Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Old 01-26-05, 12:50 PM
  #26  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 43,205
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Doesn't sound familiar to me, but if you have no luck here, you might want to try Usenet. Post this description in rec.arts.sf.written with "YASID" in the subject line and you'll probably get an answer within 24 hours.

YASID, by the way, is "Yet Another Story ID."
Old 01-26-05, 01:45 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Raccoon City, OR
Posts: 1,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
I once had to read this short story in english class and it was an awesome story but for the life of me can not find a copy of it again. I believe it is called "The Survivor". It is about the future and how countries go about solving their differences. Instead of WAR, each party would gather up their best 100 solders and put them in an arena filled with various terrain and sorts. The last side to have any survivors would be the winner obviously. What made this unique was that it was all televised with commentary. It was like John madden and Dick Vitall (spelling) giving a play by play with slow motion and every one that was killed fighting for their country would get a tape of their death mailed to their family as a souveneir. Anyway, the survivor would be granted imunity in their country and would be able to do anything they wanted as compenstion for their term. Great story and I would love to find out the auther or where I might find this story again. Any help would be wonderful!!!
It sounds like "THE SURVIVOR" by Walter F. Moudy. I think you can find it in several different compilations; just do a search at abebooks.

(and stop following me here from the VG forum!)

Old 01-27-05, 12:52 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess no one else read this one
Old 01-27-05, 06:36 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: rochester, NY
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheapskate
It sounds like "THE SURVIVOR" by Walter F. Moudy. I think you can find it in several different compilations; just do a search at abebooks.

(and stop following me here from the VG forum!)

Thank you for the tip on the story.

And I thought you followed me! Actually that post about the otters in the VG forum made me come over here.
Old 03-24-05, 10:39 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a bump
Old 03-26-05, 03:59 AM
  #31  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it fan fiction? Where online was it published? Was it a Star Wars story or simply a story where the [alternative] Star Wars mileu was mentioned in passing?
Old 05-20-05, 10:13 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it really has nothing to do with star wars other than the can of film containing the alternate ending. it was printed out and passed on to me in manuscript form, so i have no idea who online had it.
Old 09-21-05, 11:58 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no luck
Old 05-04-08, 11:01 PM
  #34  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you name this book/story?

My uncle told me about it -- It was probably published in the late 1950s or early 1960s, possibly in a pulp magazine. The story is about a retired USAF officer who is taken aboard an automated ship (no crew, just an android who looks like a human male) -- this android is referred to as the Ever-Perfect Lieutenant (EPL). Towards the end of the book, the EPL is destroyed and the relief pilot, "The Emergency Mate" shows up.

This may be a Gordon Dickson story.

Last edited by therain93; 05-04-08 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-08, 04:33 AM
  #35  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh, you've been seeking this one out a long time!

Although I don't have the answer, I wonder whether a look through some Dickson anthologies might yield fruit....

.... of course this presupposes that the particular story you seek was anthologised.

Alternatively, there is a list of his short work here which also shows where the various tales have been collected. I do not know if it is complete. Come to think of it, there is a list that may be more definitive here.
Old 05-13-08, 09:35 AM
  #36  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
Gosh, you've been seeking this one out a long time!

Although I don't have the answer, I wonder whether a look through some Dickson anthologies might yield fruit....

.... of course this presupposes that the particular story you seek was anthologised.

Alternatively, there is a list of his short work here which also shows where the various tales have been collected. I do not know if it is complete. Come to think of it, there is a list that may be more definitive here.
Actually, that guy wasn't me -- I had been looking longer than that and was hoping someone would respond. I had been looking at some of his anthologies with no success but appreciate the links! ( ' :
Old 07-28-09, 11:09 AM
  #37  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Originally Posted by therain93
Actually, that guy wasn't me -- I had been looking longer than that and was hoping someone would respond. I had been looking at some of his anthologies with no success but appreciate the links! ( ' :
This is a very late answer, but I'll post it anyways: The novel is called Across Time.

The novel was published several times. The first was in 1958 as an Ace Double

D-286 SF Robert Silverberg Invaders From Earth / Donald A. Wollheim (as David Grinnell) Across Time (1958)

Another edition, as a single, was Ace Books G-728

I bought D-286 when I was fifteen and may still have it in my small collection of Ace Doubles. There are a number of places on the net where both those editions are available at low prices.
Old 12-29-09, 08:27 AM
  #38  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Originally Posted by Brianmgr
This is a very late answer, but I'll post it anyways: The novel is called Across Time.

The novel was published several times. The first was in 1958 as an Ace Double

D-286 SF Robert Silverberg Invaders From Earth / Donald A. Wollheim (as David Grinnell) Across Time (1958)

Another edition, as a single, was Ace Books G-728

I bought D-286 when I was fifteen and may still have it in my small collection of Ace Doubles. There are a number of places on the net where both those editions are available at low prices.
Certiainly not a very late answer -- thanks very much, I appreciate it and will try hunting it down! ( ' :
Old 10-29-10, 08:33 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for the name of an SF story

In the story, after a (presumably human-caused) disaster human "sleepers" find themselves awakened long after most humans are gone. Humanity might have had a chance if the lone female sleeper had agreed to have children, but she refuses and runs off and is presumably killed (or worse) by one of the roving bands of feral humans, who apparently cannot speak because there is nobody to teach them. Humanity effectively ends with the male sleepers being unable to breed. Humanity eventually evolves away its intelligence, which is shown in the story through depictions of varying epochs of humanity's descendants across deep time, in the vein of Last and First Men (but in reverse).
Old 09-28-12, 01:46 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 19,994
Received 1,073 Likes on 581 Posts
I could have sworn it was by Wyndham, possibly Wollheim, but I can't find it.

I remember reading it in the 70's. Humans went on a trip around the solar system, visiting every planet, and finding intelligent life everywhere they went. The reason for the trip had something to do with activities of "bad guy" aliens who were, I think, collecting specimens of every intelligent species and keeping them in suspended animation in glass cylinders.

One of the alien species, that only makes a cameo, has something like a swarm of bees in its chest. Another cameo is made by an alien that is partly steel armor, and partly soft white flesh. This is during the last battle, when the Humans set all the captives free, and everyone takes on the bad guys.

Anyone know what this is? It's driving me nuts.

The Neptunians were sheets of vibrating ice crystals.
Old 09-30-12, 02:21 PM
  #41  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
I have one. The setting is the near-future or present and electricity has ceased to exist. I seem to recall mountains on the blue/black paperback cover.
There was a UK trilogy by Peter Dickinson: The Weathermonger (1968), Heartsease (1969) and The Devil's Children (1970). Per a wiki entry relating to the BBC tv series it
"posits a Britain where a sudden enveloping noise emanating from all machinery and technology causes the population to destroy them. The resulting upheaval displaces many people and reverts society back to a pre-industrial age where there is a deep suspicion of anyone who may be harbouring machinery. Even the words for technology are taboo. The remnants of modern technology that escape destruction (such as electricity pylons) produce a physical and sometimes violent repulsion among those left in Britain."
Old 09-30-12, 05:38 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 19,994
Received 1,073 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Never mind, now I'll never know...
Old 10-01-12, 02:58 AM
  #43  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I could have sworn it was by Wyndham, possibly Wollheim, but I can't find it.

I remember reading it in the 70's. Humans went on a trip around the solar system, visiting every planet, and finding intelligent life everywhere they went. The reason for the trip had something to do with activities of "bad guy" aliens who were, I think, collecting specimens of every intelligent species and keeping them in suspended animation in glass cylinders.

One of the alien species, that only makes a cameo, has something like a swarm of bees in its chest. Another cameo is made by an alien that is partly steel armor, and partly soft white flesh. This is during the last battle, when the Humans set all the captives free, and everyone takes on the bad guys.

Anyone know what this is? It's driving me nuts.

The Neptunians were sheets of vibrating ice crystals.
I've already done a quick search for this but didn't find anything. However, it may be that the resource mentioned higher up the thread by Tasha1 would pay dividends or, alternatively, a "STORY ID" request in the newsgroup rec.arts.sf.written although I've not dabbled in Usenet for quite some time so am not sure how lively it now is. Finally, there are some forums on the SF Site, including this one, but at first glance they don't seem especially well-used.

<small>[I know some people and I'll keep digging!]</small>
Old 10-03-12, 04:50 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 19,994
Received 1,073 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Aha! I was conflating two different stories. Secret of the Ninth Planet by Wollheim, and Spacehounds of the IPC by Smith.
Old 10-03-12, 07:41 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
danwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 2,234
Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

Mrs Danger - I assume that by now you have discovered that both of these are old enough so that they are in the public domain and that there are free Kindle Editions.
Thanks for the ideas for book reading.
Old 10-05-12, 06:14 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 19,994
Received 1,073 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

No have Kindle. Read from paper. Sometimes listen to Librivox.
Old 10-08-12, 12:37 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

I seem to remember a sci-fi story in which the real enemy was mankind's hubris in regards to technology. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Old 10-08-12, 08:42 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 30,591
Received 1,449 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Help identify this science fiction story / novel [various merged]

An obvious guess is Asimov, The Gods Themselves.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.