Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Writing Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Writing Feedback?

So I have been writing for almost a year now. Just about everything that I write about is concerning my random thoughts. My writing is never to be taken serious, but rather just for entertainment value (if you happen to find entertainment in it).

Probably more times than not, when I am stating something that sounds to be a factual piece of information, I am using it to sound knowledgeable or correct, but it could just as easily be incorrect information that I am stating that just sounds good.

I was told that this forum was a place where I could possibly post some material for others to read and comment on, or give feedback, if you so please. If I am not aloud to do this, I am sure this thread will just get closed down. If there is a better spot for this to be posted, please let me know.

I have no problem if you read my material and do not like it at all. I understand that I have a rather unique style of writing, but that is what I am going for.

If you have any feedback on anything I write, I would love to hear it, as it would only help me to become a better writer. Sometimes I feel like I am getting my point across with my words, but others who read it do not grasp what I am trying to express. This is when feedback can help me the most.

If you do not like it, you are more than likely to tell me why, or just ignore this posting. Recently, someone basically told me that I should just do us all a favor and commit suicide, because something that I posted, he considered not funny and a waste of time. I don't really consider that any form of feedback, but rather just a mean since my best friend, my father, and my mailman have all committed suicide within the last month.

Instead of constantly posting new threads each time I write something new, I plan on just replying in this thread. I wrote this short fantasy story a month or two ago and it will give you an idea of my style. Click below if you want to read it, it should only take about 3 minutes. Thanks for looking, and I was kidding about my friend, father, and my mailman......besides, my mailman is actually a woman.

http://whatisandrewmichaelsdoingnow....fter-the-fact/

Last edited by andy434343; 03-01-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Writing Feedback?

Originally Posted by andy434343
So I have been writing for almost a year now. ... I was told that this forum was a place where I could possibly post some material ... If I am not aloud to do this, ...

If you have any feedback on anything I write

1) If you want to write, learn to use the correct word. "Aloud?" Seriously? And in a post where you're wanting feedback?

2) There are many forums for aspiring writers. This is really not one of them. This is "Book Talk." We talk about books. Not random thoughts written by random people. I suppose it's remotely possible you'll get someone wanting to read your stuff, but I'd sure as hell bet against it.
Old 03-02-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your input. I did mention that it was not the type of writing to be taken serious. If I read it, edit it, spell check it, twice over, and the occasional word slips through unchanged, I am ok with that. This is extremely far from a career, and just a hobby that I seem to enjoy.
I am not looking for people to read my writing, who will point out grammatical errors, but I am glad that you did because feedback is feedback, and that is much better than nothing.
I would rather have 5 strangers read my writing and enjoy it for what it is, rather than 500 people read it and get stuck on the proper spelling and/or use of every word. Sometimes people relate to the random thoughts that I write about, and it gives them a quick entertaining read. Other people just ask me why the hell am I doing this. I am sure you can figure out which group of people I am writing for. Anyways, after I posted in this forum I figured I should go to other forums which are better suited for what I am going for. So I will let the thread just die here. Once again thanks for your input.
Old 03-02-10, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a side note, not a criticism since I haven't visited your website. Spelling and grammar ARE important if you want people to read and enjoy your writing. Whether it's five people or five hundred. I certainly am not going to struggle with something that is riddled with obvious errors. On the flip side, if you are just blogging for a small group of friends and family, why solicit feedback from strangers at all?
Old 03-02-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend working on clarity and being more concise.