Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What Comics are you reading [March]?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine just let me borrow the Watchmen book. He says it is really good so i am going to be reading on that one for a while (its a big book).
Old 03-02-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
A friend of mine just let me borrow the Watchmen book. He says it is really good so i am going to be reading on that one for a while (its a big book).
It is excellent. There are a few all-too-convenient plot points towards the end which bug me, though.

If you like that, run and get V for Vendetta.
Old 03-02-04, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
It is excellent. There are a few all-too-convenient plot points towards the end which bug me, though.

If you like that, run and get V for Vendetta.

I'll definitly check it out if I like it. My friend that owns the book loved it and we have similar taste. It might be a few dyas before I get started on it because I just got my package from Viper today with the rest of the Dead@17 series for me to read.
Old 03-03-04, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I picked up a couple of TPBs along with the usual stuff last week. First was Essential Punisher, which I haven't opened yet, but am very much looking forward to. It basically collects all the various Punisher appearances before his first regular series started in the mid-80s. I'm not to big a fan of the character as a protagonist, but I enjoy seeing him pop up as a somehwat-ally, somewhat-enemy of Spider-Man or Daredevil throughout the 70s and early-80s.

Second, I got Rex Mundi. The TPB reprints issues 0-5 of the series, and all I can say is "Wow!" I've been a big fan of grail conspiracy theories ever since I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail a dozen years ago, and this series -- set in a 1930s Europe in which the Protestant Reformation never occurred and monarchs still reign -- makes incredible use of that conspiracy. I can't wait to see where they're going with this. (By the way -- some of the cover copy describes it as a limited series. Have the creators indicated how long they anticipate the finished series will be?).

Third, I got Judgment Day. I hate buying a book with the hideous Rob Liefeld art (why does the man insist on drawing 21 jillion lines around everyone's crotch? What the hell is up with that), but that Alan Moore sure can spin a story. It's not as good as his work on Supreme, but I don't regret the purchase.
Old 03-03-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JasonF
Second, I got Rex Mundi. The TPB reprints issues 0-5 of the series, and all I can say is "Wow!" I've been a big fan of grail conspiracy theories ever since I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail a dozen years ago, and this series -- set in a 1930s Europe in which the Protestant Reformation never occurred and monarchs still reign -- makes incredible use of that conspiracy. I can't wait to see where they're going with this. (By the way -- some of the cover copy describes it as a limited series. Have the creators indicated how long they anticipate the finished series will be?).

You have GREAT taste. Absolutely one of the best comics I've read in the past 5 years, easlily one of the 10 best comics being published today, & one of the most intelligent comics on the market as well. For anyone interested, all 8 issues are still available to order do bug your local comic book store to order them for you. The letters columns, & pages at he end of each issue written by the creators really give you a great deal of back story & what goes into what really is one of the most heavily researched comics out here.

In the first or second issue of the series, the writer said he always invisioned Rex Mundi having a finite ending that would take place around issue #35-40, so as long as the book sells well enough, that is when he plans on rapping the series up. The art is also amazing on the title. Anyone looking for something different & a really complex well told story, should check this book out.
Old 03-03-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just read Brit (Kirkman/Moore) and it was really pretty good...So far, I haven't read anything from Kirkman I didn't like (Cloudfall, Invincible, Capes, Brit)...looking forward to the upcoming Walking Dead TPB. Now I've just gotta go back and get Brit: Cold Death.
Old 03-05-04, 06:48 AM

I just finished reading the 5th Powers tpb, Anarchy. Bendis is amazing and the amount of tension in that volume really had me on the edge of my proverbial seat. Oeming's art is perfect for that book and the two of them just work so well together.

That's one of the things I like so much about Bendis's books. Regardless of whether it's Powers, or Daredevil, or Ultimate Spiderman, he really tailors each book to show off the strenths of his artists.

JasonF - I've heard great things about Rex Mundi and I keep meaning to get it. Thanks for the additional info.
Old 03-17-04, 04:00 PM

Anyone read 30 Days of Night ? I was in the comic shop today getting a subscription form and the Losers TP and saw a few books of this. I love the artwork. Very dark and morbid looking. Is the story any good? I notice its on the subscription sheet so i am assuming its an ongoing series.
Old 03-17-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Just read Fantastic Four #511, which ties up the "Hereafter" arc. No to drop a spoiler, but it brought a huge smile to my face when they finally met up with "God"...

Spoiler:
...who winds up looking a heckuva lot like Jack Kirby!

King of Kings, indeed! As a lifelong FF fan, I got a huge kick out of it.
Old 03-17-04, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by mljones99
Anyone read 30 Days of Night ? I was in the comic shop today getting a subscription form and the Losers TP and saw a few books of this. I love the artwork. Very dark and morbid looking. Is the story any good? I notice its on the subscription sheet so i am assuming its an ongoing series.
30 Days of Night was a 3 issue mini series (now over). The sequel was Dark Days, a 6 issue mini (also now over). The third 'series' will be 30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow (3 issues), which starts sometime in the next month or so. There was also a 30 Days of Night Annual.

Personally, I loved 30 Days of Night, but felt it was rushed and too short. Dark Days, however, felt like a thin concept stretched. I also don't feel that $4 for comic with less pages than a 'normal' comic is a particularly good value. Nonetheless, I would check out 30 Days of Night, especially if you can get the TPB at a discount and it interests you.
Old 03-18-04, 07:15 AM

I'm reading the Outsiders: Looking for Trouble tpb, which is okay.

Also (this is going back quite a few years) reading Bill Bill Sienkiewicz's Stray Toasters.
Old 03-18-04, 10:44 AM
MrN

I read Supreme Power vol. 1 - Pretty good origin-type story but I'm still reminiscing about that Squadron Supreme mini.

MEK/Reload - Decent quickie stories. Good choice of artists but the stories are nothing to sing about.

Yesterday I picked up the 3rd trade of Y, the Last Man and Daredevil vol. 8 so those are next on my pile.
Old 03-18-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really like the art in Marvel Knights: Fantastic Four.
Old 03-18-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patman, how's the story in MK: FF? I've come this close to buying each of the first 3 issues based on the cover alone.
Old 03-18-04, 12:29 PM

I thought the story in MK:FF was pretty decent. It focuses on the real life problems of the family instead of galactic issues and huge supervillans (so far).
Old 03-18-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But is it realistic? Are they working at McDonalds or something when they shouldn't have a problem getting real jobs?
Old 03-18-04, 04:20 PM

bought Spectacular Spider-Man: Countdown yesterday
Old 03-24-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ive been readin superman : secret identity by kurt busiek

excellent stuff

pick up astro city , amazing book by him as well
Old 03-25-04, 01:06 AM
MrN

The Y,tLM trade was average.
Superman: Secret Identity is awesome.
Picked up the new trade of Amazing Spiderman today.
Old 03-25-04, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Just picked up the Supergirl: Many Happy Returns TPB at the LA Wizard Con. I'm gonna dig into it after I finish off Adolf: A Tale of the Twentieth Century.

Andrew
Old 03-25-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hedge knight is the best comic I've read, period.
Old 03-26-04, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

DW's Transformers ongoing is prettt good, though it's only up to #3.
Old 03-26-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the street fighter comic is pretty cool. especially if your nostaligic like me
Old 03-28-04, 05:42 PM
MrN

Amazing Spider-Man trade was blah - I'll probably stop buying.
Next up: Losers Vol. 1
Old 03-29-04, 11:10 AM

no way, i loved the amazing spider-man's! the graphic novels are ace!...i intend to pick up "Vol 6: Happy Birthday" later on this week, if my comic store still has it yay!