Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading 2023

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-23, 10:52 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading 2023

I've never participated in this kind of thread before, but I'll try to give it a shot.

I'm trying to read more, especially reading for pleasure, and I'll try to post more and thank you for your suggestions.

Here's what I read to wrap up the last couple months of 2022:

Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman

This is a good novel with excellent writing. The story revolves around a pastor's wife in a small town amidst a horrific murder. There's a lot of delicious small town politicking, some folklore mixed with Christian spirituality and Norse mythology and a character saved by wolves like a Jack London story, and characters crisscrossing paths until a final confrontation. This is my favorite of Maltman's novels.

How (Not) to Read the Bible: Making Sense of the Anti-Women, Anti-Science, Pro-Violence, Pro-Slavery and Other Crazy-Sounding Parts of Scripture by Dan Kimball, nonfiction / religion

A book about reinterpreting the Bible, this book has tons of religious memes, bizarre sayings, and weird stories from the Bible that are tough to figure out sometimes. There's humor, scholarly work, and it's fairly accessible. This one was good, thought I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was the target audience. I think Kimball is writing to "ex-vangelicals," people of faith who are deconstructing their experience in the evangelical tradition and trying to wrap their heads around how to reconstruct faith after wrestling with particular interpretations of scripture. Most of what he gets at I'm already there and I gladly don't have a lot from my upbringing to deconstruct, though there were some new ideas, as well as points I didn't necessarily agree with, but that's okay because I don't have to agree with everything to get something out of it. Someone recommended this to me and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Glad to finally try one of these threads, thanks for reading.

I'll post what I started in these first few months of 2023 soon.

The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-14-23)
Old 03-14-23, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I've never participated in this kind of thread before, but I'll try to give it a shot.

I'm trying to read more, especially reading for pleasure, and I'll try to post more and thank you for your suggestions.

Here's what I read to wrap up the last couple months of 2022:

Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman

This is a good novel with excellent writing. The story revolves around a pastor's wife in a small town amidst a horrific murder. There's a lot of delicious small town politicking, some folklore mixed with Christian spirituality and Norse mythology and a character saved by wolves like a Jack London story, and characters crisscrossing paths until a final confrontation. This is my favorite of Maltman's novels.

How (Not) to Read the Bible: Making Sense of the Anti-Women, Anti-Science, Pro-Violence, Pro-Slavery and Other Crazy-Sounding Parts of Scripture by Dan Kimball, nonfiction / religion

A book about reinterpreting the Bible, this book has tons of religious memes, bizarre sayings, and weird stories from the Bible that are tough to figure out sometimes. There's humor, scholarly work, and it's fairly accessible. This one was good, thought I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was the target audience. I think Kimball is writing to "ex-vangelicals," people of faith who are deconstructing their experience in the evangelical tradition and trying to wrap their heads around how to reconstruct faith after wrestling with particular interpretations of scripture. Most of what he gets at I'm already there and I gladly don't have a lot from my upbringing to deconstruct, though there were some new ideas, as well as points I didn't necessarily agree with, but that's okay because I don't have to agree with everything to get something out of it. Someone recommended this to me and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Glad to finally try one of these threads, thanks for reading.

I'll post what I started in these first few months of 2023 soon.

reading is wonderful!
story (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 08:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Ive only read December Park and Come with Me. If you like Stephen King, I would be pretty surprised if you didnt like Malfi from what I have read. December Park was a great coming of age story, not quite the level of IT or McCammon's Boy's Life, but it is really good. Come with Me was also very good, a mystery with a touch of ghost/spirt thrown in. After reading those two, I will definitely seek out more from him.

I would probably say Come with Me may be the better first read, mainly because December Park is pretty beefy, but I loved DP. I do see Bone White frequently mentioned, and will probably be my next read from him.
Never heard of Malfi before but after reading comments in this thread I looked him up and he sounds right up my alley. Will definitely check him out.
Old 03-16-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Finished:

Slewfoot: A Tale of Bewitchery by Brom. The 3rd book I've read by Brom (also The Child Thief and Krampus) and I've enjoyed them all (I'll get to Lost Gods soon). I enjoy his brand of dark fantasy/horror. Not surprising considering his background as an artist (and his drawings that are sprinkled through his books enhance things), but he has a very visual style of writing. Whether it's setting a scene or describing a big action set-piece. This story has a predictable story arc, but it was still fun. I've seen in it lots of movies and tv shows, but I don't remember reading many books about Puritanical era witch hunts. Although in this book, the witch and the "Devil" are very real ... and we're strongly on their sides
Old 03-16-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I finally finished The Ink Black Heart today after starting it in August 2022. I thought it was very good, but overly long at 1,462 pages. I know the author is quite controversial, but I really love the books. I love Strike and Robin. They're really well written characters.
Old 03-16-23, 10:11 PM

I read The Cuckoo's Calling several years ago with my book club and we overall liked it quite a bit. I haven't read any of the rest of their work, though.
Old 03-17-23, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I read The Cuckoo's Calling several years ago with my book club and we overall liked it quite a bit. I haven't read any of the rest of their work, though.
I haven't been disappointed with any of them, but each book gets substantially longer than the previous book. All of the books have been adapted for tv except The Ink Black Heart, but it's coming. You can watch them on HBO Max.
Old 03-17-23, 11:30 AM

That's the one Streaming service we actually don't have. Perhaps the HBO's calling...

Just realized out book club has read The Cuckoo's Calling and The Cuckoo's Egg. We need more cuckoo bookoos!
Old 03-18-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Finished

Old 03-19-23, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

That's the one Streaming service we actually don't have. Perhaps the HBO's calling...

Just realized out book club has read The Cuckoo's Calling and The Cuckoo's Egg. We need more cuckoo bookoos!
John Wyndham - The Midwich Cuckoos
Ken Keasey - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Old 03-20-23, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished:

Old 03-20-23, 09:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Carter Brown is probably my favorite of the dimestore pulp authors.
Old 03-23-23, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

On hold at the library, picking up tomorrow, can't wait to read it! How do you resize it?
Spoiler:

Kurt D (03-23-23)
Old 03-23-23, 11:35 PM

Still reading Gravity's Rainbow. On page 606 ...
Old 03-24-23, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

currently reading stephen king's fairy tale
read billy summers right before this and would recommend
Old 03-24-23, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Finished:

Somehow never read this one and Im sorry it took this long. Loved it, but man it was heavy and had me fighting back the tears for the last quarter or so. Just a beautiful story and I will say one of the best written books King has ever done.
i remember back when this was coming out.. released 1 book at a time.. i was sitting up at books a million waiting for them to open each time one of them was released (along with quite a few other people)
Old 03-27-23, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns has captured my heart. The issue is related to women's rights. I want males as well as women to read it. (But sorry, Idk how to add that image)
Kurt D (04-06-23)
Old 03-29-23, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin. Very different in style and tone than the only other thing I've read Jemisin (the Broken Earth trilogy). Consistently entertaining and imaginative, even if I struggled to like most of the "heroes" (which I suspect was a "New York" thing). I liked it enough to eventually get around to the second half of the "duology", which is already out. Thankfully this had an ending, with things clearly open to where a second book could go.
Old 04-02-23, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished

Old 04-06-23, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones. This is where I cut bait with this author ... despite all the critical and reader raves, I don't like his writing style and don't enjoy reading his books (besides this, I previously read It Came From Del Rio and The Only Good Indians). For what was supposed to be a "fun" book, it was anything but. And I love slashers and all the horror movies Jones name drops, but it was done so frequently that it felt intrusive into the story. I get that it was a stylistic choice, but when the narrator's thoughts constantly meander it makes it hard for me to stay engaged with reading. I did like the reverse Scooby Doo plot twist:
Spoiler:
where it seemed like it going in the direction of a guy using an old ghost girl legend to cover up his slasher murders. Only to have it really be the ghost girl committing the murders.

Last edited by brainee; 04-07-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 06:12 PM

finally finished

I often didn't do more than 5 pages a day, and took many a day off, but I was dogged in my determination to finish.

Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon (for posterity ...)

Last edited by Kurt D; 04-06-23 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 10:08 PM

Hey, so I know I'm new to this thread but something to consider is to not just post a photo but write the name of the book and the author. The photos always run the risk of becoming broken links some day. I also wonder if the titles and authors end up more searchable for the interwebs. I dunno, just a thought.
brainee (04-07-23)
Old 04-06-23, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, so I know I'm new to this thread but something to consider is to not just post a photo but write the name of the book and the author. The photos always run the risk of becoming broken links some day. I also wonder if the titles and authors end up more searchable for the interwebs. I dunno, just a thought.
That's exactly why I started typing out the title and author a few months ago! At first I thought I was just being delusional that anyone would want to find something I posted in a search ... but it's nice to hear someone echo the same thought
story (04-22-23)
Old 04-06-23, 10:42 PM

I often only write the title and author, but sometimes make the effort to include a picture. I thought about going the extra mile with my last post, but decided I wanted to be more like the cool kids! It turns out I was the fool.
story (04-22-23)
Old 04-07-23, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
I often only write the title and author, but sometimes make the effort to include a picture. I thought about going the extra mile with my last post, but decided I wanted to be more like the cool kids! It turns out I was the fool.
We’re posting in Book Talk on DVDTalk … there are no cool kids to be found here
The following 3 users liked this post by brainee:
Bronkster (04-07-23), Kurt D (04-07-23), story (04-22-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.