Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
There were hundreds of people fighting, thousands of curses flying around, giants, huge spiders, explosions, crumbling walls, etc. It would be silly to think that Harry could personally witness each and every death. It is only natural that he would find out about some deaths long after they happen.

And given what was still left to be done, he couldn't just sit there and mourn.
Old 07-23-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Matto1020
The problem with the epilogue is that it is very unneeded.

You don't need to be told Ginny and Harry will probably get together...thats been established already.

You don't need to know that Ron and Hermoine are getting together...thats established during their "moment" at Hogwarts.

Malfoy gets off waay to easy with the epilogue.

How original...let name our kids after my parents and my favorite professor...very cliched.
See, though I didn't "need" it, it was nice to confirm that everything that should happen, did happen.

And as to the Malfoy thing - By the end of the book, it was pretty clear that Malfoy was knew he was in way over his head and recognized that Harry did save his life on more than one occasion. It makes sense that 19 years later they've come to, if not a friendship, then at least an understanding between the two of them. If they were still feuding into the future, I'd lose a lot of respect for Harry.
Old 07-23-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
There were hundreds of people fighting, thousands of curses flying around, giants, huge spiders, explosions, crumbling walls, etc. It would be silly to think that Harry could personally witness each and every death. It is only natural that he would find out about some deaths long after they happen.

And given what was still left to be done, he couldn't just sit there and mourn.
Exactly - except for the opening chapter of a few of the books, Harry is always present. There is no way he would see every death, and it's very typical of a "war story" for the hero to find out about the friends that died after the battle is over.

I had zero problems with this treatment.
Old 07-23-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked how a couple were either redeemed, saw the error of their ways, or, realized that they were not capable of the things that they thought they were.
Old 07-23-07, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the epilogue is that it is very unneeded.

Count me among the readers who liked the epilogue. As for it being unneeded I could not disagree more. It shows Harry's final feelings toward Snape. That for me is very much needed.
Old 07-23-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ending WAS needed. How many high school relationships don't result in marriage? One could guess but never know for sure...
Old 07-23-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While Im here I have a question about the Maurader's Map. How can EVERY person in the school be listed on it? It would be so cramped you could never read the names..especially with them all moving.
Old 07-23-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by yashan
Do we know who these three characters (two who died and the one who lived) are?
I would bet:
Spoiler:
Lupin and Tonks were the last minute kills and Hagrid (maybe Malfoy) was the last minute save

It think she was teasing people a bit having
Spoiler:
Hagrid have so many near-death experiences because a lot of people have always kind of expected that he'd bite it.
Old 07-23-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Man a lot of hate on the epilogue.

I really REALLY liked it. Loved seeing the story "continued" albeit briefly. And I loved knowing for sure that everything worked out in the end for everyone.

Just a really touching way to end it, IMHO.
Agree. In fact, I wish there had been a bit more. I wonder what jobs they all have... Harry clearly didn't end up where I thought he would.
Old 07-23-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by namrufmot
While Im here I have a question about the Maurader's Map. How can EVERY person in the school be listed on it? It would be so cramped you could never read the names..especially with them all moving.
I don't know...maybe you can seperate names. Thinking of the Marauder's Map though...I think it was kind of selfish for Harry to keep that. I mean all he really used it for was to stare at Ginny's name. Shouldn't he have given it to Ginny to help her, Neville and Luna. He could have gotten it back from Neville when he needed it.
Old 07-23-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have to assume that Harry ended up an Auror...

And Ron mostly likely has some blue-collar job at the Ministry...
Old 07-23-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Can anyone explain why Voldemort needed to fly to get places in this book instead of just apparating?

Thats the only thing that kinda bugged me....that and the very unneeded epilogue.
You can't just apparate anywhere. I'm guessing you can go as far as any other place in the British Isles but once it's very far, you need to get closer to it. It's not long distance, I take it.

I thought the epilogue was necessarry. I liked the content but it was written very poorly, as if Rowling jotted it down on the way to her editor's office.

Am I the only one that thinks Peter Jackson should do this one? Or even Michael Bay...

Spoiler:

Can't you see the camera, on ground level, slowly rise while circling Harry, who stands up with both hands, the sun rising behind him in the final battle?

I thought the book was very good. I read 100 pages last night, finished the rest today.

My favorite part might be when

Spoiler:

Mrs. Weasley calls Bellatrix a BITCH and kills her

I also thought it was telling that Petunia (Harry's aunt)

Spoiler:
wanted to join Hogwart's, but couldn't.
Old 07-23-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Just completely excellent. I picked it up Friday at midnight, read two chapters, then went to bed. Read the rest from 10 to 6 (roughly) on Saturday.'

I think this one's probably my favorite of the series. I loved pretty much everything, and thought everything got wrapped up nicely.

Spoiler:
I did think it a bit much that practically every member of the Order of the Phoenix got killed by the end of the book.

I liked the epilogue and was happy to see that glimpse into the future.
Old 07-23-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander
Spoiler:
I did think it a bit much that practically every member of the Order of the Phoenix got killed by the end of the book.
Spoiler:
It was nowhere near that many. Arthur, Molly, Bill, Charlie, George, Mundungus, Kingsley, Ron, Harry, Hermoine, Hagrid, McGonagall, Fleur, and a bunch of minor characters (Doge, Diggle, Figg, Sturgis, etc) all survived. Only seven members died during the series.
Old 07-23-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished it this morning. Really enjoyed it. I seriously don't envy whoever has to translate this to the big screen. Even though there are slow parts narratively, there is much less fat to trim compared to the previous books.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My questions:
Spoiler:

1) Given the ministry attacks on muggleborns, how was Colin Creevey at Hogwarts during the final battle? He wouldn't have been allowed in school during the year so unless he learned how to illegally apparate on his own (remember he's a 6th year so even if he was 17 he wouldn't have had the apparation classes at Hogwarts) and showed up like all the other kids in the RoR then he shouldn't have been there at all.

2) How was Snape in the headmaster's office discussing things with Dumbledore's portrait before the ministry fell? Dumbledore gives him the idea for the polyjuice Harrys, but at that point Snape was still a wanted man. He wouldn't have been allowed in the school.
Spoiler:
1. Colin was a member of the D.A. So even if he wasn't at the school he could have received the signal and come. It seems a lot of the D.A. members were poised to respond when Harry returned.

2. That occurred over the summer, when there were no students at Hogwarts and presumably staffing and security were low. Since Dumbledore's death did not exactly go as planned it seems Snape sneaked into the office to receive further instructions.

Last edited by wmansir; 07-23-07 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought that the NY Times review, posted by al_bundy in post 37, captured Book 7 and the series quite well.

Book 7 was an outstanding end to the series IMHO. Through more than 700 pages it didn't let up; the action was relentless and the continued character development was welcome. Unlike some above I also enjoyed the Epilogue.

Well worth the wait!

Originally Posted by The Bus
My favorite part might be when

Spoiler:

Mrs. Weasley calls Bellatrix a BITCH and kills her

I also thought it was telling that Petunia (Harry's aunt)

Spoiler:
wanted to join Hogwart's, but couldn't.
Yes, I enjoyed seeing
Spoiler:
Mrs. Weasley take charge and show her stuff. Better than having Harry, or even Ron and Hermione, deal with Bellatrix.

And that bit about Petunia finally explains her profound resentment against the wizarding world. Nice touch.

Although it was predictable by this time in the series, I was pleased that Harry and Ginny finally got together. I had been rooting for Ginny since The Chamber of Secrets. Like Hermione, she had spunk.
Old 07-23-07, 04:12 PM
Banned

I finished it this afternoon and have mixed feelings. As someone else mentioned, I felt that some things were rushed and certainly not given the thought time by JK they should have been alotted. My issues were:

Spoiler:
The biggest letdown by far was how Voldemort was killed off in just one measly paragraph. We spent 7 books dreading this man and he goes in just a few sentences. The whole way it was handled was very clumsy. It was unbelievable to me and disappointing. Harry just appears dead and the man doesn't even go to confirm anything. He doesn't even look at him, get near him, and never notices the umpteen times Harry is opening his eyes and looking around. Then he trusts the whole thing to of all people the bumbling Malfoys who had botched things up before. No way. And he lets Harry's good friend cradle and carry the body instead of placing it in a state of humiliation like the rest of his victims. There were so many problems with it it could take paragraphs just to point them all out. At best, it was farcical. And seeing as to how the whole series was based on this plotline, it was handled very carelessly by JK who I felt got caught up in the semantics of everything else (like trying to find a paragraph for everything single character Harry ever had a run-in with in every book) and totally blew off the main premise of the entire series.

Next, we have the same problem as I have seen in all of the books. Harry never really does anything amazing. Everything that happens seem by luck. This book did not fail to prove the point. Gringott's and Hogsmeade were the worst examples. When JK can't think of a way out, just have something or someone suddenly appear to help to take them all away to safety. It was so predictable and happened so many times that frankly, it got old for me.

This book still left alot of loose ends open. We never found out what Harry's parents did and unlike JK stated, I guess it didn't matter to the plot line. We don't really know what became of alot of folks, and for the main ones, all we know if that they were able to have kids. For me, it wasn't much better than the Sopranos. What does it mean to the reader to know that Harry married Ginny and had 3 kids? That doesn't tell them much. Why include it?

There were a few redeeming qualities (the whole episode with Snape was the only part of the book that really affected me) but overall, I did feel somewhat letdown and had to remind myself that it was just a children's book. I am certainly glad that this series is over but sad because it could have been done somewhat better. I am amazed at the critics who are declaring this a "literary classic". I guess it doesn't take much these days.

Last edited by shifrbv; 07-23-07 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One thing about the epilogue ....

Spoiler:
Why would Teddy Lupin be going to Hogwarts? Wouldn't he have graduated by then (being 19 years old)?
Old 07-23-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by silentbob007
One thing about the epilogue ....

Spoiler:
Why would Teddy Lupin be going to Hogwarts? Wouldn't he have graduated by then (being 19 years old)?
Spoiler:
He wasn't going to Hogwarts, he was seeing Victoire off, you can guess that she is like 16 or so.
Old 07-23-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shifrbv
I finished it this afternoon and have mixed feelings. As someone else mentioned, I felt that some things were rushed and certainly not given the thought time by JK they should have been alotted. My issues were:

Spoiler:
The biggest letdown by far was how Voldemort was killed off in just one measly paragraph. We spent 7 books dreading this man and he goes in just a few sentences. The whole way it was handled was very clumsy. It was unbelievable to me and disappointing.
Spoiler:
Why would you expect a huge long drawn-out duel between Harry and Voldemort? How could Harry possibly win something like that against Voldemort? He's certainly not going to be able to cast spells faster than Voldemort or know more spells than Voldemort. We're talking about a wizard who can't even apparate or do non-verbal spells consistently yet.
Old 07-23-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
Spoiler:
Although it was predictable by this time in the series, I was pleased that Harry and Ginny finally got together. I had been rooting for Ginny since The Chamber of Secrets. Like Hermione, she had spunk.
I was hoping for Luna myself. JK had a lot of red herrings with her.
Old 07-23-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Next, we have the same problem as I have seen in all of the books. Harry never really does anything amazing. Everything that happens seem by luck.
It's like Harry says though, "stuff like that always sounds cooler than it really was." It was always his strength of character (and luck) that got him through things, and I didn't really expect it to be any different this time.
Spoiler:
It was the way he inspired people to do things for him and his willingness to sacrifice himself for them that did the trick.

About the epilogue:

I didn't so much dislike it as much as I expected more from it, in terms of both length and content.
Old 07-23-07, 06:37 PM
Cool New Member

Spoiler:
For me, it was the fact that he bravely sought out Voldemort, knowing he had to die. I didn't really care that he wasn't some amazing wizard.
Old 07-23-07, 06:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
You can't just apparate anywhere. I'm guessing you can go as far as any other place in the British Isles but once it's very far, you need to get closer to it. It's not long distance, I take it.
Harry mentioned when Voldemort was on his way to the school after he left the cave where the locket was supposed to be that Voldemort needed to be in range to apparate.

I just finished this afternnon and enjoyed it.
Old 07-23-07, 07:10 PM

Spoiler:
Everything that happens seem by luck. This book did not fail to prove the point. Gringott's and Hogsmeade were the worst examples. When JK can't think of a way out, just have something or someone suddenly appear to help to take them all away to safety.
While I don't dispute that a lot of things happen by coincidence/luck, I don't think those are particularly good examples.

Spoiler:
They got out of Gringotts by taking advantage of the dragon, which was already there ostensibly as an obstacle. It didn't just appear out of nowhere. As for Hogsmeade, it's been foreshadowed for most of the series that the barman was Aberforth Dumbledore, and it's entirely plausible that he would help them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.