Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (11/23-11/28)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (11/23-11/28)

A day late because of the holiday....

Ultimate X-Men #11 - Unless things improve, this will likely my last issue of this title.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #9 - Not sure I'll be getting this title much longer either.

Daredevil #27 - Well, I wasn't too impressed by the last issue, but I'll give Bendis a few more issues to see where he goes with it.

JSA #30 - Forget the JLA. This is the best "team book" out there.

Powers #15

jim
Old 11-23-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A nice week for me. A lot of stuff I've been looking forward to & w/ the 4 day weekend I'll finally get a chance to catch up on stuff. I picked up. . .

Elektra & Wolverine: The Redeemer - (BOOK OF THE WEEK) Just an awesome book. This format is absolutely perfect for Rucka's writing & the art was just beautiful. Highly recommend this book.

Hammer Of The Gods #5 - I've enjoyed this series but it was nothing special. If your an Avon Oeming fan though I recommend it.

Powers #15 - Haven't read yet but I'm glad it's a new story arc.

U.S. War Machine #11- Yet another solid issue.

Birds Of Prey #37 - This book just sucks right now but I keep getting hoping it may be as good as it once was. Maybe w/ Terry Moore taking over.

Crux #8

Ultimate X-men #11 - This bool is so overrated, New X-men takes place in regular continuity & it is a thousand times more inovative, exciting, & daring then this lame Ultimate book. I'll stick around to see what they do w/ Gambit but after that I'll probably drop it.

Daredevil: Yellow #5 - About F'n time this book came out. What's Marvel's excuse for this one.

Daredevil #27 - I completely disagree w/ Gamblor on the last issue. As a die-hard DD fan for over 20 years #26 was perhaps one of the greatest single issues I have ever read & Bendis run only 2 issues in will absolutely be considered a classic.

The Establishment #3 - Haven't read yet but I really enjoyed the first 2 issues & I hope this bool sticks around for a while.

Shadow Reavers #4

Star Wars: Infinities #4 - A very fun what if Star Wars tale. A must have for a star Wars fan.

Bone: Out From Boneville Hardcover Trade - Never read this comic in my life before, Picked up issue #44 & 45 a while back & finally got a chance to read them & was absolutely hooked. I immediately got this first trade b/c I love hardcovers I must have them all now. My only regret is not realizing how amazing Jeff Smith's work was sooner.
Old 11-24-01, 10:14 AM

Week's TPBs

Apparently, this week had a theme:

Goldfish

When I started this book, I thought it would top my list for the week. The fact that it was my least favorite of the three speaks volumes for Bendis. One small complaint about Bendis' crime stories: continuity. Often times, across a series of panels, characters will sporadically switch positions which makes following the dialogue difficult.

Jinx

The events of this story occur in the same world as Goldfish, but you can read them completely independently and in any order. I can't say for certain that I liked this one more or less than the aforementioned book, they were both highly enjoyable.

Torso

Normally I'm the first person to criticize a book if it's even slightly overrated, but sweet jesus - I finished this book in one shot. Minor annoyances like word balloons being clearly linked to the wrong characters, the continuity problem mentioned above and (at one point) characters misremembering each other's names were washed away in a flood of entertainment. This work was actually a bit remeniscent of James Ellroy's novels, a huge accomplishment for Bendis.

For anyone that enjoys Bendis' crime novels, I would recommend Road to Perdition by Collins. For those that liked Torso in particular, you may also enjoy The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy or From Hell by Alan Moore.
Old 11-26-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few comments on the books I picked up....

Ultimate X-Men #11 - That's it! My last issue. This one was absolute crap.

Ultimate Marvel Team Up #9 - Ugh! Just awful! Note to Brian Michael Bendis: Stick to the crime stuff. The attempt at humor in this issue was pathetic. A complete waste. I would make this my last issue of the title, but I believe that Ted McKeever will be supplying the art for an upcoming story and I want to see his take on Spider-Man.

Daredevil #27 - This issue was pretty good, so perhaps I was a bit to harsh on last month's installment. My big problem is still The Kingpin. Can nothing new be done with this character? Typical Kingpin storylines: The Kingpin is the most powerful criminal in the world. But then he's taken down by Daredevil/ Spider-Man/ (insert name of comicbook hero here). He struggles and makes it back to the top. But then he's killed. Except he's not really dead. So he gets his strength back and makes his way to the top again. But then he's taken down by Daredevil/Spider-Man/ (insert name of comicbook hero here). He struggles back to the top. But then he's killed. Except he's not really dead. So he struggles his way....ahhh, you get the idea.

JSA #30 - A pretty disappointing issue (though it is good to have Sadowski back). Nice little twist at the end, though.

Powers #15 - I don't mean to bash Bendis here. This was a very good issue and a promising start for the new storyline. But what's with all the profanity??? Even more than usual. The first half of the book is full of cursing for no good reason. Bendis has a good ear for dialogue. He doesn't need to resort to this.

jim
Old 11-29-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Week's TPBs

I ordered my books for last week via the 'net and they still haven't arrived. I'll try to weigh in then and make some comments. I'm glad I passed on Ult. Team-Up #9 though. And I gave the Incredible Hulk (#34) a try too, as its supposed to be the beginning of the "new direction." I really liked Banner, so I have high hopes

I agreed with "Al" about Goldfish (the character's switching), though I think I enjoyed it more than he did. I still have yet to get to Jinx. I too loved Torso, despite the few scenes were it was obvious (and confusing) that the word balloons got attached to the wrong people. And after reading it, I got on the 'net to find out more about the Torso killer

I'm going to try and check out your recommendations when I get some free cash