Old 07-30-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dk3? anyone got it yet?

i hear its out tommorow!
Old 07-31-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just finshed reading dk2 #3, it was ok................... tied up all the loose ends, and nothing surprising

im dissapointed
Old 08-15-02, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
i just finshed reading dk2 #3, it was ok................... tied up all the loose ends, and nothing surprising

im dissapointed
I just finished #3 as well, and was very dissapointed. In fact, the whole series sucked IMHO. I bought a Batman book, but half of it was SuperMan-WonderWoman.
Old 08-16-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone know where i can get a copy of the squadron supreme tpb, i see a few on ebay, but is it gonna be back in print any time soon?
Old 09-13-02, 12:06 AM

I second the massive support of Planetary and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. These books are great, great fun.

The Batman Halloween stories that have been mentioned are favorites of mine, too.
Old 09-13-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you guys read my book buying binge thread:

as for tpbs i just bought arkham asylum and elektra: assassin

woo (spent too much money)
arkham asylum is one of my all time fav's. i always thought it'd be a good one for a movie. great graphics.
Old 09-15-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just finihsed v for vendetta and batman year 2

both were pretty good, v for vendetta was crazy!
Old 09-16-02, 12:25 AM

If you like the craziness, and are okay with non-superhero comics, check out GEAR by Doug TenNapel. It's a great book with a very unique style. Featuring:

-Retarded cats
-Giant bugs
-Robot dogs
-Heaven
-Ancient secrets
-Little fishies
-A great story about conflict between different societies

...and more! Give it a chance.

Last edited by El Gray; 09-16-02 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-16-02, 03:49 AM
Uber Member

It was on both lists (top 3 too) but I'd just like to put in a vote for getting Maus. There's a part 2 that I thought was a little weaker than the first book, but just really brutal stuff.

If you don't know what it is, the author is basically doing a biography of his father's experiences as a Jew in Germany during WWII, but with Jews portrayed by mice and the Nazi's as cats.

I also like Miller's Sin City work, and while I found parts of Cerberus to be really funny, the end of the Church and State book really irritated me. I'm fairly conservative in my politics and the just felt like I had wasted so much time on what turned out to be a really sloppy attack on the Church and politics disguised as a pretty unimaginative ending. One of these days I'll try reading the next books in the series (which I'd already bought), but I thought I'd just give a heads up because they are such long books.

I wonder if the Avenger's Michael Saga was ever published as a trade paperback?

-David
Old 09-16-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by Blade

I also like Miller's Sin City work, and while I found parts of Cerberus to be really funny, the end of the Church and State book really irritated me. I'm fairly conservative in my politics and the just felt like I had wasted so much time on what turned out to be a really sloppy attack on the Church and politics disguised as a pretty unimaginative ending. One of these days I'll try reading the next books in the series (which I'd already bought), but I thought I'd just give a heads up because they are such long books.
Just curious, what parts of Cerebus did you object to?

(Okay, I've never read Cerebus in any great detail, so I don't know how C+S ended. It is generally considered that High Society and Church & State are the high points of the run, though.)

You might find Sim's later books of Cerebus more to your liking, though. Sim has gained quite a reputation for being an anti-feminist (misogynist, as some might say), rails against homosexuals and those who support them (homosexualists), he seems to find have found God in some manner, and thinks Martin Luther King Jr. was a Communist. I'd be tempted to say he's more libertarian than conservative, but if he ever had libertarian leanings, I'd say he's been moving to the right for quite some time.

At times he comes off like Ayn Rand, though his prime target is feminism (apparently, women who don't know their place and any men who would cede their creator-give right to dominate women) rather than collectivism (though he's pretty anti-communist, too). Spouts off about "reason" and "rationality," too -- mainly in the context that women are incapable of thinking rationally. Most of this is from the essays in the backs of the comics (which aren't reprinted in the phonebooks), rather than being in the body of the story itself. One essay was incorporated into the body of a story, though, the infamous issue #186. I think it's in the "Reads" paperback.

Actually, I'm sort of curious if there's been some kind of shift in Sim's personal politics since he wrote C+S. Cerebus is one those of things I should read, but I've never gotten around to.
Old 09-16-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh and astro city rules
Old 09-16-02, 06:15 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Just curious, what parts of Cerebus did you object to?
Well it's been a couple years since I've read it, so all that really remains is a sense of great betrayal at having given so much time to reading this and feeling like the ending was a cheap shot.

The anti-feminism does come out in the book, though I took it as a joke since I hadn't read his essays beforehand. His diatribe about it in his personal essays was pretty far out there (at least what I read of it...I couldn't finish it as it was pretty long (and I didn't have much time to read it at the time) and I hadn't agreed with any of his premises or how he used them in his arguments up to the point I reached, so I stopped).

I need to clean up the room this book is in; if I get around to it, I'll flip it open and try to refresh my memory, and let you know what exactly ticked me off so much. I could be misremembering the political context, but I don't think so.

-David
Old 09-17-02, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kevin75

39. Banner

WOW!!! I just got this trade paperback collection and I didn't even know Richard Corben was working currently. (I ended up picking up Cage #4 and should have probably waited for the trade as the only other issue I'm likely to get is #5.) This was AMAZING! Azzarello’s writing was kick ass as always, but Richard Corben made this what it was. If you liked the original Dark Knight Returns and want to see The Hulk portrayed in the same light, read this book! Fantastic stuff!

There are too many other good recommendations in this thread for me to second, so I”ll just say…”BAANNNNEEERRRR!!!!!!!!”

:sound effect of a 5 mile radius area crumbling:
Old 09-17-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

actually, the banner miniseries and the first few issues of the hulk "relaunch" are being collected in a new hardcover that comes out in a couple months. i am really looking forward to it.
Old 09-17-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Richard Corben has been having quite a comeback as of late.

He also did a five-issue run on "Hellblazer", collected in the Hard Time trade paperback and an original hardcover graphic novel House on the Borderland adapted from the novel.
Old 09-17-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grendel: War Child was an awesome book also. Great illustrations and nicely written. In fact, check out most of the Grendel stories for a good read.

Also, check out any of the Slaine stories. Slaine: The Horned God (painted by Simon Bisley and written by Pat Mills) from Titan books is great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...782528-4621244

It's a British comic/trade paperback, so it's difficult to find in the US, but well worth the read. For a fun read, I'd recommend most of the trade paperbacks released by 2000AD (check out their reprints/comics at www.2000adonline.com)

Last edited by Lampei; 09-17-02 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GRENDEL is great. I wish Dark Horse would ramp up their output of the old Comico material.

Regarding SLAINE, I don't think it's available through American bookstores, but it -- along with the rest of the Titan books -- is available through comic book stores throug Diamond Comics.
Old 09-17-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

where can i get some cheap tpbs guys?
Old 09-19-02, 11:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For the Authority fans out there, I ended up picking up the "Absolute Authority v.1" yesterday and it's a beaut (and expensive: be warned, it's $50).

It collects the first 12 issues (basically the first 2 Authority trades), plus a script & some miscellaneous pictures in the back.

However, it's oversized and *heavy*. The slipcase is simple, but striking (red Authority logo on a black slipcase). The hardcover dust jacket itself has a non-titled wraparound piece of art of the entire Authority team.

The paper is nice, and you get that "new book smell" when flipping through the pages. The art is transferred here MUCH better than the tradepaperbacks (which seem a bit faded). All of the art is bigger of course, but the Bryan Hitch spreads are gorgeous.

Being that I have the issues, the trades, and this oversized behemoth, you can guess I'm a fan
Old 09-19-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

greydt,

thanks for the review. i was planning on picking this up and you just clinched it for me. i sold the first TPB on ebay a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of this. i am probably going to order it tommorrow.
Old 09-20-02, 11:32 AM

where can i get some cheap tpbs guys?
buy.com is a good source for many low price tpbs.
Old 09-22-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coming in a little late to the conversation, but i thought that i would chime in anyway. My wife read Top 10 and loved it, but she goes for that kind of stuff. She's also a huge Bendis fan and loved that the Wizard list had some of his stuff on it. She's been stalking the comic store waiting for the newest Powers trade.
Old 09-24-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im only gonna say it one more time, read astro city, i have 3 of the tpbs and its great
Old 09-24-02, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
buy.com isn't cheap anymore. Try alldirect.com, much cheaper and free shipping over $50.