Old 12-27-13, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
book suggestion

any good inspirational book
Old 01-08-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts
Re: book suggestion

I read Slave Girl of Gor when I was fifteen, and I said, "I can write better than this!" I was inspired to start writing.

The inspiration only lasted until I was about 20, when I realized that I would never be able to touch the writing of Jonathan Swift or Mark Twain.
Old 01-08-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The inspiration only lasted until I was about 20, when I realized that I would never be able to touch the writing of Jonathan Swift or Mark Twain.
I don't doubt you are right, but Mark Twain also couldn't touch the writing of Mark Twain when he was about 20.

To the OP, a shit-ton of people have called Life of Pi "inspirational". Perhaps you'll be one of them.
Old 03-17-14, 07:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a tiny interlude in my early teens, we're probably talking weeks, I was particularly inspired by The Cross & the Switchblade

I am sure that there have been other inspirations but they must have been similarly short-lived and memory fades...!

Funnily enough, looking at Nick Danger's piece, I read half a dozen of John Norman's Gor books when I was about 13/14. For maybe a decade they sat on my bookshelves until I became somewhat embarrassed at having retained them (I dislike disposing of books unless they are duplicates) and so took them to a book exchange. A while back I noticed that these works had become quite valuable - through not being in print - but I think they're available electronically now and that scarcity value has gone.
Old 03-17-14, 08:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I remember having that Cross and the Switchblade comicbook!