Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Help finding a kid's Science Fiction series from the 80s

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help finding a kid's Science Fiction series from the 80s

OK, bear with me, but I'm looking to find a book series from my childhood that I only vaguely remember. It was a Science Fiction series at the elementary school library that came in white hard covers, with some pretty colorful cover illustrations. They were very thin and meant for maybe 2nd-4th graders (this would have been in the late 80's). I don't think the various stories were related to each other, but I could be wrong.

I know that's not much to go by, but does it ring a bell for anyone at all?
Old 03-25-12, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Help finding a kid's Science Fiction series from the 80s

The only books like that I could think of are the Choose Your Own Adventure series.

I don't believe those came in hardcover, though.
Old 03-25-12, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
The only books like that I could think of are the Choose Your Own Adventure series.

I don't believe those came in hardcover, though.
I think they were paperbacks, but it wasn't unusual for schools and libraries to have paperback books rebound as hardcovers.

I remember the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books coming out in the early 1980s, though they were still probably floating around libraries in the late 80s, too.
Old 03-25-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, unfortunately I know it wasn't those, as I had them at my house.

I really wish I could remember anything more about them, besides the fact that I enjoyed them.
Old 03-25-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

I can sort of remember a couple of science fiction books from my elementary school library... they were hardcover, probably about 6" x 9", and rather thin, maybe about 1/4" to 1/2" thick...

They had short stories in them.

One of the stories, I recall, involved a man and woman in some sort of gladiatorial combat with monsters or aliens. (I think the female might have been named "Awn.")

Another story was a really short one about these really huge aliens, like about a mile tall, who were walking the Earth, spraying it with big hoses. Two ladies were tending to a garden and talking about the giant aliens walking around them. One thought she they were making clouds with the big sprayers. It was then shown that the woman who said that was spraying her garden with pesticide, the implication being that the aliens were exterminating the human race.

Those are the only two stories I recall at the moment.

These books also had full color painted illustrations. I don't remember what color the covers were, though.
Old 03-25-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those sound similar, the dimensions are right and I remember the color illustrations (though I wasn't sure if they were just on the covers or on the pages.)
Old 03-25-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books coming out in the early 1980s, though they were still probably floating around libraries in the late 80s, too.
I didn't start school until 1991 so these were still around by the time I started reading. I had to have read most of them.