Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Ben Mezrich - Rigged

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ben Mezrich - Rigged

Has anyone read Ben Mezrich's new book "Rigged?" It follows along the lines of his other books (Bringing Down the House, Ugly Americans)...small time Ivy League kid gets involved in (insert potentially lucrative industry) and becomes richer/more famous than he could ever dream. This one is about a guy who starts working in the New York Mercantile Exchange, where trading crude oil futures is the big thing, and ends up "changing the world of oil, from Wall Street to Dubai" (book cover quote).

While I found it to be a fun read, I didn't find it to be as suspenseful or overall gripping as his other books (despite having read it in under two days) and I also didn't come away feeling that the overall plot of the book was as "revolutionary" as Mezrich wanted us to believe.

I'd like to know if others are reading before going into more detail. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-07, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard about this through his interview on the Jim Rome program the other day and added it to my "to be read" pile. Thanks for quick review, it sounded interesting from the little I know about it. Would you say his other books are worth checking out? The MIT gamblers one looks interesting.
Old 10-28-07, 09:09 AM

Absolutely. Bringing Down the House and Ugly Americans were two of the most entertaining books I've ever read. As quickly as I got through Rigged, the other two books were even better page-turners.

BDTH has already been turned into a movie called "21" which I believe is set to come out in March. Kevin Spacey is in one of the leading roles. So it's probably a good idea to give it a read before then.
Old 06-29-09, 10:21 AM

Re: Ben Mezrich - Rigged

I agree, Rigged was a little tougher to get through and a little anti climatic.
The book started out great, but finished a little slow.
Here is a good list of Mezrich books if anyone is interested.
fox-locks.com/content/five-ben-mezrich-books-read-you-die