Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

new to comics and need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to comics and need suggestions

hey guys, I am new to the comic book world and I am looking for some suggestions. I was strolling through the book forum and read the thread about what comics people are reading and noticed a couple of people enjoyed Sleeper alot. Well, I had some time to kill before class so I went up to a comic shop a few blocks from campus and got #10-#12. I read #10 before class and really enjoyed it. What other comics are similar to this?

I also saw in the other thread that Dead@17 is popular but they didn't have it at the shop and I completley forgot to ask when I checked out. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 02-11-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
If you liked Sleeper, you may enjoy Ed Brubaker's other work. DC just solicited a trade of the first few issues of Gotham Central, at the low price of $10. He'll be taking over Authority shortly. He's also writing Catwoman, and the first 24 issues are really good.

The other "Eye of the Storm" titles from Wildstorm might insterest you, Wildcats 3.0 and Stormwatch: Team Achilles.
Old 02-11-04, 02:20 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm such a total geek and for some reason I love greatest whatever lists. I hang out at Brian Michael Bendis's board a lot and I've seen people ask for people's top 5 favorite ongoing comics several times, but I've never seen one big list. So I decided to take one of the big threads and compile an overall top ongoing list. Being that this was on Bendis's board, it's no surprise that he takes the top spots, but I think everybody can agree this is a pretty good list nonetheless.

1. Powers
2. Ultimate Spider-Man
3. Daredevil
4. Y the Last Man
5. 100 Bullets
6. Planetary
7. Fantastic Four
8. Queen and Country
9. Supreme Power
10. Amazing Spider-Man
11. Gotham Central
12. Runaways
Old 02-11-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suggest you read this thread and this one and this one.

After that, find the rest of the SLEEPER series (issues 1-6 are in trade paperback form) and consider Y: THE LAST MAN. These two rule!

Then I'd suggest you check out this site: http://www.paperbackreader.com/ and read this guy's reviews (then sign up for the forum).

Last edited by James W. Powell; 02-11-04 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 02:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[James W. Powell]