Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Help recommend and read low selling comics!

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this is what I was thinking we could do, I'd like to get everybody list 2 books that they recommend and then have everybody that participates pick out at least one title that they have never tried before and give it a shot the next time they purchase their comic books. But here is the catch: the recommended books have to be 100 or lower in the sales rankings. The reason I'm doing this is to help boost the sales of some really great books that need help. We don't need recommenations for Ult Spiderman, or Superman/Batman, we need them for books like Ant or Planetary, high quality books with dangerously low sales numbers.

This is last months sales listing:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/4949.html

My 2 choices would be

Abazazad:
CrossGen $2.95

ABADAZAD is the story of Kate, a teenaged girl riddled with guilt over the mysterious disappearance of her younger brother five years ago. Now, given a glimmer of hope, Kate must find a way to travel to the magical land of Abadazad and along with some new friends must undergo dangerous and terrifying trials in order to rescue the person she holds most dear.

This book is georgous, and is increadibly well written and is appropriate for all ages. This is imo one of the best books on the stands, but unfortunetly it is a CrossGen book so it's days are most likely numbered. Hopefully this book will get picked up by mainstream company, because it is too good of a book to die with CrossGen. You should buy this book because it is something special.

The next book that I would recommend is:

Rex Mundi
Image $2.95

"Rex Mundi" is latin for King of the World, and it takes place in a alternate reality in Paris, 1933. Where the Church is still in power, and magic is practiced. The story revolves around the Master Physician Julien Saunière, who is woke in the middle of the night by his friend father Père Gerard Marin, who is incharge of guarding secret documents that only a select few in the church know about. Father Marin informs Julien that one of the documents has been stolen, and asks Julien to find it for him. What follows is an exciting story of murder, intrigue mixed with magic and a discovering an secret of history of the crusades and the Knights Templar.

This is a well thought out book, that has been throughly reaserched, there is a lot of historical fact mixed with the fiction. Another great thing about this series is that it is very interactive. www.rexmundi.net is the offical site, and it is filled with detailed bio, history of the land, also they have a free web comic that revolves around a different character in the same universe. This is one of the coolest comics on the shelves in my opinion.

They are only on issue 9, with 10 comming out soon. I was able to buy all of the issues off the shelf about a week ago so it shouldn't be too hard to get caught up on. If you don't want to hunt for back issues the first trade is out and it covers issues 0-5, 10.47 at amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Hopefully if this works people will post what they thought of the new books that they tried, and if they would recommed them or not.
Old 05-26-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the comics I tell you guys here to check out are low selling books. It's a sad state that most of the truly great comics out there are at the bottom of the sales chart.

Here are my 2 picks.

Fallen Angel - With a very long career behind him, this is the BEST work of Peter David's career. David does what IMO is the hardest things to do in mainstream comics. He creates a very intersting new character. The book also has tremendous art by newcomer David Lopez & a very unique story with a lot of mystery, horror, action it's just really good stuff.

Invincible - The may be the BEST superhero comic on the stands & nobody is reading it. This is the book that Marvel's Ultimate line only attempts at being. A completely creative & innovative series about a young kid growing up as a fledgling hero who's father is a superhero. The comic is absolutely PHENOMENAL, you've never read a title like it, after a few issues you will care about these characters as if you know them. The art may take a while to grow on you, but it really is amazing as well & pefectly fits the book. Written by Robert Kirkman IMO the best writer in comics that most aren't familiar with & this book contains some great plot twists & cliff-hangers . The first 2 trades are out so you have no excuse for not trying it. Everyone I recommend to at my store loves it.

Mrbob - Rex Mundi is an amazing series. The research that goes into the series is awesome. Wish I could share the enthusiasm for Abadazad but I honestly don't think it's that good. The art is nice, but the books is very empty to me. There aren't any characters that I want to read about, the book just reads like a bunch of idead lifted from other fantasy stories.
Old 05-26-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Invincible, but I couldn't get into Fallen Angel, Human Target, Goon, or Ant (all low-selling books that have been recommended here before). Granted, I only read the first issue of each, but they didn't grab my interest.

I'm not sure where Queen & Country or Love Fights fall on the list, but I enjoy both of those.
Old 05-27-04, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can somebody tell me what issues the first two Invincible trades cover? I'd like to start getting into it based on all the recommendations.
Old 05-27-04, 11:54 AM

Invincible Vol 1 covers 1-4 and Vol 2 covers 5-8. Vol 3 was advertised in the latest issue (#12), but I'm not sure if it will be 9-12 or 9-13 (since #13 is the epilogue).
Old 05-27-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cho can really draw females.

Glen, do me a favor, and stop recommending books. Everything you tell me to read ends up on my pull list. Add the few books that I found on my own, and you have a really really really long pull list.
Old 05-27-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My cousin is really high on Invincible, and after he read my Walking Dead trade, he is the #1 Kirkman fanboy. I'm going to wait until his remaining back issues arrive and then I'll read it.

I belive my LCS still has the entire series of Fallen Angel on the shelf, If I can find it, I'll pick up a #1 during my next trip.

Queen and Country is one of the series I'm going focus on finding at the next convention. Right now I only have issue 3 and I haven't read it yet.
Old 05-27-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally managed to put together the entire series of Fallen Angel and plan to read them this weekend. If it's half as good as Glen says, then, well, it'll be damn good.
Old 06-13-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally read Fallen Angel 1 today, and It was all right I'd give it 2 1/2 -3 stars out of four. But the ending was intriguing enough to keep me reading the next issue. So I plan on picking up 2 and probably 3 next time I go to the LCS. I can tell that this is going to one of those comics that needs to be read in arc to fully appreciate it.

Has anybody tried Rex Mundi? I got my cousin hooked on it now and he is really enjoying the series.
Old 06-14-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn, even the highest selling books are very low. When I was growing up reading comics in the 80's and early 90's half a million to a million+ in sales were not uncommon for a single popular book.

Anyway back on topic, that Invicible series does look very interesting and very different. I'm going to pick up the first two volumes.
Old 06-14-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Artesia (Archaia Press) - Written and drawn by Mark Smylie. This series is an epic fantasy that reads like "Lord of the Rings" published by Heavy Metal magazine in the 70s. An interesting mix of medieval warfare, politics, sex, and mysticism.

Official site here: http://www.daradja.com/

Rex Mundi (Image Comics) - I'll also recommend this title. Especially to anyone interested in "The Da Vinci Code." An alternate history thriller featuring a 1930s world controlled by the Catholic Church, rich with conspiracy and mysticism. (Second time I've used that word in the same post...)
Old 06-15-04, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by darkside

Anyway back on topic, that Invicible series does look very interesting and very different. I'm going to pick up the first two volumes.
Remember that the third one is due soon (and 50% off at dcbservice.com, I believe!) - you'll want it after reading vols 1 & 2
Old 06-15-04, 05:17 AM

Out of this list I would Recommend

Lucifer
Strangers In Paradise
PvP
and
Amelia Rules Superheroes
Old 06-15-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey josh are there any trades of Artesia out? It looks like something I would enjoy, but I haven't even an issue of it for sale, so getting the back issues would probably be pretty hard.
Old 06-15-04, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Another recommendation for Rex Mundi. Great stuff -- richly researched, superbly written, lushly illustrated.

Fables is another good book. Some great stuff by Bill Willingham (whose Elementals should be back in print, darnit!)

Age of Bronze is a spectacular retelling of the Trojan War by Eric Shanower. Highly recommended.
Old 06-15-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrBob
hey josh are there any trades of Artesia out? It looks like something I would enjoy, but I haven't even an issue of it for sale, so getting the back issues would probably be pretty hard.
Yes, there are three collections available, Artesia, Artesia Afield, and Artesia Afire, which are the first three story arcs. A fourth story arc, Artesia Besieged will come out later this year in single comics.
Old 06-15-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For anyone interested, here are some samples:

Rex Mundi - the complete first (#0) issue online: http://www.shrunkenheadstudios.com/r...s/rm00_big.pdf

Rex Mundi - Brother Matthew: http://www.shrunkenheadstudios.com/r...fmcomplete.pdf (This is a webcomic original focusing on one of the characters in Rex Mundi)

Artesia "Into the Dark": http://www.daradja.com/gallery/itdgallery.htm (Short story printed in another comic, also included in one of the Artesia TPBs).
Old 06-20-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the rankings for may:

http://www.newsarama.com/pages/May2004Top300.htm

I belive it comes out this wensday, and I would highly recommend the George R.R. Martin's Hedge Knight tpb being released. The art is excellent and the story adaptation is about 95% word for word with the novella. This is a 4 star series, that is well worth the read.
Old 09-08-07, 08:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

I wonder what people might recommend three years on....
Old 09-08-07, 11:03 AM

Vogelein. http://www.vogelein.com/vogelein/index.shtml Loved the original, Clockwork Faerie and looking forward to Old Ghosts. There are some preview pages available for both on her website.
Old 09-10-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy thread ressurection!
Old 09-10-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started reading this without noting the date and saw Crossgen. I was a little confused.

I don't know how low the sales are on these titles, but they're certainly "below the radar".

I'm enjoying Avatar's Black Summer by Warren Ellis

Another Ellis title, Fell from Image (when it actually comes out, that is).

Garth Ennis' Boys from Dynamite.

Brubaker's Criminal from Marvel
Old 09-10-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scalped
Old 09-10-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Yeah, I started reading and then starting wondering if Crossgen was coming back or something.

How is Invincible doing these days? I like the book, but I'd rather just read the trades, and not I'm thinking of just getting the HCs since I'm double dipping on those anyway.