Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Will any of J.D Salinger's unpublished works see the light of day?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Shortly after he passed when the documentary "Salinger" was released, at the end it speculated that unpublished works were forthcoming, that was 7 years ago. It's known that he never stopped writing and completed multiple novels and short stories that he never published. Has anyone heard any news regarding this?
Old 04-27-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
Re: Will any of J.D Salinger's unpublished works see the light of day?

I hope not. I think an artist should be allowed to decide which of his works is good enough for public display. All creative types have notebooks full of ideas, some that need polish, some that don't go anywhere, and some that just aren't even worth the work to continue. I think it's disrespectful to publish them after the poor guy can't stop you anymore.
Old 05-05-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

His son, Matt Salinger, is on the record saying that they are planning to release these unpublished stories. Apparently they are slowly going through the process of reviewing them and determining how to best release them...I think the original plan was to have them released a couple of years ago but there's some sort of legal issues that need to be worked out...I for one cannot wait...
Old 05-12-20, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah it was always talked about that Salinger had 2 piles of work for after he passed, one for publication, one to never be published. I just didn't think it would take this long.
Old 05-12-20, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I hope not. I think an artist should be allowed to decide which of his works is good enough for public display. All creative types have notebooks full of ideas, some that need polish, some that don't go anywhere, and some that just aren't even worth the work to continue. I think it's disrespectful to publish them after the poor guy can't stop you anymore.
I can't find the quote, but both his son and daughter said he had ear marked work to be published and work to not be published after his death. This isn't a Harper Lee situation where an old dying woman got swindled.