Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Where to sell comic books? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to sell comic books?

I was just cleaning out the closet and it's time to sell the comic books....

I know some of the ones I own off hand....

Marvel Team-Up #1
A lot of the older Peter Parker's

What do you guys recommend to do for me to sell them? It's been probably 10 years since I attended a comic book convention / purchased a comic book.

How about for the value? Is there any other mag besides Wizard out there?? Since some of the ones I own are not in Wizard.

Thanks
Old 03-28-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to www.wizardworld.com and look up the price of your comic. You can also put it up for sale (you have to give it a quality determination though) there as well. I have found this site invaluable for both finding comics and finding prices.

The other thing you could do is go and get a price guide, but the website is far easier to use and understand I feel.
Old 03-28-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I work in a comic book store we buy stuff all the time but I can garaunty you out of the comic you listed , you DO NOT want to sell them to a store. You probably would only get $25 cash, $40 store credit at some stores depending on if they need back issues of those titles & what condition they are in. Comic book shops are there to make money, & those comics you have everybody has, at least every store does or should have. If your Marvel Team Up #1 is the one with Spider-Man & The Human torch, if it is in Near Mint condition that's a pretty good book, it's a $100 dollar comic, if not then you may not get much for it. the Peter Parkers aren't worth much more than cover price.

Cusomters or fans will tell you that Wizard sucks, it's stupid, it is just a marketing gimmick, but I can garaunty that 9 out of 10 stores price their comics according to Wizard.

The ONLY way to make any money whatsover off of comic books, unless you have amazing issues, & I'm sorry but yours are not, is ebay. And that really depends on the condition of your comics, if you have a full run, (if you Peter Parkers aren't a full run you probably are better off just holding on to them or donating them to charity), & how many other people on ebay have the exact same item on at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-28-02 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-28-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I was thinking they probably are not worth much.....

Probably the same goes for the baseball cards I own. I really don't want them anymore so may just get what I can get for them.....

That is another thing.... give them to goodwill and write them off my taxes for $3,000
Old 03-28-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Give us a more complete list of what you've got (or email me a list if it's too long to post here). Some folks here on DVDTalk might be interested.

It'd certainly net you a bit more than would selling them to a comic store.
Old 03-28-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm interested in older Spider-Man stuff, so if you have a list and some prices, I'll def. take a look
Old 03-28-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Only real way to sell comics anymore is to find buyers directly (such as your fellow DVDTalkers), or by listing them on EBay.

99.99% of the time it's useless to try to sell them to a comic store. Most stores now pay per pound, not per book, and it's almost always pennies on the dollar.

And, since everyone reading this thread is a comic fan, check out my website!

-Brian
Old 04-11-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Ebay has been very good to me selling/buying comics the past 3 years or so. I've been trying to weed out my collection and have done a decent job. I'll rarely make a killing but with "hot" comics I've done decent - $90 for Ultimate Spider-Man #1-7 or $300 for a complete Miracleman #1-16 set for instance. Of course there have been some when I've taken a bath in getting a decent price, but the way I figure it it's better than nothing, and certainly beats trying to peddle books to a shop or any other method out there.
Old 04-11-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had success selling books in lots of 10 on eBay. A friend gave me his collection, and the overlap went on sale at eBay. Some lots sold better than others, but I sold them all.
Old 04-18-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of curiousity, is anyone out there interested in comic book trading here? I've got a box full of comics (mostly 70's-90's Marvel/DC superheroes stuff) that I want to get rid of...nothing rare or valuable, just good fun reading :-). Looking for other readable comic books in exchange! Postage would be pretty cheap if we used media mail/book rate. I could list what I have here in a different post if there is interest.
Old 04-18-02, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by fantasia
Out of curiousity, is anyone out there interested in comic book trading here? I've got a box full of comics (mostly 70's-90's Marvel/DC superheroes stuff) that I want to get rid of...nothing rare or valuable, just good fun reading :-). Looking for other readable comic books in exchange! Postage would be pretty cheap if we used media mail/book rate. I could list what I have here in a different post if there is interest.
Post the list, I'm always looking for a good read. Alas I don't have any books I want to exchange. I sold about ~650 of my books 2 months ago, did some cleaning up.

-Spooon69

PS-Start a thread with what you have, hopefully other people will post what they have in that thread too.
Old 04-19-02, 09:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

Feel free to post any comic lists to the book trading thread stuck atop this forum.

Benedict
Old 04-19-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
$300 for Miracle Man 1-16? Holy shiite! I have a nice run that goes beyond those issue (into the 20's).
Old 04-19-02, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Patman
$300 for Miracle Man 1-16? Holy shiite! I have a nice run that goes beyond those issue (into the 20's).
Would you be interested in selling #23? I've been looking for that one for AGES. Thats the only one I need to complete the collection (1-24), and I'm really stubborn about it so I haven't even started reading the series yet (and they've been sitting in my closet for years). I'm a huge Alan Moore fan too so it's very annoying not reading his work that is a few feet away from me.

-------------------

Sorry, posted the request without thinking, I've posted my wants in the book exchange thread.

-Spooon69 (three o's)

Last edited by BinaryTB; 04-19-02 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-08-02, 01:26 AM

I like EBay, just because it's flat out the cheapest way to get a lot of comics for a good price- great for fans and beginners

Before I really knew what I wanted, I just bougt lots of things I'd heard were good or popular and read my butt off : P

And it came out a lot cheaper than if I would have bought new issues a $3/each at any comic book store.
Old 06-03-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Best way to unload comic books?

I'm graduating in a semester and I feel the need to simplify my life before moving on -- ie. unloading a lot of stuff I've accumulated over the last 4 years, including several crates of comic books. Would it be easiest to (as I've been considering) put the books up in lots on ebay -- ie. Incredible Hulk #421-451 with info on the condition of each book or is there another place? I'd like to dump them in groups simply for the sake of convenience.

I'm not positive that I'd be the best judge of condition, but I'm guessing that's mostly kinda subjective, though the vast majority of my stuff is NM from what I understand since I keep them all bagged/boarded, and read them only occasionally. All of these books are from the last 6 years or so onwards.

any/all suggestions appreciated.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 06-03-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a tough question. The reality is that a comic book store will probaby either not want to buy the books for cash, or if they do will screw you on the deal.

I've had lots of luck selling books in lots on eBay. Usually I do it in lots of 10. What I basically do in terms of grading is grade down as far as I feel is fair. A book may be in near mint condition, but I will say it's in fine condition, and so on. The reality is that unless you are selling a premier book (Incredible Hulk 181) you aren't going to get TOP dollar for it.

A buddy of mine decided to get rid of his books and gave me a few boxes worth. I sold all the doubles (mostly X-Men) at a very reasonable price. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-02, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
The trash.

I'm not trying to be glib, just realistic. Most of us who collect realize that with modern comics (from around 1990 on) are worth nothing. Comic Stores routinely purchase them for like $.10/lb. Frankly, I find that it's not even worth the effort to put them on ebay. (I have well over 5000). No matter what the price guides say, they're only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Sad really. Read them, enjoy them, but as far as collectables go they're not worth a whole lot. If you have a really big collection you might be lucky to have a few issues that might be worth a little, but unless they're silver or golden age, probably not. Store them in a cool dry place and pass them on to your kids so they can enjoy them too, by then they might be worth something.

I used to spend over $40 a month on my habit, now I only purchase Graphic Novels and TPBs. Cheaper that way and all I ever wanted to do was read the stories anyways...

Last edited by Eric F; 06-04-02 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-04-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you wind up putting these up in lots on ebay, drop us a clue as to what your online selling handle is.

I just might be interested in bidding on a few of these.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-02, 11:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

A different situation to your own, TJ, but....

.... until recently I had a load of comics from 15-20 years ago that I was intending to offload somewhere: I liked the idea either of giving them to a new comics fan or swappping then for something else; perhaps some nice long runs of a particular title!

In the end, to defeat the very apathy that had kept them under a bed for 10 years or more, I took them to a charity shop!

Like Eric F I am hoping to concentrate more on "graphic novels"/TPBs in future. (I wish there was an outstanding monthly anthology though).

FWIW I have retained a few more recent comics that I expect to read again and/or pass on to a nephew when he is a little older.
Old 06-04-02, 04:00 PM
Banned

Benedict, as far as monthly anthologies go, you might want to try the Akira books which Darkhorse is reissuing bi-monthly (I'm not sure if they've reached the end yet).

As far as to what's good these days, I highly recommend picking up Kurt Busiek's Astro City TPBs, any of the Alan Moore ones like Top Ten,League of Distinguished Gentlemen and Alan Strong. The Warren Ellis books are very good too, especially Planetary.

Otherwise there are the usual various superhero books from the mainstream companies, and the Batman books are usually the superiorly written ones. I just picked up the Dark Victory TPB, which was a follow up to the Long Holloween. Excellent stuff.

And by all means, use half.com and a coupon or alldirect.com! Never pay full price.
Old 06-04-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
The trash.

I'm not trying to be glib, just realistic.
The trash?! Recycle them or give then to charity before you trash them.
Old 06-05-02, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, assuming I do dump them on ebay, what's a decent amount to list for S&H for say, the complete 28 issue run of Wildcats Vol 2. (bagged and boarded)? For some of the lots I'm thinking about, packaging/shipping may be a bit of a hassle, but I'm guessing most people would be wanting media mail over priority for orders like this anyways.

Tuan Jim
Old 06-05-02, 09:52 AM
Banned

madcougar, did you read my entire post? heh.

Tuan, Media Mail is by the lb, so you migh want to get a postal scale or something if you intend to sell big lots. The rates go up at the end of the month btw.
Old 06-05-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In retrospect Eric, that's probably not a bad idea. I'm assuming bagged/boarded books will last pretty long in a cool dark garage with little to worry about from mildew/mold, etc. I certainly can't take them with me when I graduate but that doesn't mean I can't just keep them in my relatives garage. Less hassle too. Still, I can list some of the ones I was planning on dumping if anyone here is interested. I may check at wizardworld.com and see if anyone's interested in individual issues too.

My DVD's on the other hand will definitely be going up on the block. I can't take 100+ discs with me as I continue my journey of life around the world after I graduate. I'll be holding onto a few but I can't carry several crates around with me the whole time. I've also been thinking about what I've been spending my time/money on, and as a result, what my real priorities are/should be in life. Shoulda done this a while ago.

Tuan Jim

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.