Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Classics Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 02:22 PM
Wag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Classics Question

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on publishers that offer nicely put together hard covers, particularly ones that put out the "classics", that are also affordable. My wife and I would like to read more of the "must reads" from literary history, and revisit "required reading books" from high school and college, that can now be enjoyed at a more leisurely pace. I wouldn't even mind if they were annotated, even if done with just footnoting.

Obviously one solution would be to just check them out from the library, but then we run into the "leisurely pace" issue, as we both tend to read more on the slow side...not to mention the fact I always seem to have at least 3-5 books I am reading at any given time. Suffice it to say, we'd rather buy them and have them around for future rereadings, and for our children. To sum it up, we just like books! hehe

Another solution would be the cheap paperbacks, but that kind of defeats the "keeping around for future enjoyment" issue, as they get beat to hell pretty easily...at least the mass market paperback type does. Not to mention, they don't look very nice on the bookshelf.

I'll start off by saying that I love Easton Press books. The covers are sturdy and pretty to look at, the bindings are very strong, the the paper used on the pages are nice and thick, the books have nice and readable printing, they have nice full color illustrations...downside is that they are pretty darn expensive. I know...you get what you pay for. They obviously spend alot of time and effort producing those books, and are able to charge premium prices for that quality.

But because of the price, I have only been able to justify buying a few sets. If I had an unlimited budget I think I'd just go crazy on their books, but since I don't, I won't.

I have some Everyman's Library books, and they seem like a pretty good compromise...the covers are generally nice for display, the printing is fine, though a little on the smaller side depending on the book, all for a much cheaper price. Downside is that the paper can be a little thin (can see hints of printing on the other side), there are little to no illustrations inside, and the cover doesn't feel as heavy duty...because it isn't...but like I said, the books cost alot less.

I have seen those leather(ish) bound collections that Barnes and Noble, and some other book stores have, and those seem like a pretty nice compromise as well...they are very sturdy, but the problem I have with them, the same I have with alot of those collection type books, is that the printing is soooooo small. And frankly, the bigger books are hard to read in bed. Though none of that has been a problem with the 3 volume set of Annotated Sherlock Holmes I am reading. The books are a little big, but the presentation with the printing, paper quality, and illustrations make up for that.