Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Comic Book Thread for August!

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Official Comic Book Thread for August!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
All that said, lets all band together and use our collective karma to make a New Frontier HC a reality! DVDTALKERS UNITE!
Amen brotha! I actually skipped the paperbacks in the hopes this is collected as an HC someday. I'm still crossing my fingers (which makes typing really difficult).
Old 08-25-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by James W. Powell
Chew, tell me that the Packers defense will somehow step up this year. Good grief!
The nightly 30 minute Training Camp report keeps trying to convince us the defense now is all about learning the position in a very vanilla way. Once the starters are nailed down and they know how to play in Bates' system (and they actually have a game plan for the specific team they're playing. Which they haven't yet), then you'll start seeing results.

I'm not holding my breath it's going to be any better than last year.
Old 08-25-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
JSA is a wonderful book because it's like the best of both worlds. The Old, and The New. The heroes are really great and, although there's a hell of a lot of Time Travel in earlier adventures,(Annoying at times, Think Start Trek crutch) they still seem to make it all work.
I don't know, it seems like almost every major story arc in JSA deals with time travel. I mean, we just got through a multi-issue arc involving time travel a few months ago.

It's still a great, great read. Good for anyone, but especially rewarding for old-time fans.

Currently, I'm skipping most of the rail thin "collections" Marvel is coming out with these days, waiting for the HC that collects several of them, for a fraction more. And that B&N Ultimate Spiderman collection was the one that really kicked that obsession off (after previously being discouraged off of hardcovers by the expense of collecting the Legion archives)
Old 08-26-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack Cross #1 was pretty interesting. Not a lot going on in the plot department, but still pretty good.
Old 08-29-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like everyone is conserving energy for the upcoming September thread...
Old 08-29-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Jack Cross #1 was pretty interesting. Not a lot going on in the plot department, but still pretty good.
I haven't picked it up yet - I'm starting to feel like Ellis is repeating himself a bit, with the whole "cynical loner vs. the system" theme (Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Desolation Jones). He does it well, but it still is starting to feel a bit recycled. Is this one much different from the rest?
Old 08-29-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,149 Posts
I just read a Planetary TPB featuring 3 crossovers. It was interesting. Who is this Planetary?
Old 08-29-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by James W. Powell
Looks like everyone is conserving energy for the upcoming September thread...
Heh, I was kind of thinking the same thing.
Old 08-29-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts
I just read a Planetary TPB featuring 3 crossovers. It was interesting. Who is this Planetary?
At first they seem to be along the lines of paranormal investigators, though their true intentions come clear later. It's really an excuse for Ellis to spend single issues delving into different genres and comicbook archetypes. There's an homage to early pulp heroes, a ghost story, godzilla, the matrix, how silver-age heroes would be welcomed into today's world, a frightening incarnation of the fantastic four all told in pretty much stand alone single issues stories, with an underlying ongoing story in the background. To me, it's one of the best "superhero" comics coming out today, and my only complaint is there's such a looong wait between issues. When I get my box of comics for the month, it's more like a pleasant surprise when I get Planetary, since I can never keep up with when it's released. And it's also one of the few that I don't wait for the trade, even though I know one will eventually be released.
Old 08-29-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
At first they seem to be along the lines of paranormal investigators, though their true intentions come clear later. It's really an excuse for Ellis to spend single issues delving into different genres and comicbook archetypes. There's an homage to early pulp heroes, a ghost story, godzilla, the matrix, how silver-age heroes would be welcomed into today's world, a frightening incarnation of the fantastic four all told in pretty much stand alone single issues stories, with an underlying ongoing story in the background. To me, it's one of the best "superhero" comics coming out today, and my only complaint is there's such a looong wait between issues. When I get my box of comics for the month, it's more like a pleasant surprise when I get Planetary, since I can never keep up with when it's released. And it's also one of the few that I don't wait for the trade, even though I know one will eventually be released.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

that planetary/batman crossover has some funny shyte in it.
Old 08-29-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are at least 3 TPBs for Planetary (6 issues each), and it's a nice way to blow through the title, and have the inter-twining threads come into focus more if you read it within a few days of one another. IIRC, it's up to issue #23.
Old 08-30-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kevin75
that planetary/batman crossover has some funny shyte in it.

Yeah, that's how the Comic book guy sold it to me. When he said
Spoiler:
Multiverse, Adam West, and Female Villian Bat spray
... I said, Ok, I gotta see this.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-30-05 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I swear right now...

If the ending in Birds Of Prey is not a dream...not a what if...i'm gonna be pretty
Babs?