Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Old 03-30-09, 10:44 AM
  #251  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Maumelle, AR
Posts: 957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by drmoze View Post
Sorry, AFAIK you'll need a Sony Reader to take advantage of free online borrowing from electronic libraries. I don't think the Kindle handles the formats required (secure Adobe or Mobipocket). So, no trips to the library with the Kindle, but no access to online libraries either! :P
Is this because the Kindle doesn't support PDF Digital Edition books? I imagine this was a definite design choice. Amazon produced the books so people would buy books, not check them out at a library.
jack999 is offline  
Old 03-30-09, 11:55 AM
  #252  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
Is this because the Kindle doesn't support PDF Digital Edition books? I imagine this was a definite design choice. Amazon produced the books so people would buy books, not check them out at a library.
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.

As to Kindle don't do PDFs, it's true, but you can convert the PDFs to PRC which can be read in the Kindle. However, i don't know if you can do that with the library's PDFs. Even if you can, it must be some reference or old stuff, which you can probably get them free anyway. I don't think you can check out ebooks from the New York Times bestsellers... With the limited physical books, you certainly have to wait for your turn. But with the ebook thingy, i don't know how will that play out... If it's true, you don't need to buy the hot sellers anymore Because with the Kindle, you can check out virtually anywhere and almost anytime (as long as the library's server is working?).
Ocelot is offline  
Old 03-31-09, 09:29 AM
  #253  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Maumelle, AR
Posts: 957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.

As to Kindle don't do PDFs, it's true, but you can convert the PDFs to PRC which can be read in the Kindle. However, i don't know if you can do that with the library's PDFs. Even if you can, it must be some reference or old stuff, which you can probably get them free anyway. I don't think you can check out ebooks from the New York Times bestsellers... With the limited physical books, you certainly have to wait for your turn. But with the ebook thingy, i don't know how will that play out... If it's true, you don't need to buy the hot sellers anymore Because with the Kindle, you can check out virtually anywhere and almost anytime (as long as the library's server is working?).
I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?
jack999 is offline  
Old 03-31-09, 11:59 AM
  #254  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?
It's more of a "maybe." It depends on the format your library uses for the electronic books, and how much effort you want to put into getting those books on your Kindle. I think the New York Library system uses a compatible format, for example.

If you really want to put library books on your Kindle, there are instructions, probably at Mobile Read but if not, you should be able to find them through Google.

Personally, I've found that I'm willing to just pay for the ease of buying books from the Kindle store, and the knowledge that they will "just work" when I'm ready to read them.
meglet is offline  
Old 03-31-09, 03:58 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by drmoze View Post
Sorry, AFAIK you'll need a Sony Reader to take advantage of free online borrowing from electronic libraries. I don't think the Kindle handles the formats required (secure Adobe or Mobipocket). So, no trips to the library with the Kindle, but no access to online libraries either! :P
Anyone know if there is a list of Canadian libraries that has online borrowing from electronic libraries? I'd love to try it out.
movieking is offline  
Old 03-31-09, 05:23 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,194
Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.
I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 04-01-09, 08:35 AM
  #257  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Maumelle, AR
Posts: 957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.
This is like buying an espresso machine at Starbucks only to find it will only work with Starbucks coffee. I avoid situations like that.
jack999 is offline  
Old 04-02-09, 02:38 PM
  #258  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.

yes, could, not CAN, thanks for the fix Jay G. Wishful thinking on my part...
Ocelot is offline  
Old 04-02-09, 02:44 PM
  #259  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,329
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.
You can read them, but you need the PID for your Kindle, which you can get with a python script. Instructions used to be found on mobileread, but for now Amazon lamely made them take them down (right after the IPhone ap became available, so it's probably related to that).
Ginwen is offline  
Old 04-02-09, 02:45 PM
  #260  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
This is like buying an espresso machine at Starbucks only to find it will only work with Starbucks coffee. I avoid situations like that.
Yes, it does sound like that for the Kindle at the moment. And, actually, i have a feeling that it's gonna stay that way for the Kindle. I mean, if the Kindle allows you checking out public library books, it's a revenue killer... Just imagine you can just checkout the popular new releases via Whispernet, that defeat the purpose of having the Kindle library for sale. Now, what i want to see is, can we perhaps rent the Kindle library books? It's like the espresso machine that you bought at Starbucks. It still only works at Starbucks, but you only pay a fraction of the cost for a cup of espresso, the difference is that if you don't drink it in a given period of time, it automatically empties itself

p.s. if you keep renewing the rental and the total fee is greater than the book's price, you get to keep it for a small fee. Sounds pretty interesting yes?

Last edited by Ocelot; 04-02-09 at 02:51 PM.
Ocelot is offline  
Old 04-02-09, 02:58 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,329
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
Yes, it does sound like that for the Kindle at the moment. And, actually, i have a feeling that it's gonna stay that way for the Kindle. I mean, if the Kindle allows you checking out public library books, it's a revenue killer... Just imagine you can just checkout the popular new releases via Whispernet, that defeat the purpose of having the Kindle library for sale. Now, what i want to see is, can we perhaps rent the Kindle library books? It's like the espresso machine that you bought at Starbucks. It still only works at Starbucks, but you only pay a fraction of the cost for a cup of espresso, the difference is that if you don't drink it in a given period of time, it automatically empties itself
If they ever want to be more than a nitch, I think they'll have to get over that. It's dumb anyway, I have about 10 library books on my Kindle, and I've bought about 15 books since I got it, so they're still getting their money from me. Also, the library has to buy each copy of the book they check out, I've had to put a hold on an ebook because the library only had 3 copies and 7 people wanted it (and since Amazon owns Mobi, they're getting money for all those library copies, and the more they "circulate", the more copies libraries are going to purchase, so more money for Amazon).
Ginwen is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 10:04 AM
  #262  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Learning some new everyday Ginwen, thanks for the info... So, it does seem that Amazon could profit from the public library angle! As of now, i only paid $4 on one Kindle book. Manga and backlogs are keeping me busy I refuse to pay anything over $5... After all, you can't really share, sell or even donate (as in donate to the library). By the time i catch up my readings, i think there will be some interesting new developments.
Ocelot is offline  
Old 04-04-09, 08:29 AM
  #263  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Maumelle, AR
Posts: 957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
LAs of now, i only paid $4 on one Kindle book. Manga and backlogs are keeping me busy I refuse to pay anything over $5...
I thought all the Kindle books were at least 9 bucks?
jack999 is offline  
Old 04-04-09, 10:45 AM
  #264  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,329
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
I thought all the Kindle books were at least 9 bucks?
Nope. A lot of newly released books are 9.99, and a few are a bit more. But most are less. Most of mine that aren't free have been around $4 - $7.
Ginwen is offline  
Old 04-15-09, 03:15 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
RichardW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 2,553
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

I got my Kindle a week and a half ago and love it. I'm half-way through my second book on it and can't see myself going back to regular books. It's nice not having to carry a 600 page book around anymore.
RichardW is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:25 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
RichardW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 2,553
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

From Amazon's Kindle blog:

You've been asking, and we're enormously pleased to announce that J.R.R. Tolkien is now available on Kindle. You can now download The Children of Hurin, The Fellowship of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Return of the King, and The Two Towers.

We'd blog more about this, but let's face it, you just want the Tolkien. Happy hobbiting.

RichardW is offline  
Old 04-26-09, 10:51 AM
  #267  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,557
Received 882 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Did a quick skim through this thread, and didn't see anything conclusive, what's the best bookreader for an iPod, non-touch, non phone model. Just something for old public domain stuff (Jules Verne, HG Wells, etc)?

thanks
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-26-09, 11:18 AM
  #268  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Stanza. It's a great little app and there's a ton of free stuff available.
Crizzar is offline  
Old 04-26-09, 01:25 PM
  #269  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,529
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

I read the intro of See No Evil on my iPhone with the kindle. It was better than I expected. I would not mind having a full size kindle but the small screen was not bad.
Michael T Hudson is offline  
Old 04-26-09, 02:45 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,557
Received 882 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Crizzar View Post
Stanza. It's a great little app and there's a ton of free stuff available.
Looks like it's for the iPhone and iPod touch. I only have a 3rd Gen nano.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-26-09, 06:57 PM
  #271  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,857
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Crizzar View Post
Stanza. It's a great little app and there's a ton of free stuff available.
It also supports the ereader.com and fictionwise.com store. Since they were bought out by Barnes and Noble they have had several big releases including the Lord of the Rings books.
darkside is offline  
Old 04-27-09, 11:53 PM
  #272  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 732
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Apparently Amazon just bought the company that created the Stanza app.

http://www.lexcycle.com/lexcycle_acquired_by_amazon
pelenor is offline  
Old 04-28-09, 11:11 AM
  #273  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
Apparently Amazon just bought the company that created the Stanza app.

http://www.lexcycle.com/lexcycle_acquired_by_amazon
Damn! I was hoping Apple would gobble them up and offer e-books via itunes. There goes any hopes of standardized pricing for e-books...
seisui is offline  
Old 04-28-09, 04:56 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,799
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

BTW you CAN use your library's DRM mobi books on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. Search "Kindlefix python."
GatorDeb is online now  
Old 04-30-09, 10:58 AM
  #275  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Interesting... the Python can be handy, thanks for the info GatorDeb.

For the time being, Alchemist is free for the Kindle, so get it while it's hot.
Ocelot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.