Old 07-02-18, 11:55 AM   #1

What Are You Reading? (July 2018)

Old 07-02-18, 11:55 AM   #2
PAG

Re: What Are You Reading? (July 2018)

Just finished:

Old 07-03-18, 06:59 AM   #3

I'm currently reading the new Stephen King book, THE OUTSIDER. Am about a third of the way through it and am really enjoying it.
Old 07-06-18, 02:58 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainshatner View Post
I'm currently reading the new Stephen King book, THE OUTSIDER. Am about a third of the way through it and am really enjoying it.
Finished:

I liked it (King rarely disappoints me). An interesting twist on a classic monster archetype, especially coming at it from a strong detective/forensics angle. My only quibble, a problem I have with a lot of King's writing, is that it feels a couple hundred pages too long.

Word of warning ... this book drops gigantic spoilers from the Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch). So if you haven't read those (but plan on doing so at some point), I recommend you read them before The Outsider.
Old 07-08-18, 09:26 AM   #5
DVD Talk Reviewer

just finished:

Another brilliant work of dark, psychological horror from Tremblay...

just started:

Some chatter in the June thread had me add this to my list, and I picked it for my "going on vacation" book...
Old 07-10-18, 12:19 PM   #6
PAG

Just finished:

Old 07-10-18, 01:38 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
just finished:

Another brilliant work of dark, psychological horror from Tremblay...
I've never read Tremblay, but he's definitely on my "to read" list. Is there one book of his that's the best introduction to his writing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
just started:

Some chatter in the June thread had me add this to my list, and I picked it for my "going on vacation" book...
That was me that recommended this, so if you hate it I probably don't want to know about it Generally I'd say people who like sci-fi/horror tinged action adventure like James Rollins, Preston & Child, and Maberry's Joe Ledger books would like this. Long's a bit more literary than those guys.
Old 07-10-18, 01:41 PM   #8
DVD Talk Reviewer

brainee - other than some of his short stories I would recommend 'Head Full of Ghosts' also from Tremblay. I'd say either will give you his style rather cleanly.

I am looking forward to The Descent. That is most certainly in my genre wheelhouse...
Old 07-10-18, 04:00 PM   #9

Peter Jackson & the Making of Middle-Earth. While I am not at all a fan of the films, I found the book fascinating, and it actually made me at least try and rewatch the films. I've always found that, even when there are movies I can't stand, I don't mind reading books about the behind-the-scene efforts that it took them to make the movie. Lots of interesting info is found in the book, and I'd recommend it to people who, like me, aren't even fans of the movies...

Born Trump. Great book that sheds a lot of light on the upbringings of Don Jr., Eric, Ivanka, Kushner (yes, they cover Kushner, too), and, to a lesser degree, Tiffany...Good read that only took me a day to read...Lots of details in the book will infuriate you, and it obviously doesn't paint the kids in the best of lights (which would've been almost impossible to do, given their behaviour and support of their father), but it's well worth a read...

Yes, We (Still) Can by Dan Pfeiffer. Much, much better than I expected. At least the author seems pretty honest and doesn't sugarcoat even the "misses" that occurred during the Obama administration...I'd say this was a pretty good read, and another one that really only takes a day to read...
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him." - James Ellroy
Old 07-11-18, 01:49 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

Revisionist fairy tales are nothing new, and I know "alternative" takes on Peter Pan have been in done multiple times in different mediums. Still, I thought this was very good. It's very short (a little over 200 pages) and a quick read. This goes into dark dark places, and is practically a horror story (with children dying horrible and gory deaths).

I need to pick up the author's similar take on Alice in Wonderland (which seems to be her most popular title).
Old 07-16-18, 01:08 PM   #11
PAG

Just finished:

Old 07-17-18, 06:40 PM   #12
DVD Talk Platinum Edition