always wondered that myself. Maybe if you order one it's the $.75 price and if you want a second copy, you have to order the $1.49?
exactly. If you want up to 2, you can get them for .75. Anything more than that will cost you the 1.49 price
Old 12-01-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who have read the original Crisis that is an Absolute book now:

1) Is it "worth" $65+ if the Absolute version doesn't include crossovers?
2) Will someone who only knows a tiny bit about the old DC characters understand the story?
3) Are there other versions of the book that would be considered a better value?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.