Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else read Dan Simmons' "The Terror"?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry - I just couldn't take it anymore. What does it say about the state of literature in this country, and the world, when Book Talk is plastered with nothing but Harry F-ing Potter, another in a series of hack novels filled with all of the oldest cliches in fantasy?

Anyone else read Simmons' The Terror? Best book I've read in awhile. Fascinating stuff, and I never thought Arctic exploration was remotely interesting before. Someone throw me a lifeline here.
Old 07-21-07, 03:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's all try to keep this on topic and off HP in spite of the "bait" in Post One....

Paging TimeandTide!
Old 07-23-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Sorry - I just couldn't take it anymore. What does it say about the state of literature in this country, and the world, when Book Talk is plastered with nothing but Harry F-ing Potter, another in a series of hack novels filled with all of the oldest cliches in fantasy?

Anyone else read Simmons' The Terror? Best book I've read in awhile. Fascinating stuff, and I never thought Arctic exploration was remotely interesting before. Someone throw me a lifeline here.
waiting for the paperback..
and ditto on the HP hype..im so sick of my daily newspaper being plastered with articles about that fucking book
Old 07-23-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to finish one other book, but i intend on purchasing this soon! Can't wait
Old 07-23-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
This book is very good when detailing the real issues the men have to deal with, the food, the temperatures, the disease. Simmons does an excellent job of describing this and it really comes across as terrifying.

However,
Spoiler:
The monster starts out good, by the ending it just seemed to turn too silly. I just think it would have been a better book if it had just been an unexplainable creature and leave out all the Eskimo mumbo jumbo. Using their windpipes to play music?

Editing posts is accomplished by clicking the edit button. If you cannot see the button maybe you have something installed that is blocking it. In which case I would suggest that you look through the thread in Feedback discussing this very point and suggesting solutions. [Benedict]

Last edited by benedict; 07-23-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-23-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Move along...nothing to see here.

Last edited by Wolf359; 07-23-07 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 11:57 AM

Keeping this vague - Wolf, I agree somewhat with your criticism. It didn't live up (a similar criticism I had to the same issue in Simmons' Summer of Night, also a fantastic read). But that wart aside, I still thought it was a fantastic piece of writing. And it completely lacked a "wizard school."
Old 07-23-07, 01:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too am waiting for the paperback.
Old 08-02-07, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I'll probably pick this up.

I kind of tuned out Simmons when he started writing those crime novels, and his Ilium/Olympos books were disappointing as well. (I'd also add that Endymion/Rise of Endymion were disappointing compared to the original Hyperion Cantos.)

Regarding those disappointed with the Terror because of the spoiler above, I think that Simmons, being rooted in the rationalism of science, has some degree of difficulty dealing with the supernatural. It's like he, himself, doesn't believe in these things and feels the need to overexplain and/or rationalize supernatural elements in his work.
Old 08-02-07, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have it in my to read pile.

Just have to finish Deathly Hallows first .

Last edited by boredsilly; 08-02-07 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-05-07, 08:30 PM
Cool New Member

One of the best reads of the year so far

I thought this book would take me a long time to finish but it was too good to put down so I got though it pretty quickly. Simmons pulls you into the experiences of these men in this almost other-worldly setting. I haven't read any of his science fiction but I may have to give it a try.
Old 08-06-07, 12:39 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I found it to be a thoroughly believable tale -- well, besides the supernatural mumbo jumbo -- about an Arctic expedition gone wrong. It's a great book to read in the middle of winter.
Old 08-07-07, 11:15 PM

I gave this to my dad as a gift fully expecting Pops to finish and hand it over to me. Problem is he hasn't got around to reading it yet despite my weekly urging.

I really hate it when I give people gifts that I really want and they don't hurry up and kick it down to me.