Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Talk for July

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comic Talk for July

The other thread just closed on us! gah! well, it was good to see a lot of discussion, even if there wasn't a lot of agreement. .

Continuing what I said about Batman though, it's not that I'm surprised that Batman is a little nuts sometimes, even though that characterization really turn me away, it's that everyone seems shocked by it, and then quickly moves on. I agree that in many storylines recently Batman has been his typical distrusting self, but that everyone around him now still trusts him. I would think after the 90 millionth time someone that devious betrays you that you learn to stay away from them. It's really beginning to annoy me how naive some of these heroes are, especially since many of them have been operating for years and have experienced countless tragedies. They're either totally disassociated from their emotions - making them potentially sociopathic - or they have a very poor memory. I thought continuity was invented to keep stuff like this from happening.

I'm still split on Identity Crisis. I can't say it was a bad story, but I didn't enjoy reading it. It was very emotionally manipulative at times, and I felt like there wasn't a satisfactory conclusion. I don't mean that everyone flies off into the sunset smiling, but there wasn't a real sense of closure for me. I know that in the real world not everything wraps up so neatly and so quickly...but it would have been nice for the last issue to be a long epilogue as opposed to primarily focusing on revealing all the secrets behind the story. The story X-ed over into many monthlies but even then, aside from the Teen Titans issue, there wasn't a lot of emotion from the characters. The Flash tie-in was a little too long and melodramatic for my tastes, and Wally having to deal with that kind of emotional burden shouldn't be anything new, although that probably doesn't make it any easier.