Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic book fans, what did you get this week 04/17/02?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-02, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't go the comic book shop this wednesday, was going to go today, but it was raining really really hard, so figured I would go tomorrow. Hate driving during thuderstorms and didn't want to get my books wet either.

I did get a package in the mail today with some comics in there (only ordered it 6 weeks ago, BAH). Got some old Blade of the Immortal issues (I LOVE this series, and the art is amazing too) and a couple Ruse issues. I really enjoy Waid's writing, figured I'd check out the first few issues of this series since I like Sherlock Holmes too (the character has a Sherlock Holmes feel to him from what I've heard). I was supposed to get a lot more in the box, but the dude didn't have them in stock (even though he did when I ordered them online), really sucks, but at least he refunded the difference, oh well.

Concerning Superman art, from what somebody posted in the last comic book thread, I don't enjoy McGuiness' art much. I mean, I don't hate it, it's a lot better than some artists who've done Superman, but I don't like his "bubbly" Superman rendition. To each his own I guess.

Has anybody played Freedom Force? that comic book type game for the PC in which you're old fashioned super heroes?

Fill me in on whats going on over in the Marvel side of books. The only Marvel book I get is New X-Men. Planning on getting some Black Panther issues when I get enough dough, I've read the first 20 or so issues, thats one of the best series going on right now, and I was NEVER a Black Panther fan, could've cared less about him. Oh yeah, I'll probably pick up that new Kevin Smith Black Cat series once it comes out, in a month or 2.

-Spooon69
Old 04-18-02, 10:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

What I picked up this week:

The Singles
Birds of Prey #42: A nice side story of Oracle and Power Girl. Even though I got aboard onto Birds of Prey because of Guice's art (before he moved onto Ruse), the stories in Birds of Prey have been and interesting read due to the interesting main characters. I'm also not a big fan of the "Batman events", and was glad this issue didn't have any ties to that Fugitive storyline/
Establishment #8: A much more sedate, but similar sense of humor to The Authority.
Gen 13 #76: One more issue until the end! Would you be impressed if I told you that I had Gen 13 #1-76? Yeah, I didn't think so . However, as an Adam Warren fan (esp for his Dirty Pair work), having him write the final arcs to Gen 13 is awesome. I've also enjoyed his use of censored - with a black box - cursing and nudity Heaps of censored nudity in this one!
Startling Stories: The Meglomaniacal Spider Man: I've never read "HATE" before, but Peter Bagge's take on Peter Parker is...weird. Not for everyone, but a nice diversion.
Knights of the Dinner Table #66: One of my favorite comics - if you've EVER played pen and paper RPGs before, you'll get a kick from KOTD. It's a comic about people playing an RPG called Hackmaster. Sounds dull, but dang amusin. Heck, it actually got me back into RPG gaming after 10+ years.
L33T: Comics for Gamers #1: Not as funny as I thought it would be. A collection of gamer related strips that I think orignally appeared online. Comes bagged with another comic called "Superosity" (#7 in this case). Unless you're a diehard strips fan, pass on this.

The Trades
GI Joe TPB v.1: Oh, the memories! Collects issues #1-10 of the original GI Joe series. Alot of it seems pretty dated (both in art, dialogue and story), but I still got a nice nostalgic feel while reading this. Favorite is still the 2-part Oktober Guard story that takes place in Afghanistan. Most surprising: wow, it was a pretty violent comic... :b
Queen & Country v.1 HC: Have the individual issues, but I really like this series and decided to go the hardcover route. I recommend giving this series a try if you haven't: a SC version is available for around $10-11. Oh, and Q&C#1 will be one of the "Free Comics Day" titles, so maybe give it a try then. However, I have to warn that it's more story than action.
Planetary v.2 HC: Another great series that I wanted to get in HC format.

Spoon - Hey, send some of that rain to us here in NYC . It's over 90 here, humid and we're on the verge of a drought emergency.
Old 04-19-02, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by greydt
Gen 13 #76: One more issue until the end! Would you be impressed if I told you that I had Gen 13 #1-76? Yeah, I didn't think so .
Queen & Country v.1 HC: Have the individual issues, but I really like this series and decided to go the hardcover route. I recommend giving this series a try if you haven't: a SC version is available for around $10-11. Oh, and Q&C#1 will be one of the "Free Comics Day" titles, so maybe give it a try then. However, I have to warn that it's more story than action.
Spoon - Hey, send some of that rain to us here in NYC . It's over 90 here, humid and we're on the verge of a drought emergency. [/B]
Gen 13 - Never read any of those issues, but I have seen that animated movie they had, it was pretty good.

Q&C - It's one of the free comics? oh well, i just picked up 1-4 on ebay last week, got em for ~$4, so I guess it wasn't a total waste. Loved Rucka's whiteout, can't wait to read this.

No way am I giving up the rain! I hate the pollen (messes up my car and gives me real bad allergies) and the temperature here has been record breaking the last couple days too (96 degrees yesterday I believe).

It's raining AGAIN today, which is weird, even for Virginia.

-Spooon69
Old 04-19-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic book fans, what did you get this week 04/17/02?

Glad someone stepped in to make this thread this week
Haven't had a chance to read anything but New X-men & DD yet, but a lot of stuff came out this week i've been waiting for. I picked up...

New X-men #125 - I don't get what Marvel sees in Kordey, his art, I hate to even call it that, hurts my eyeballs looking at it. I also sincerely hope it was a joke what beast said this issue, I think it is, if it's not I'm dropping this book till Morrison leaves despite how much I love it.

B.P. R.D.: Hollow Earth #2 - Never thought this was coming out. The first issue was awesome & I love seeing all the supporting Hellboy characters taking center stage.

G.I. Joe Battle Files #1 - I don't know what but I'm a sucker for any books in this format, I wish their were more.

The Establishment #8 - This is honestly one of the best team books out there.

Birds Of Prey #42

Black Widow #1 - 2 Kordey books in one day, what is MArvel thinking, Rucka is one of my favorite writers & Black Widow is one of my 3 all-time favorite female characters so I couldn't pass this up.

Captain Marvel #31

Daredevil #32 - Saw this ending coming from a mile away, this comic is great but Bendis takes to long to set up the obvious.

Incredible Hulk #39 - This may possibly be the best comic being published right now.

Powers #19

Trades:

The Life & Death Of Captain Marvel - Jim Starline is responsible for 2 of my 5 all-time comic book stories I have ever read & the Death of Captain Marvel is one of them. Anyone who hasn't read this I feel is missing out on essential comic book reading as this is one of the most underrated & influential comics ever written.

Originally posted by Spooon69
Fill me in on whats going on over in the Marvel side of books. The only Marvel book I get is New X-Men. Planning on getting some Black Panther issues when I get enough dough, I've read the first 20 or so issues, thats one of the best series going on right now, and I was NEVER a Black Panther fan, could've cared less about him. Oh yeah, I'll probably pick up that new Kevin Smith Black Cat series once it comes out, in a month or 2.

-Spooon69
I always hated Panther also & I read the first 3 issues a few months ago on a whim & was beyond amazed, it's actually one of the best comics I have ever read. I've been trying to get all the back issues also but I can't find issue #23 anywhere if you find I store that has it let me know, maybe we can work something out, I'm a gold DVD trader, have perfect ebay feedback & I work in a comic book store so if you are looking for something perhaps I can help. As for some Marvel stuff I cannot recommend enough getting into Incredible Hulk, it's another character I never had any interest in but has become absolutely amazing. Also check out next weeks Captain America #1.

I've played Freedom Force, it's definitely a fun game worth checking out, the voices are hysterical & so are some of the characters, it gets a little boring after a while but I really havent played it that much.

If anyone is interested in an early review of Captain America #1, the comic that I have been looking forward to more than any other comic announced in the last year, let me know, I have the issue.
Old 04-19-02, 07:15 PM

Re: Re: Comic book fans, what did you get this week 04/17/02?

Originally posted by Sessa17

Incredible Hulk #39 - This may possibly be the best comic being published right now.

Like I've said before, I'm just getting back into comics. I picked up Incredible Hulk #39 and it looks great. I grew up on The Transformers. Has anyone picked up the latest version of it? I heard it sold out nation wide in 3 days. Thanks.
Old 04-20-02, 04:25 PM

Superman: Man of Steel #125 - He's my hero; I get an issue of Superman a week, no matter how bad the writing/story, just hooked I guess.

New X-Men #125 - I like the cover with that chicken dude; haven't read the story yet though, but I'm sure it's great.

Previews - Like flipping through it and it helps me decide if I should put stuff on or take stuff off my monthly list.

Thats all I got today, looked around for some back issues, but they're all hard to find. I put Lucifer #16 & #17 in my box though, probably buy em next week or the week after, it's probably the best Vertigo series out now.

Sessa17: I've never been a fan of Captain America, can't really say why, but put up the review for the first issue, I might check it out since it's a new series. Also, I put a reply to your Black Panther #23 query in the Book Exchange thread.

-Spooon69
Old 04-20-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
New Punisher, BPRD #2 (amazing how this guy manages to get Mignolas art down -- nearly identical), Just a Pilgrim #2, Aria (dunno if I've seen more beautiful art than Anacleto's anywhere. Just too bad he hasn't illustrated more than the cover for the last coupla series).

Tuan Jim
Old 04-22-02, 09:23 PM

Week's TPBs

Alec: The King Canute Crowd

Actually, I attempted all three Alec books (includes Three Piece Suit and How to Be an Artist). I didn't much care for any of them. Not to say they weren't well done, but they just didn't feel resonant enough. True life stories rarely work as well as fiction, if only because our lives tend to be so mundane, much of the time.

Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish

I love Neil Gaiman, and this story was an inspired idea. Unfortunately (for me), it never quite escapes the "children's book" genre and winds up feeling too repetative.

Jar of Fools

Not at all what I expected from what little I had read about it. Very good story and well worth the read. Highly recommended!