Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Worst Books of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts
Re: The Worst Books of All Time

Originally Posted by lizard
I confess that I was assigned Lord of the Flies and hated it. I don't get the love some have for the book. But it has been more than four decades since I've read it, so I don't really consider myself a "kid" anymore. Nevertheless, the hate for Lord of the Flies remains...
There's no surer way to murder a book than to turn it into a homework assignment.

I think that's one reason I hate Hemingway to this day.
Old 01-28-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 199 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There's no surer way to murder a book than to turn it into a homework assignment.
Which exactly explains the bulk of this list. Like a lot of things in life, a strong impression made at a young age can last a lifetime. It really depends upon the teacher. I had one nun in high school who, in an attempt to make her tests "Cliff Notes proof", would require everyone to memorize the stupidest details of books. Utterly ruined authors such as Hemingway, Henry James, James Joyce, Jane Austen, and others for me. Including Goldman's "Lord of the Flies".
Old 01-29-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not necessarily. There were many assigned books that I liked. Les Miserables (loved it), Huckleberry Finn and other Twain works (he became a favorite author for me), numerous Shakespeare plays (I became a big fan), The Odyssey, Gulliver's Travels, several Dickens books, Madame Bovary, The Birds, To Kill a Mockingbird (loved it), Two Years Before the Mast, and so forth. There were also others that I wouldn't really want to read on my own but I'm glad I was exposed to them, for example Gargantua and Pantagruel, Romance of the Rose, Moby Dick, The Republic, The Prince, some books by Freud, and the like. Then there were a few I hated or found boring beyond belief (pretty much anything having to do with Philosophy, which I despise)
I think that's one reason I hate Hemingway to this day.
For me it was Steinbeck. I had to read The Pearl in grade school and didn't like it. I've avoided Steinbeck to this day, to the dismay of my library director friend who considers him a favorite author.
Old 02-17-10, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Goldman's "Lord of the Flies".
William Golding. At least get his name right.
Old 02-18-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 806 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong
William Golding. At least get his name right.
His hackfest biography on John Lennon was beyond atrocious. No wonder they kicked his trombone-playing ass out of the band.
Old 02-18-10, 11:52 AM

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,329 Posts

If this list of "worst books" was written by someone with credentials, great. Instead, it's by a slew of anonymous people who hated assigned reading in high school, hated how their parents handled their initial exposure to religion, and who hated any book that "everyone" was reading. Basically, it's made by the Internet.
Old 02-18-10, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Book? Whats a book? Aren't they those detailed movie scripts they sell in stores like Borders?
Old 02-21-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything by Stephen King. After reading Cell I was tempted to drive up to Bangor and drop off the book and a burning bag of dog crap on his doorstep. Instead I crossed him of my "to read" list permanently. Too many disappointment, Big Steve.