Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Recommended Fantasy: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Fantasy: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Seeing as I've all but given up on fantasy, it's something of a surprise that I read this. I'm of the opinion that 95% (conservatively) of classic fantasy is classic trash. But ... saw this paperback in the library as I was looking for a beach book for our trip to Cabo. On impulse I grabbed it.

Best fantasy book I've read since A Game of Thrones. The first several hundred pages are fantastic. The book drags a bit through the middle (there's a little too much Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow), and there's a sequence in the latter part that didn't seem to fit, but on the whole, a really enjoyable read. Even more impressive is that it's a first novel.

Anyway, since good fantasy is so hard to come by, thought I'd toss that out there. Anyone else read this?
Old 02-09-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recommended Fantasy: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Totally freaky! I was just going to post a thread about this book.

I read a LOT of fantasy, I'd say that 95% of what I read is average at best or just total cliched crap. I just finished this book last night and this book is completely captivating and phenomenal when you take into account that it is the author's debut. It does not read like a first novel at all. Its the kind of book I just couldn't put down. I hate Harry Potter, and a large part of this book takes place with the main character going to a "magic" school of sorts but its a thousand times better than Harry Potter. I can't wait for the second Kingkiller Chronicle to hit this spring.

This book definitely gives the two things that seperate good fantasy from everything else. One, a unique engaging character, which it definitely has with it's lead (Kvothe), and two, it offers an original twist on the genre.

Is the part that you think felt out of place the whole thing with
Spoiler:
Kvothe & Deena and the dragon nonsense? B/c that was the only part that I thought dragged and kind of went off track from the rest of the story

It's not the best fantasy I've read since Martin, that still goes to the First Law Trilogy, but its definitely the second best.
Old 02-10-10, 04:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

TANGENT: other acclaimed fantasy + shenanigans in Amazon reviews of Rothfuss' oeuvre

Quite useful to see this because delving further led me to a suggestion elsewhere as to other notable fantasy work of the past decade viz. K.J. Bishop's "The Etched City" and Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy of which I'd also not heard.

Not to wish to take this off-topic, but it was fun to see a recent Ansible article on the Amazon review shenanigans apparently perpetrated by 'Bob Direhack' a pseudonymised "author" thought to be jealous of Rothfuss' acclaim.
Old 02-10-10, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Is the part that you think felt out of place the whole thing with
Spoiler:
Kvothe & Deena and the dragon nonsense? B/c that was the only part that I thought dragged and kind of went off track from the rest of the story
That's the part. It didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book. Kvothe almost seemed like a different person, and the whole episode seemed contrived, for no good purpose. They could have eliminated it and lost nothing.

A minor blip, though. When the rest of the book is that good, I'm willing to overlook it.
Old 02-23-10, 01:45 PM

Funny that you started this thread. This book is in my "to read" pile (or would that be a "to read file" on a Kindle?) for my trip to Grand Cayman next week. I'm really encouraged to see that so many people like it. I haven't found a new fantasy author I've really enjoyed in years, and I hope I like this one. The problem I've found with the new young fantasy authors in the last few years is that the characters have absolutely no depth. They read like characters in young adult novels. If I wanted to read something like "Twilight," I'd read "Twilight." I tried Abercrombie and it just didn't grip me, but maybe I'll give "The Blade Itself" another try.
Old 02-23-10, 11:55 PM

Re: TANGENT: other acclaimed fantasy + shenanigans in Amazon reviews of Rothfuss' oeu

Originally Posted by benedict
Not to wish to take this off-topic, but it was fun to see a recent Ansible article on the Amazon review shenanigans apparently perpetrated by 'Bob Direhack' a pseudonymised "author" thought to be jealous of Rothfuss' acclaim.
Any idea who Direhack is? Sounds like a nobody that I've probably never heard of, but got me curious.
Old 02-24-10, 02:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

[Robert Stanek]

Click "pseudonymised", above, to see an article discussing and unmasking "Direhack".
Old 02-24-10, 12:23 PM

Ahh, I'm not that bright. Interesting read. Never heard of this guy. But then, he's a self-published "author," so there's really no reason I should have.

Makes you wonder what's going through his head. Does he really think that trashing real authors is somehow going to make him more popular by comparison?
Old 02-25-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I've been having this sitting on the shelf since it came out but have never gotten around to reading it. Good to to hear all the positive comments, I guess I'll have to bump it up in the que a bit.
Old 02-25-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I've been having this sitting on the shelf since it came out but have never gotten around to reading it. Good to to hear all the positive comments, I guess I'll have to bump it up in the que a bit.
Let us know what you think, I cannot wait for the second book.
Old 03-16-11, 11:56 PM

Second book is out. Anyone shell out for the hardcover? Think I'll wait for the paperback or see if the library picks it up.
Old 03-17-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a couple of questions about this. How long is the series supposed to be? And do these novels reach satisfying ending points (that you'd be fine with even if they're weren't more books coming), or do they feel like an incomplete part of a larger story?
Old 03-17-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Second book is out. Anyone shell out for the hardcover? Think I'll wait for the paperback or see if the library picks it up.
I did. I picked up the first in hardback on a lark and had this one pre-ordered months ago. This one is every bit of good.
Old 03-17-11, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I have a couple of questions about this. How long is the series supposed to be? And do these novels reach satisfying ending points (that you'd be fine with even if they're weren't more books coming), or do they feel like an incomplete part of a larger story?
I believe it's intended to be a trilogy. And I felt satisfied with the first one. Without giving anything away, it takes you up to a certain, logical point in the story. That being said, you're going to want to follow up with the rest. There's one story that spans the trilogy. It's not a cliffhanger, but you're gonna want to know what happens next.
Old 03-18-11, 02:17 PM

I was pretty disappointed with the second book. The pacing is horrible, I really began to like Kvothe less and less as it went on, and the book doesn't resolve anything or really even move the plot forward. Rothfuss' lack of emotional maturity is really evident in this one. There are some interesting pieces of foreshadowing and worldbuilding backstory that have created quite a bit of buzz on some of the forums I frequent, but that doesn't save the novel as a whole.

Rothfuss is going to have his work cut out for him to progress the storyline up to the inn timeline in just one more book.
Old 03-18-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KirstenS
I was pretty disappointed with the second book. The pacing is horrible, I really began to like Kvothe less and less as it went on, and the book doesn't resolve anything or really even move the plot forward. Rothfuss' lack of emotional maturity is really evident in this one. There are some interesting pieces of foreshadowing and worldbuilding backstory that have created quite a bit of buzz on some of the forums I frequent, but that doesn't save the novel as a whole.

Rothfuss is going to have his work cut out for him to progress the storyline up to the inn timeline in just one more book.
Interesting. I thought he did a great job of describing how a very gifted kid in their teens would act.

Spoiler:
Arrogant, brash, sure of himself. I thought Rothfuss did a good job of hammering home that a lot of Kvothe's problems were ultimately self-imposed, regardless of his gifts or abilities. He tries to steal Denna's ring from the worst possible person, and gives them his blood, then accuses someone without proof that actually has his blood. Gah!

I agree with you on the last point. He's had some big things happen, but nothing really as epic as is hinted at in the first book really, save one possibility.
Old 03-21-11, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by stp115
Interesting. I thought he did a great job of describing how a very gifted kid in their teens would act.

Spoiler:
Arrogant, brash, sure of himself. I thought Rothfuss did a good job of hammering home that a lot of Kvothe's problems were ultimately self-imposed, regardless of his gifts or abilities. He tries to steal Denna's ring from the worst possible person, and gives them his blood, then accuses someone without proof that actually has his blood. Gah!

I agree with you on the last point. He's had some big things happen, but nothing really as epic as is hinted at in the first book really, save one possibility.
My problem is...

Spoiler:
Kvothe and especially BAST felt so very emo. And annoying. It's like Rothfuss took all the complaints about Kvothe being a "Mary Sue" in the first book and said "Oh yeah, well here! Kvothe's an irresponsible amoral jerk now!" You mentioned Ambrose. Kvothe's relationship with Ambrose didn't move anywhere from the first book. It was just the same old same old cardboard conflict, repeated ad nauseam. Same with Denna, and the constant run-ins with her. I can't stand that character, and I hope she dies a horrible death in book 3. The sections of Kvothe's sexual escapades in fae-land and the weapons training dragged and were poorly written. I don't think Rothfuss knows another word for "sex," and the martial arts section read like it was ripped off from Robert Jordan.

I found myself frustrated at the University section at the beginning of the book because nothing had changed from TNotW, I enjoyed the sections with the Maer, unlike others, I liked the bandit hunting section, but the rest of the book was complete throwaway for me. I don't think I would have been nearly this disappointed if I hadn't enjoyed the first book so much.
Old 04-10-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the first book and am debating starting the second. It's either that or Game of Thrones.

I thought it was good, but not great. It dragged a bit at times. I got sick of money problems driving the story. At times I think Kvothe forgets he's telling a story and think's he's getting audited, having to account for every half penny. And of course there is the problem of such a brilliant character acting pretty stupid at times. Still, the story is well told. It has an interesting plot and the world is well made. I'm disappointed to hear the next book doesn't move the story along as much as I had hoped.
Old 04-10-11, 11:52 PM

I'm just finishing re-reading the first one and will dig into the second next. Looking forward to it. Wmansir, I agree that the poverty angle did drag a bit at times. Though as for the character making some bad choices ... we have to remember that for most of the first book, Kvothe is 15 years old. A brilliant 15-year-old is still pretty damned stupid at times. Making some idiotic choices is sort of in the job description.

The only part of Name of the Wind I didn't care for was the whole dracus episode. Just seemed entirely unnecessary. But it was fairly short, so I forgive Rothfuss that small misstep.
Old 04-11-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The dracus bit didn't bother me.

Spoiler:
First, just as his friends said Denna looking for her patron was an excuse to spend time with Kvothe, this story was an excuse to spend time with Denna and, in her drugged out state, expose some of her inner thoughts to Kvothe and the reader.

Second, I kind of saw it as the story starting to move along. It was the first real story behind one of the legends of Kvothe.

The university itself is very interesting, but the book seemed to be focusing less on what he was learning and more on Denna, money, music, etc. Again, well told, but I was itching for the story to move along. I was of hoping the book would do something similar to the Tarbean section and skip ahead a bit. Not 3 years, but a ways.
Old 04-11-11, 08:48 AM

A quick heads up. I too did a reread of the first in anticipation of the second and though I really enjoyed it at the time, ultimately wished I hadn't. I have been plodding through Wise Man's Fear which, to put it nicely, drags in several places. I can't help but think that some of the dragging early in the book wouldn't have seemed that way if I had some distance between reading the first and second. I know you've probably been looking forward to WMF for awhile and that you don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I strongly encourage you to at least read one or two books in between.
Old 04-11-11, 12:06 PM

Interesting thought. Maybe I'll mix one in between, if I can convince myself to wait.
Old 04-11-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

From my Amazon review (Rating 3 out of 5 stars):

Every time the story started to gain momentum, it slammed into a wall, March 31, 2011

Maybe the review title sounds like a pan, and I guess it is, but as much as I was absolutely enchanted by "The Name of the Wind", Rothfuss's followup "The Wise Man's Fear" left me tired and ultimately frustrated, and yet all the while I couldn't put it down. Many have spoken about how 1000 pages of story barely advanced anything in the grand scheme of things, and it's a sound argument. As pointed out by another review I read, WMF feels like Act 1: Part 2 rather then Act 2 of 3. It's a ***, maybe a *** 1/2 whereas the first one was a full *****.

Spoiler:

My main problem was that every time it felt like the story was advancing and evolving in an organic way, Rothfuss slammed the breaks on the plot and sent Kvothe off in another disappointing direction. The transition from the University to the Maer's palace was fine enough, if you don't mind several chapters worth of plot excised (the shipwreck, pirates, etc.) I can see why it was removed -- anything to move the story along, right? We needed to get Kvothe to Vintas. OK, cool. And everything in that section of the book, the palace intrigue, political maneuvering, Kvothe's cunning and observation really felt like it was pushing Kvothe towards a new chapter in his life. And it was. And just as things got interesting and were leading towards a culmination of several hundred pages worth of plotting... Rothfuss decides to send Kvothe out on an elongated, drawn-out bandit hunt.

I felt the air draining from the novel's lungs. So now we have to start a whole new plotline just when things were getting REALLY good in Vintas. The Bandit Hunt. Great. What was the overall purpose? To introduce Kvothe to Tempi AND to show a brief glimpse of a Chandrian (who makes a hasty exit to no last impact). OK well several seemingly endless pages later, everything's wrapped up and we can get right back to Vintas, right?

Nope. He sees Feleurian one night (out of the blue), runs off after her, and the plot is sidelined AGAIN for a hundred pages of Kvothe: SEX GOD! He can't lose his virginity in a human way that reflects his growth into manhood, he has to pursue and subdue an anotherworldly Fae sex goddess who teaches him some combination of the Kama Sutra and the Malaysian Pile Driver that makes him the master cocksman of the universe. Oh and he gets a cloak and some plot exposition from a powerful talking tree. Can we get this over with please?

So now he comes back and he's banging half the universe, but OK, **NOW** the plot can start getting interesting again? Nope, Tempi's in trouble for teaching the Ketan and Lethani, so now he's going to run off and defend him in Admere. For the love of God, we don't have THAT many pages left in the book and we're off on another tangent. But it's OK because now not only is Kvothe a 16-year-old Sex God, he ends up being the only barbarian admitted to the world's baddest martial arts order as well. But as long as he ends up learning something from it, right?

Wrong. He goes back to the University and he's back EXACTLY where he was before, still headstrong, still angry, only now this time he has money. And the book ends.

I haven't mentioned Denna at all until now. Because the fine, mysterious, intriguing character from the first book became an annoying, obnoxious, forgettable buzzkill in this book. Every time she showed up -- magically, wherever Kvothe seemed to be -- she was the literally equivalent of 17-car pileup in a deep fog. The dynamic of their relationship never changed, and the sum change in their relationship from book to book is nonexistent.

And yet, for all the problems I had with the plot -- and there were many -- it was the details, the universe, the sense of wonder, the dialog, the humor, Rothfuss's prosaic writing style... it was the little things that I loved most. Overall I didn't think too much of the book. Taken on its own, it was fine. It just didn't seem to add up to much in the end, and the narrative kept tripping over itself so much that it never was able to maintain any momentum after the first half of the book or so. Disappointing.
Old 04-11-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As an aside, I find Devi to be a much more fascinating and interesting character than Denna by FAR.
Old 04-11-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoilers for Wise Man's Fear...
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.