Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Female equivalent to comic book's THE BLOB?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any super heros (or villains) that could be considered the female version of THE BLOB? Or what about the female version of THE HUMAN TORCH?

I just need art images from a comic book that depicts a "large" woman super hero and a woman "fire" super hero.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Good question, but I really can't think of any off the top of my head. The only woman "fire" hero I can think of is Firestar from the "Spider-man and His Amazing Friends" cartoon but she wasn't based on a previously existing comic character (I think the cartoon producers had to invent her because they couldn't get the rights to the Human Torch). She might have appeared in some Marvel comics after the fact.
Old 07-29-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are there any FAT women in super hero comics? I know young boys prefer small waistes and big chests, but someone had to have considered a large villain at least.
Old 07-29-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Fire, from the Giffen-era JLA, was a fire-based female superhero. She sort of looks like a green female Human Torch.

As for fat chicks in comics, I can think of two right off.

The first, and only superhero, was Zeppelin/Zephyr from Valiant Comics' Harbinger. She called herself Zephyr (power of flight), but everyone called her Zeppelin. Kind of cruel, actually.

The other would be Depsair from Sandman. And she's always naked, too, fanboys.
Old 07-29-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man

The other would be Depsair from Sandman. And she's always naked, too, fanboys.
I forgot about Despair. Of course it's kind of stretching it calling her a "superhero". But she is fat (and naked, ick) .
Old 07-30-03, 02:29 AM

One recent fire-based female villain is Scorch, in the DC universe. I think she's a pretty recent creation, but she doesn't do the Human Torch 'flame on' kinda thing. I think she just makes it do funky things. She's appeared recently in JLA (on the cover of August's JLA #84 too) so if you need pictures, you can probably go pick up some recent back issues.

As for a 'large' female superheroine, in the DCU, there was a character called the Red Tornado. She wore red long johns and had a bucket over her head. Last I saw her in a comic was in Young Justice #45. She's pretty much forgotten now, I believe. But there's an android by the same name that you still see time to time, not sure if there's any relation.

Hope this helps

Last edited by looney2n; 07-30-03 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-30-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-08-03, 04:51 PM

John Byrne's run on Alpha Flight had a morbidly obese super villain called "Pink Pearl." Whe wore a pink dress and in the real world would have weighed about 1000 pounds, and her weight was sort of her super power--she could be shot and her fat would absorb the bullets.

Later during Byrne's West Coast Avengers run, he did an issue guest starring the "Great Lakes Avengers," and one of the members of this team was a similar obese character. Can't remember her code name right now, but she was a thin super model who could somehow gain hundreds of pounds and become a chubby super hero.

During Byrne's Fantastic Four run (yes, I like John Byrne) there was a story arc where Johnny Storm (the Human Torch) had a girlfriend named Frankie Ray, who discovered she had latent super powers and became sort of a female version of the Torch. Later she was granted cosmic powers by Galactus and became his new herald, and called herself Nova.
Old 08-11-03, 07:38 AM

redskull just said everything I was going to say. Good work,skull.
Old 08-11-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big Bertha