Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One final tour of Harry Potter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Onto Year 3 today. Finished the first two in 5 or 6 days (between 100 to 200 pages/day). Year 4 is as long as the first two put together, so I suppose I'll end up having to delay reading book 7. I also would like to finish 5 before seeing the film.

ADDED on EDIT: And the font size is significantly smaller from Book 3 on...
-ringding-

Last edited by DrRingDing; 07-09-07 at 04:13 AM. Reason: grammar oopsies
Old 07-09-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Order of the Phoenix is a better book than what I remembered. It's fun to read the books backwards and see how things are set up for later books. I started last night and am through about 300 pages. Hopefully I can finish it this week.
Old 07-10-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
I started rereading all of them on saturday, knocked out the first two sat night and sunday and realized with work i would only get through 4 probably by the time the last came out. So i decided to just read Half Blood Prince again since ive only read it once to get me prepared.
Old 07-11-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Finished Order of the Phoenix this morning. I don't think I'll keep going backwards and read Goblet of Fire.
Old 07-11-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
for those of you getting the 7th book right away, are you going to go "media-free" the first weekend?

I'm going to be afraid to open my yahoo home page, read any forum, and even watch the news...
Old 07-11-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I'll be on media boycott (including DVDTalk) until I've read it. Hell, I won't even go to ESPN.com. HP is so pervasive that I wouldn't be surprised to finding a freaking spoiler mixed in with some sports article.
Old 07-11-07, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll just read it that day so there's not really any need to boycott anything...It shouldn't take more than an afternoon to read anyways.
Old 07-14-07, 07:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm re-reading Half Blood Prince now, and shit, why does J.K. Rowling choose one word per book and just litter that volume with that one word? Every single character in Half-Blood Prince "beams" at one another all the way through. You'd think by the sixth book in the series Rowling would have picked up some writing tips.

I think Rowling is a good storyteller but not a talented writer. I get drawn into the world of Harry Potter, and am interested in the general plot, but every few pages I find something that's just so awkwardly written that it takes me right out of it. Every book is like this, although Goblet of Fire was probably the strongest read in this regard.
Old 07-14-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
One week!

Till Book 7....I ama amzed at how excited I am to read the final book in the series. I have also managed to stay spoiler free....cannot wait.
Old 07-18-07, 01:13 AM

I started reading the whole series again a month or two ago, and just finished Half Blood Prince tonight. I think the books get stronger with each volume, and remember liking Order of the Phoenix a LOT more the 2nd time around.

I will be avoiding the media as much as possible until I finish Book 7. I do NOT want to know what happens until I read it myself (which is why I'm also going to read it as quickly as possible!)
Old 07-18-07, 08:16 AM

I'm rereading book 6 to get ready for book 7. I'm already 2/3 the way through the book. I forgot what a great book it is. I actually like Half Blood Prince better than Phoenix. Actually, I wanted to smack the crap out of Harry in Phoenix. He seems to back to his usual in HBP.

Bring on Deathly Hallows.
Old 07-18-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About a quarter through Order of the Phoenix. I think, out of the first 4, Prisoner is the strongest installment. It's not bloated and there's no real lull.

Now caught up on the movies, minus Order, due to the fact that it's only getting released here tomorrow. Plus, I'd like to finish reading the book first. Like the books, I'd say Prisoner is also the strongest film so far. My second time through the Goblet adaptation made me realize that it wasn't as good as I remember it - and certainly not as good as Prisoner. I'm anxious to see film 5.
-ringding-
Old 07-19-07, 02:32 PM

I just finished HBP last night. On the whole, I find that a much more satisfying and interesting book than OotP. There are just too many spots in OotP that I skim through ... Hagrid's brother, SPEW, etc. I still believe that OotP is quite bloated and would really benefit from a little belt tightening.