Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What comics are you reading? [August]

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What comics are you reading? [August]

Old 08-15-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up Identity Crisis #3.

Man, they are really surprising me on how deep they are getting with this. the battle with slade was amazingly cool. the deaths that happen here are getting bigger and bigger.

Batman: War Zone: It's getting a little interesting. Seeing tim get pulled into it all was pretty cool. I wonder what is going to happen to spoiler and what they will do to thin the heard in the batman "army" that they have going so far.

Street Fighter: another ryu/sakura adventure, I'm happy.
Old 08-15-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the battle with slade was amazingly cool.
Yeah, it makes you wonder how in the HELL the Teen Titans beat him all those times...

War Zone is..."eh"....but, i'll keep reading.

the Avengers [from last week] was just plain ridiculous.
Old 08-16-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking for a review of a new title starting this week: Cosmic Guard from Jim Starlin. I was a huge Dreadstar fan when I was younger and this new title is in the sci-fi realm as well. It doesn't exactly come from a big name publisher though. Can anybody point me to a review or provide one (once it comes out)?

Old 08-17-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I just don't know what to make of Identity Crisis yet. I like it in a lot of ways yet I feel somewhat dirty afterward. The death at the end of #3 felt really exploitive somehow, and a lot of online critics have a point that the worst violence here seems directed solely at
Spoiler:
women characters
. I'm definitely reading the rest of it though before I make a final critique. It's all much more intense and grim than I would've imagined.
Old 08-18-04, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
I'm looking for a review of a new title starting this week: Cosmic Guard from Jim Starlin. I was a huge Dreadstar fan when I was younger and this new title is in the sci-fi realm as well. It doesn't exactly come from a big name publisher though. Can anybody point me to a review or provide one (once it comes out)?
I haven't seen it yet, but come on -- Cosmic Starlin? I am so there.

Which reminds me -- I need to pick up the Dreadstar reprint from Dynamic Forces.
Old 08-19-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Just finished Essential Tomb of Dracula Vol. 2. It was awsome to see Colan & Palmer's art in black & white. Entirely appropriate for the material. Bring on Vol. 3!
Old 08-19-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Gotta say...I haven't been that impressed with Willingham's Robin run so far, but the latest issue [War Games tie-in] was pretty damn good.
Old 08-20-04, 07:59 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by JasonF
I think the next thing I'll do is reread Preacher, unless there are some good TPBs waiting for me at the comic shop -- I haven't been in a few weeks.
I just finished rereading Preacher, and it was as good as I remember. Man, that series really holds up well.

On to Essential Avengers volume 4!
Old 08-20-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cosmic Guard blurb:

A young orphan is chosen by a mysterious light from space to become the latest in a long line of cosmic guardians, super-powered defenders who are charged with protecting the galaxy.

Ray Torres is literally teetering on the edge of suicide -- planning to leap from the roof of the orphanage where he lives -- when a shooting star changes his life forever by choosing him to join a long line of space superheroes called the Cosmic Guard.

Featuring story and art from the legendary Jim Starlin, this brand-new #1 marks the creators return to monthly comics!
Can you say Green Lantern? I'll still be reading, of course.
Old 08-20-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still reading Supreme Power, and just picked up the spinoff of that series, Dr. Spectrum. I swear that Supreme Power just gets better and better.
Old 08-22-04, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
...and a lot of online critics have a point that the worst violence here seems directed solely at
Spoiler:
women characters
Well, the violence has only been directed at two people at this point, if I am not mistaken. And there is at least one violent act coming up that will break that trend(if it can be considered a trend at this point).
Old 08-22-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of Ex Machina, but I'll give Vaughn another 3 issues...
Old 08-22-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Caught up on a few things:

Dead @ 17: Blood of Saints - .....riiiight. Not really worth reading, imo. Issues #1 was decent, and the rest was pretty thin, plot wise, in order to set it up for another mini. Won't be getting any more of this.

Runaways 14-17 - great great great stuff. Couldn't believe who turned out to be the "traitor" and the "reward" they got <evil chuckle>. Looking forward to how it wraps up with #18, but reading the book with one less main character seems wierd.

And I love Supreme Power. I stay caught up on that one. How was Dr Spectrum? After getting burnt on Rising Stars: Bright, I figured I'd pass.
Old 08-22-04, 09:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Anybody know where I can pick up Ultimate Spidey 56-62? My local comic shop doesn't have them, and those are the only issues I'm mising.
Old 08-23-04, 12:01 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Stoney
Anybody know where I can pick up Ultimate Spidey 56-62? My local comic shop doesn't have them, and those are the only issues I'm mising.
Mile High Comics has most of those issues. I've always had good experiences ordering from them.
Old 08-23-04, 12:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Thanks for the heads-up, Jason.
Old 08-23-04, 02:20 AM

Just started reading the Red Star series, plus I found my old copies of Rising Stars.
Old 08-23-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Stoney
Another option is Midtown Comics, which has 56-59 at $1.91 each. Mile High is a bit more expensive on those issues.
Old 08-23-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is anyone else not impressed with the Azzarello/Jim Lee Superman so far?
Old 08-23-04, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Is anyone else not impressed with the Azzarello/Jim Lee Superman so far?
I think I've only read the first two issues, but I wasn't impressed up till that point. I'm a sucker for Lee's artwork tho and I really hope Azzarello has *something* brewing for us.
Old 08-23-04, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Gotta say...I haven't been that impressed with Willingham's Robin run so far, but the latest issue [War Games tie-in] was pretty damn good.
Agreed. Both Willingham's run on Robin and War Games so far was ho-hum, but the latest issue of Robin was both great art and storytelling. That panel with Tim's body blocking out the sun as the reader looks up at him was just...wow.
Old 08-23-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I stopped reading Lee/Azz's Superman after the third issue, it just struck me as pretentious and slow. I have never really gotten into any of Azarello's work I've read, even 100 Bullets, so who knows.
Old 08-24-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad I'm not the only one that fells that about Superman. I'm just really bored!
Old 08-24-04, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On a different subject: I hate to keep asking about it, but.....It's nearly the end of August, I thought the 1300p Bone was to be released this month?
Old 08-24-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The big Bone TPB has been released, but Jeff Smith sent the order to the printers before receiving the actual orders (because he wanted the TPB on hand for San Diego Comicon), and suffice it to say, Jeff underestimated the orders and his initial order wasn't enough to satisfy the initial orders/demand for the TPB. So he's gone back with a second pressing of the TPB, and hopefully those will be available soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.