Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Frederik Pohl has died

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Frederik Pohl has died

Science fiction author Frederik Pohl has died at 93. I actually saw it in my local newspapers since he lived in Palatine, IL a suburb of Chicago not too far from me. I loved the Gateway/Heechee series when I was a teen. Anyone else read his stuff?

http://www.thewaythefutureblogs.com/...19sept-2-2013/
Old 09-05-13, 02:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Frederik Pohl has died

Pohl is pretty much from the golden age of science fiction alongside the likes of Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke etc.

I am glad that he enjoyed such a long and productive life.

I know that I have read "The Space Merchants" that he co-wrote and also "The Cool War" both of which I have on my bookshelves somewhere. As well as many of his short stories over the years, scrolling through his bibliography I tend to think that I have also read "Gateway", "The Age of Pussyfoot" and probably one or two others.
  • Extract from the BBC obituary
    Pohl went on to edit Astonishing Stories, Super Science Stories, Galaxy and If magazines, as well as an original anthology series, Star Science Fiction. As a book editor, he worked on Samuel R Delaney's Dhalgren and Joanna Russ's The Female Man. As a literary agent, Pohl represented Algis Budrys, Hal Clement, Fritz Leiber, John Wyndham and helped Isaac Asimov publish his first novel Pebble in the Sky in 1950.He is also credited with launching the careers of James Blish and Larry Niven. Although he devoted much of his time to writing in the 1970s, he also was science fiction editor at Bantam Books.
  • Extract from the NY Times obituary
    Mr. Pohl’s grasp of science was impressive; although entirely self-taught, he was elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1982. He was also in demand as a so-called futurist, speaking to business executives and other audiences about the shape of things to come in a science-dominated future — and about the unreliability of even short-range predictions.

Last edited by benedict; 09-05-13 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 03:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Seems like all the greats from that era are dropping. I know I own at least one of his books but doubt I've read it.
Old 09-05-13, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Pohl wrote some good books in the 1970s. When he collaborated with Cyril Kornbluth, they made some of the most funny/cynical stuff ever written. And I kept seeing his name when authors talked about positive experiences with an editor.