Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Kurt Vonnegut RIP [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 11:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
When they said "rich and irrelevant", I took it to mean that he had enough money later in his career, that it was irrelevant what he wrote afterwards. He didn't have to mince words.

Huh? Are you saying that he had enough money that he didn't have to worry about writing direct statements? Because that's not what the phrase "rich and irrelevant" means.
Old 04-21-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw the FOX news thing on youtube. Man, there are some sensitive people on the 'net and people who are so closed minded, they're going to say anything to try to discredit FOX.

When they said "rich and irrelevant", I took it to mean that he had enough money later in his career, that it was irrelevant what he wrote afterwards. He didn't have to mince words.

And they said that he made no impact until he wrote "Cats Cradle". Hardly insulting.

Some people need to get a life.
I'm not going to lose sleep over the piece, but it was surprisingly negative in tone. I even tried to give the writer the benefit of the doubt and say that he was trying some kind of vonnegut-inspired sarcasm, but he doesn't have the charisma to make it work.

That the producer allowed that through says a lot about the organization.

I have a great life, but that's kind of surprising to see.
Old 04-22-07, 12:14 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw the FOX news thing on youtube. Man, there are some sensitive people on the 'net and people who are so closed minded, they're going to say anything to try to discredit FOX.

And they said that he made no impact until he wrote "Cats Cradle". Hardly insulting.

Some people need to get a life.
I took it to mean that he wasn't the icon that he was earlier in his career.
Old 04-22-07, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I'm trying to get caught up here... I'm a big fan of Kurt's and have read most of his books, I'm a conservative who does not think he is a liberal hack, I am not offended by the orbit, I did not even hear about him in high school even though I took honors english lit classes, and I think he was great without being one of "the Greats".

Now who am I suposed to be mad at in this thread?
Old 04-22-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
OK, I'm trying to get caught up here... I'm a big fan of Kurt's and have read most of his books, I'm a conservative who does not think he is a liberal hack, I am not offended by the orbit, I did not even hear about him in high school even though I took honors english lit classes, and I think he was great without being one of "the Greats".
"Great without being one of 'the Greats.' " I like that.